Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a cd jammed in my head unit. i tried to fix it myself and had no luck so i am ready for an upgrade.
I am so confused when i try to look at crutchfield or anywhere else to narrow down what i need.
I am replacing the stock HU on an 07xt w/subwoofer.
What i am looking for is an HU with bluetooth and will work with my Sirius and Ipod. Cd Changer isn't really that important to me. DVD is cool but not necessary.

What brands should i stick with? Clarion, Dual, Pioneer, Kenwood.
I am trying not to go much higher than $300 if possible
I looked at another thread here on the Pioneer Premier FH-P800BT. Thats in the price range but i cant find out if it will connect to my Sirius satellite.

·
Premium Member
07 Forester XT
6,792 Posts
Pretty much any of the major brands will be about the same at the $300 mark. Just find one with the features you need. Doesn't your 07 have full warranty left, you can take the CD player back to the dealer.

·
Super Moderator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
35,924 Posts
Crutchfield is an excellent place to buy for the first timer, especially if you might need technicial support. There is a price for their excellent technicial support, they're on the expensive side. You will loose the factory/OEM subwoofer when you upgrade, but there are ways to retain it. Take a look here at my installations to get an idea what it will require. Overall, it's a very easy upgrade. :wink:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
not sure about the warranty. i have 40k and i bought it in march. regardless, i wanted something with bluetooth for my phone. Also the display for the satellite info cuts off the end of song/band info. that kind of sux. and i wanted ipod controls on the head unit.
i wanted to see if anyone had any experience replacing the stock HU and had success with a particular unit.
i will look into the warranty. if it is still good ill get it fixed and keep it if i ever sell the car.

2.5x_sleeper
Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Anybody have a Pioneer FH-P8000BT. Looks like it got the best reviews. it has all the goodies i need. There was a similar unit Kenwood DPX503 with good reviews but almost everyone said you cant see the display in the daytime.
LEGACY-
Warranty covers the radio. The dealer is fixing it monday. well i guess sending it out to be fixed anyway but its not costing me anything. i didnt even think to check if this was covered before. My 3year 36k ended march 6th but i did get extended.

·
Premium Member
07 Forester XT
6,792 Posts
LEGACY-
Warranty covers the radio. The dealer is fixing it monday. well i guess sending it out to be fixed anyway but its not costing me anything. i didnt even think to check if this was covered before. My 3year 36k ended march 6th but i did get extended.

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f77/kenwood-dnx5140-navigation-system-install-57827/

I put a Kenwood DNX5140 (6140 has bult in blue tooth, its optional add-on with 5140), its more than $300 but probably on clearout right now. Now get your OEM deck fixed and sell it cheap to me so my wife can play MP3's in her car. :biggrin:

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
You will loose the factory/OEM subwoofer when you upgrade, but there are ways to retain it.
The Pioneer FH-P8000BT specs say it has a Sub Preamp output. Pioneer FH-P8000BT CD receiver at Crutchfield.com Would that connect to the pre under my seat?
"Individual number of RCA outputs that are coupled with a built-in low-pass crossover for connection to a subwoofer amplifier. "
Legacy-
do you have anything laying around the garage you might want to trade for the stock hu? or partial trade or something. pm me

·
Super Moderator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
35,924 Posts
I never liked the sound from the rear factory/OEM subwoofer. Unless you're going to install a big honking subwoofer. I'd recommend Kenwood KSC-SW10. My installation pictures are here. You can get a better view of where the subwoofer is mounted on the second picture here when I removed the passenger seat. :wink:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

·
Registered
02 WRX
5 Posts
$300 will get great audio performance from virtually any manufacturer. Where they differ is the GUI. I have a $300+ Pioneer that I absolutely hate as I didn't think about fooling with the interface more before I bought it. It is a non-intuitive mess for simple operations like resetting the clock. Or, if you lose power it goes into a demo mode that cannot be undone without going through multiple pages to find the off setting. Try before you buy.

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f77/kenwood-dnx5140-navigation-system-install-57827/

I put a Kenwood DNX5140 (6140 has bult in blue tooth, its optional add-on with 5140), its more than $300 but probably on clearout right now. Now get your OEM deck fixed and sell it cheap to me so my wife can play MP3's in her car. :biggrin:
i just took my car to the dealer and my Gold warranty covers the HU but there is a $100 deductible. Thats beat! Its dog meat now. im just gonna keep the stock & put it back in if i ever sell the ride.

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Shame, not worth spending $100 to fix.
yeah thats beat. i guess that saves them money in the long run. It still has a working aux and sirius for now.
i think im going to pull the trigger on the Pioneer FH-P8000BT. Buy.com has them for $237 with ship.
It has a Sub Pre out so i will take my chances at hooking up the sub in the rear since it is already there. Who makes the stock speakers for subaru?
That Kenwood sub under the seat is a REAL nice setup though. :rock: and your install guide is great.

Im happy with the sound i get with the stock speakers, im not really blasting it though. The only think i notice when i do crank it is the door speakers sound a little flatulent on the outside of the car. A little padding can help that out but i dont feel like taking the door apart. I think the Hi's mid's and low's are balanced nicely when at a reasonable volume, i usually go -1 on the low's. I have a studio @ home and i mix on high end monitors then A-B on a crappy old radio but the last line of defense is the car. The car will expose hi, low end and volume deficiency to me quicker than my studio monitors.

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
just purchased a Pioneer FH-P8000BT and a 7 piece trim removal set. i've never done a wire harness before but i can follow instructions hopefully.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts