Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
2004 forester sti
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So ive just bought a set of headlamps on ebay the guy said they were in good condition but obviously his idea of good isn't the same as mine .
the main reason for getting these was to polish up the lens and put them on mine as mine have that age related micro cracking if that's the right word . I have done a reasonable job polishing them but their just not good enough to go on .
so my question is can you buy just the lens or do have to buy the whole light ?

also can any one on here get hold of kontkret he has or had a set head lights for sale but he seems to have gone awol again .

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,762 Posts
Reactions: Natedog

·
Premium Member
2004 forester sti
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Instead of dealing with old housings and lenses, maybe retrofit projectors in place of the reflectors?

I have some Morimotos still waiting to go in - Maybe one day I'll find the time to fit them
https://www.theretrofitsource.com/
some nice stuff on their priced very reasonably @£60 unfortunately they all seem to be for the face lift

·
Premium Member
2004 forester sti
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,762 Posts
The lens comes complete with the front piece of the casing

I would assume from that, the early HID units are constructed differently to accommodate the ballast assembly underneath, or they didn't get around to supplying the parts separately.

·
Premium Member
2004 forester sti
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the answer is you can get the lenses, just only with a bit that can be taken off if you don't need it . ive taken this bit apart just to the lens .
now how much is it in old money ?

·
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,762 Posts
For Halogen headlight same part numbers as UK cars

84990SA020 Lens & Extension RH
84990SA030 Lens & Extension LH

84940SA020 Gasket seal

·
Registered
2005 Forester 2.5 STI Manual
284 Posts
the answer is you can get the lenses, just only with a bit that can be taken off if you don't need it . ive taken this bit apart just to the lens .
now how much is it in old money ?
How easy was it as i need to take mine apart due to internal hazing. (**** knows how that happened but there you go)

Ive seen the Youtube vid's and it doesnt seem that hard....

·
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,762 Posts

i took my WRX STI headlights apart and used the oven to warm them up. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
2004 forester sti
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How easy was it as i need to take mine apart due to internal hazing. (**** knows how that happened but there you go)

Ive seen the Youtube vid's and it doesnt seem that hard....
check out the chemical guys vid youtube , it says when you start to opening it up after pre heating start at the bottom to avoid marking the top with screw drivers ect
the ones I bought from ebay just fell apart after removing the screws , obviously been apart before .

·
Registered
284 Posts
yeah ive been watching numerous youtube vids so fairly confident in how to do it, though they suggest a temperature lower than my oven can go so ill just have to check it more often etc. or use the heat gun on the outside of the lens.

Just wondered if it was as easy as they made it look or more time consuming?

Also, has anyone else had hazing on the inside?

·
Premium Member
2004 forester sti
2,008 Posts
so ive now done this job ! I used a heat gun moving it around a lot so as to warm evenly ( mrs Lockheed didn't want it in the oven ! she said she would go to her mothers again if I did) I now have new lenses with black surrounds .
Ive got to say its not as easy as youtube suggests . after removing all retainers and screws .
I used a wide blunt ish chisel and started at the bottom levered the tabs up and forced it into the seal and twisted apart , this takes a lot of force . I found once slightly apart wedge something in the gap to give your self a breather continue to warm with heat gun all round the seal.
once the lens gets used to the idea its coming apart go round all of the bottom part of the lens twisting your wide chisel . continue to warm all the way round .
when it comes apart it will try and bring its self back together so wedge something in the gap , your hands will be tired at this point and you will be wondering if you should have started this . but continue to warm and it will come apart .

to reseal I used a butyl sealant and continued to warm the new and old sealant until the case and the lens were snug then refitted the screws and retainers . I wasn't to confident about the success of the seal so I jet washed the head lights ……….. I found them to be water tight , it took me a morning to do

·
Registered
2006 STI
6,966 Posts
@kingstonjames have you looked into treating the inside? I'd be worried about doing anything to the inside as the heat of the lamp could cause it to go bad again quite quickly.

I've seen a few people warn against it, but I've never looked into it in any real detail.

I have a patch on the inside that could do with attention, but equally isn't bad enough to worry about.

·
Registered
284 Posts
No, ill need to look into it but i was just going to to use the cutting compound 'polishes' i use on the exterior of the car. Ive done them before on the exterior of the lights and they come up like new.

The butyl i ordered turned up today so ill look into removing the front bumper this week and then the lights. Bit of a 'mission' mind you but there you go

·
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,762 Posts
do you need to take the bumper off to get at the head lights on the face lift ?
Don't think so.
9. Headlight Assembly
A: REMOVAL
1) Disconnect the ground cable from the battery.
2) Remove the air intake duct (when right side
headlight is removed). <Ref. to IN (H4SO)-5, REMOVAL,
Air Cleaner Case.>
3) Remove the front bumper. <Ref. to EI-21, REMOVAL,
Front Bumper.>

4) Remove the four bolts and disconnect the connectors,
and then detach the headlight assembly.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts