Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Forester
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How important are the heat shields (is that what they are?) that protect the CAT and upper exhaust? Some are rusted, in really bad shape, and in the way. Any harm in just tearing them off?

·
Registered
02 Forester L (sold) Manual
1,220 Posts
I believe their main purpose in life is to keep the exhaust temperature higher for cleaner emissions. That's the reason they began life on Subarus back in the 1970s. I'd wonder if removing them would make any difference to the O2 sensors.

Mine apparently were getting rattly for the PO because someone tack welded them together.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Shields may also protect the body paint from high temperatures> paint failure> corrosion.

There's not enough heat shield to protect the pax side CV axle inner boot on my 99 Forester. It failed w/ enormous volumes of black smoke from grease on the catalytic converter. It scared my daughter badly who thought the car was on fire.

good luck

·
Registered
2000 Forester
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I see. I'll probably tear them off as they are in the way while I troubleshoot and repair stuff and put them all back later. Not surprised ddavidv inherited those welds...but dang, what a pain if you need to get in there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts