Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
2012 camry se 6AT
2,809 Posts
My 2003 Forester officially became a statistic. My dealership comfirm headgasket failure today. Although I am officially out of warranty, 60,120 miles to be exact when I left it at the dealership service center, the dealership will submit a warranty fix free of charge. And I am very thankful for the service manager doing so. My portion of this will be $50 for the techs to work around the modification under the hood. I was told the dealer charge a flat rate of $50 for working on any part of the car that has been modified. I suppose this is the mod penalty which I am more than willing to pay to have the headgasket replace on behalf of Subaru.

It all started about 4 weeks ago that I notice the coolant in the resevoir was low. Within the 4 weeks I topped off the resevoir tank twice. As a habit I have always check the fluids in my car regularly every two weeks. I checked for coolant leaks and found traces near the driver side steering rack booth. There were never any coolant puddles under the car. Even after the driving the car for an extended period of time allowing the engine to warm up. From my understanding, the coolant leak is slow and occur when engine is warm. During the time, I did not smell burnt coolant from inside the car while driving. Though the burnt coolant smell is apparent from outside the car once the engine warms up. The failed headgasket occurred around cylinder bank 3.

This is really a bummer but I am happy it will be covered under warranty. During the phase of detecting the coolant leak, the motor to the driver side window failed and nails tore the sidewall of my Falken 512s as well. I was a bit down on my luck and bank funds. Talk about insult to injury. I replaced the 512s with 225/45/17s Continetal ContiExtremeContacts and the motor to the driver side window is being shipped. **sigh** Thank goodness I don't have to sell a kidney now.

Even though the WWP-99 is stated only to effect 99-02 Subarus, I suggest all Subaru owners to use the coolant conditioner. There have been numerous additional TSBs and service tips stating the addictive to be use in pretty much all models now.

http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2993

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,129 Posts
Good news? Well at least about the headgasket being covered under warranty. That would be too chicken**** to deny saying you were past the 60K mark.

Have you ever had your car serviced at this dealer before?

·
Premium Member
2012 camry se 6AT
2,809 Posts
I brought my car to the dealer where my it was purchased. I have never service the car there after the it rolled off the lot. I was quite surprise when I got the phone call. No hassle. The service advisor did mentioned my car seem a bit low for a Forester. :icon_wink:

Sir, you have a failed headgasket and though you are pass the 60K mile powertrain warranty our service manager will be submitting a warranty repair...

:woohoo:

·
The convert formely known as Lexusfreak
2003 XS
3,970 Posts
tre, have you always used the Subaru coolant & conditioner for this car?

·
Premium Member
2012 camry se 6AT
2,809 Posts
I never use the coolant conditioner. Didn't bother because the WWP-99 Campaign only list to use in vehicles 98-02. I was told by the service advisor when the campaign started that it was okay not to use it. But the advisor now said with the new headgasket the coolant conditioner should be use.

·
'03 XS MT PSM
2015 Ford Focus ST
2,371 Posts
Hmmm... looks like time for a coolant flush for me...

·
admin
2019 3.6R & 98 Forester Atlanta, GA
7,254 Posts
Yeah, I will be do in the spring for my 06 XT.....I'll be using the conditioner too.
I'm using it it mine too. Cheap insurance.

·
'03 XS MT PSM
2015 Ford Focus ST
2,371 Posts
I'm due for a flush but I don't wanna do it this weekend. Too many things lined up already... :( Do you need to use the Subaru branded coolant or can I just use Prestone and add the conditioner?

·
Premium Member
2012 camry se 6AT
2,809 Posts
To be safe, I would use Subaru brand coolant and conditioner. With all the TSBs and service tips from SOA recommending the use of only their products, it may be leverage to deny warranty if anything happens. I think I was lucky. The people at that dealer knows that my family and friends all buy their cars there. I think the SF.org license plate frame had something to do with it too. :icon_wink:

·
admin
7,254 Posts
I use Subaru branded coolant. That way if there ever is a problem the coolant used will not be an issue.

·
'03 XS MT PSM
2015 Ford Focus ST
2,371 Posts
I checked mine when I got home. It's at the same level it's been at for a long long time... so no loss... phew...

·
admin
7,254 Posts
I checked mine when I got home. It's at the same level it's been at for a long long time... so no loss... phew...
Your lucky, I've used a very small amount consistently since new. I don't worry about it and just keep an eye on it.

·
Premium Member
2015 OutBack Ltd
2,931 Posts
Damn!

It turns out that this problem also affects the 03s and up? A while ago, I participated in a thread about this and went off a bit about the SGs not being as reliable as I had thought.

Don't know who told me to calm down but someone wiser than me said there were no issues with the SGs......it appears that the correct answer would have included the disclaimer....no problems YET.

Rats. I'm at 85K miles and charging up towards 90. All of my driving is highway and very sedate. Maybe this horror won't happen to me since I'm not driving an XT and drive moderately.......I hope.

Oh well, meanwhile, my wife's 1998 CRV is at 111k miles and no problems.

Sigh........don't want the "I told you" discussion to start.

Steve

·
Premium Member
2012 camry se 6AT
2,809 Posts
Steve, I see it as a hit and miss. No one can guess it. I know people with pre MY03 Subarus with no issues. If you aren't using Subaru coolant and the conditioner yet, I suggest to do so.

I'm on vacation and stuck at home without a car. It sucks.

·
Recovering Modaholic
1,304 Posts
I might have to do a flush, I had to top off my resevoir the other day for the first time since new (24k miles) is the head gasket issue a TSB?

·
Premium Member
2012 camry se 6AT
2,809 Posts
All new Subarus manufactured with the Phase II EJ25, including the turbo engines so yes it includes the F-XTs, since June 2003 is prefilled with the conditioner from manufacturing location. WWP-99 address vehicles from MY99-MY02 because the conditioner was not use then. It also mentioned that the conditioner should be added for drain/fill and not just flush/fill.

http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2666

TSB 09-42-05 addresses the corrosion problems in all models and genuine Subaru coolant and conditioner need to be used.

http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=4016

WWY-9 is to address the need to flush and fill Subaru genuine coolant and conditioner to all MY06 Baja, Legacy, Outbacks, and B9 that did not get the subaru coolant or conditioner. I guess SOA miss some production runs.

Hope that makes things a bit more clear. I spoke with the service advisor to get an update on the car today and she stated that all Subaru vehicles need to use genuine Subaru coolant and conditioner.

·
Premium Member
2015 OutBack Ltd
2,931 Posts
wow!

Thanks for this critical info. I'm coming up on my 90K service soon at my STS place and will get the Subia coolant and conditioner, just to be sure although I'm so far out of warranty that, should something happen, the coolant issue probably won't help me much as far as warranty coverage goes.

I checked my overflow tank when the engine was cold last nite and the level is where it always is when cold....at the low mark on the tank.

Ah, worries....what would we do without them?

Steve

·
Registered
2003 Forester X
117 Posts
I had a rad flush at a lube joint and later read about the Subaru conditioner and coolant. Went to the dealer and picked up the conditioner ($5.00 CDN) and put it in the rad after taking out an equal amount of coolant, then went for a 1,000 km ride to mix it up.
I'll use the conditioner and the coolant from Subaru next time but for now, I'll take my chances with the non-sub coolant. I have a hard time believing they would manufacture their own coolant AND have a separate conditioner. Wouldn't you just incorporate the conditioner in your "special" coolant?
SS

1 - 20 of 23 Posts