Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
excuse my ignorgance. my recently purchased 2001 forester with 85000 miles will be getting a new head gasket this week with subaru footing the bill. my question is this. does the existing timing belt and water pump need to be removed for this replacement of the head gasket? if so, should i have a new timing belt and water pump installed for the price of the parts? sounds like a no brainer to me since the belt should be replaced at 105,000 miles anyway.

·
Registered
1998 Forester "S" lifted. Bog-o-matic
2,006 Posts
If the dealer is willing to do it (and I do not see why not), then it is a good idea.

However the water pump does not have to be removed when doing headgaskets so you may be looking at some additional labour to R&R the unit (probably about half hour labour)

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT Touring CVT
790 Posts
how did you find out that your head gasket was going bad if you dont mind me asking? i just bought a 2001 with 79k miles and i have 97k on it now. just wondering what i should be looking for. i thought the phase II engines didnt have as much problems with head gaskets like the phase I

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
sschmelcke said:
how did you find out that your head gasket was going bad if you dont mind me asking? i just bought a 2001 with 79k miles and i have 97k on it now. just wondering what i should be looking for. i thought the phase II engines didnt have as much problems with head gaskets like the phase I

Phase 1 the headgaskets blew (internal leekage into the combustion chamber)

Phase 2 they had seepage problems (coolant drips out of headgakset)

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT Touring CVT
790 Posts
great....i hope that never happens. i guess when i change the coolant i must use the additive again?

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
sschmelcke said:
great....i hope that never happens. i guess when i change the coolant i must use the additive again?
Yep.

Anytime the coolant is changed you will need to add the additive.

It is only $1.50 or so.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i found out i needed a head gasket when visiting the subaru dealer where i bought the car for some repairs to be done after the sale. the service manager advised me that the head gasket was leaking and that this was a problem on models up to and including 2003. the service manager stated that the repair was covered under a subaru warranty for 8 year and 100,000 miles. i was very lucky. i found that a new timiing belt cost about $90.00. i am going to ask them to replace the timing belt for the cost of the part since i have learned that the timing belt must be removed to replace the head gasket.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Hopefully all of you that are having this warranty repair done will not have the fiasco I had happen to you.

Bought the car with 89K. Had the gasket replaced under warranty. Over the next 20k, coolant slowly leaked into the combustion chambers of each cylinder. Over this time, the walls became so badly etched that I was going through 1.6 quarts of oil every 900 miles. Thankfully I had bought an extended warranty that footed $4000 of the $5389 that it took to get a new shortblock installed. While I had the motor out, I had them put on new hoses and belts and spark plugs. Everything else seems just fine now.

The positive side to this mess is that I have a car with a fresh new lease on life. As long as everything else stays maintained (the original owner was less than stellar on maintenance, at the 90k checkup, it was found out the original plugs and wires were still installed) it should last me a while. It is so nice to have such a clean motor on a car with so many miles. :D

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts