Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, so I have uel headers on my fozzie and have some eBay “lava” wrap on now but I want to switch to some DEI titanium wrap and I’ve read you can add some Thermo Tec high heat coating to “seal” the wrap, will it work at all?? I also live in Colorado so will they rust?
Thank you.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
40,093 Posts
@2.5 subie if the headers are not stainless steel, they will rust, especially if your State salts the roads in the winter. The hot salty moisture will be trapped next to the pipe... pretty much the perfect environment for rusting! :icon_eek:

Also, it's nearly impossible to get a good wrap with the headers installed, so you'll want to pull them off. :wink:

We have DEI Titanium exhaust wrap on my son's '03 X up & down pipe... AVO Turbo kit installed. :biggrin:

The DEI Titanium goes on dry & no addition coating is required or recommended.

You can view our DEI Titanium exhaust wrap installation Here:

AVO Turbo Kit - Part 8a - Turbo/up-pipe wrapped!
AVO Turbo Kit - Part 8b - Downpipe/CAT is wrapped!

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Registered
1999 Forester S
492 Posts
The sealant will sort of work. Will make it more difficult for moisture to get in, but look at how the wrap is manufactured. Its basically a sponge. Moisture will get in.

As for the rusting, yes, it will rust no matter what if you drive in the wet. Doesn't matter if its stainless steel, that is just more rust resistant than mild steel.

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
2,241 Posts
Ditto on the rusting...
Wrap on a passenger car exhaust system is just an expensive way to get premature header failure.
The performance benefits are minimal to non-existent, while the damage due to corrosion is near certain.
One thing I've seen that looked interesting was a ceramic coat, which unlike wraps, actually prevents corrosion.
Of course it doesn't have the "leg warmer look" if that's what you are going for...

·
Registered
1999 Forester S
492 Posts
Ditto on the rusting...
One thing I've seen that looked interesting was a ceramic coat, which unlike wraps, actually prevents corrosion....
I had my uppipe coated by SwainTech's White Lightening coating about 8 years ago. Zero flaking, zero damage eight years later...

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had wrap on my motorcycle for 6 years. It was also my only mode of transportation and i rode in the rain often. There was some rust, but no holes and nothing for me to really worry about. If i were to do it again, i would look into using some high temp paint or ceramic coating to be sure. With the salt in your case, i think it may be best for a coating between.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts