Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Mr. April 2008, Image Master
2005 X
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone wraping their headers? Just curious if your having rust issues???

D

·
0 Posts
In my old car I had put a set of new Hotshot ceramic coated headers and they started to rust, it's the extreme temps that really put a strain on the headers, I think they all eventually rust no matter what. Wrapping them will hide the rust and keep them cooler.

·
Registered
154 Posts
yeah I have header wrap on my OEM headers ( I don't know why I must have been really bored or somthing) the only issues with it is if you do any amount of off-roading (hitting thing on the bottoming-out) they start to tear ofter wise you should be ok

C

·
0 Posts
I wrapped mine thinking it would fix the CEL making the cat burn hotter. I had read this helps in several subaru forums. It didn't. The thing that did finally fix it was the mechanical fix I purchased from someone in this forum. It's just an extension that seems to get the O2 sensor out of the direct exhast stream.

What the wrapping did do was took a very small part of the tinny sound out of my borla headers. I won't undo it, but I wouldn't do it again. I like the sound more, but it only made a very small difference.

I was reading a site that explained wrapping headers helped with scavenging, something that can help the exhaust flow. I'm just not that into it I guess.

·
2005 X
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just got my wrap today. Now I'm waiting on the bands I ordered and it'll be ON!

·
I Heart Beer
2000 Forester L
714 Posts
The Wraith said:
I just got my wrap today. Now I'm waiting on the bands I ordered and it'll be ON!
so, did you wrap your headers yet, i'm gonna be tearing down my exhaust soon and getting all new gaskets and bolts and was thinking about wraping my headers too, is it worth while or just a waste of money. i'm soon to be fully stainless steel exhausted'ed

·
2005 X
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
MY00Forest said:
so, did you wrap your headers yet, i'm gonna be tearing down my exhaust soon and getting all new gaskets and bolts and was thinking about wraping my headers too, is it worth while or just a waste of money. i'm soon to be fully stainless steel exhausted'ed
This is a dilema I'm dealing with right now. I've read so many bad things about wrapping my headers I'm unsure if I'm going to do it now.

·
I Heart Beer
2000 Forester L
714 Posts
hmmm, not sure
i haven't done any research on them at all, guess i'll wait on it then. i have heard that snow and such will tear the wrap up and i can't go for more than a week without tearing up some gravel roads or dirt

·
2005 X
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Basically what I've found is this. Wrapping the header reduces scavenging in the cylinders. The extra insulation retains heat in the headers. This is good for the scavenging problem but keeps heat longer in the header witch can cause the metal to break down quicker. I guess some "nascar" teams used to use it to increase HP but by the end of the race the only thing holding the headers together was the wrarp...
All of these stories I'm reading say bad, then they say good. Basically how I see it is that Borla will not waranty my header if I wrap it. That to me is enough to not wrap it. If you want to I have a roll here unused 2"x50" long. Cost me $26 shipped I'll get rid of it for that if you want it...
BTW, SubiGal You have any of these issues?

·
Registered
2010 dodge caravan auto
1,748 Posts
I had it on my old VER4 STI great investment, I would do it. No rusting at all on the symms headers I had

·
Registered
1998 Forester S
78 Posts
(blows dust off thread)

I have wrapped those on my daily driver
and on my rally car

no CEL's no issues
and the wrap keeps things cool....

Jamie
I wish I had a rally car.

I just wrapped the stock exhaust manifold on my fozz. I couldn't stand the rattly heat shields anymore, so I tore them completely off while the header was out of the car during my recent engine reseal. I decided to go with heat wrap and I found a great deal on it at Fiberglass header wrap.
I followed the numerous instructions I found online, was a very easy and straight forward install. I cleaned the manifold of any loose rust, sanded and wiped down followed by two coats of Duplicolor high temp paint (to 1600F). After it dried (to fully cure it has to be heated from running the engine for so long), I made the wrap wet in a bucket of water and started wrapping starting from the engine side working to the CAT side. I overlapped about a half inch each wrap all the way to the flange at the CAT. I initially secured the beginning by wrapping over itself and when I was finished wrapping, put a clamp over to hold it permanently.
After it was all wrapped I let it dry in the sun for a day and then sealed it with about 3 coats of the duplicolor high temp paint. I let this dry for the next several days until I got the motor put back in to the car.
To cure the high temp paint and the wrap, I first idled the car for about ten minutes and then let it cool. After I felt confident that the motor was running properly (no issues, woohoo!) I took the car into town and back, about 6 miles 1 way at 60-65 mph, to get it good and hot. When it got fully hot the first time, at one of the lights in town, and I was sitting still, it was smoking like crazy. I thoght something was on fire at first, so I pulled over and checked with my fire extinguisher at the ready (always prepared:biggrin:). Everything was fine though and the smoke and stink was mostly gone within a day. 2 weeks later, there is no remaining smell and I can touch the hot pipe with a bare hand and not get burned (as long as I don't let it there). And it looks awesome in my opinion. The only real problem I can see is having an oil leak get on the wrap and laying there instead of burning off the pipe right away. I'll just have to keep an eye on the underside of the motor and take care of any leaks pronto instead of letting them go for a while:biggrin:. As far as causing rust issues, only time will tell. If the pipe does go, I'll have a good excuse to find a stainless UEL header, sounds like a win-win to me:Banane17:
I'll post pictures tonight if I can figure out the photobucket process.

·
Registered
1998 Forester S
78 Posts
pics!

http://i940.photobucket.com/albums/ad245/jcoov1104/IMG_1700.jpg

http://i940.photobucket.com/albums/ad245/jcoov1104/IMG_1711.jpg

http://i940.photobucket.com/albums/ad245/jcoov1104/IMG_1743.jpg

http://i940.photobucket.com/albums/ad245/jcoov1104/IMG_1745.jpg

http://i940.photobucket.com/albums/ad245/jcoov1104/IMG_1763.jpg

Yeah, I know, that's a fram filter in that last pic, but I had already bought it before I read all the negative info about them. I'm gonna change the oil at 1500 or 2000 miles this next time since I had the engine apart and then I'm gonna use a stock filter.

·
Premium Member
2008 XT Sports
587 Posts
I had wrapped a steel / "ceramic coated" header on my 4Runner way back when.

The wrap works.
But the heat was enough to bust a seam on the tubing (hmm - it wasnt DOM, probably EWR?) and then rust out a rather large hole. The ox leak fooled the 02 sensor, the engine ran really rich and MPG went from 19/21 to like 16/19.

I didn't wrap the replacement...

·
Registered
2015 Forester X 6MT 6-Gear Manual
1,373 Posts
Unless you have high-gage st-steel, then the wrap will cause the header pipes within 6 inches of the exhaust port to overheat to the melting point of steel. This happened on my 327 Vega drag car - trashed a $400- set of special fenderwall race headers. Proceed with caution.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts