Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about buying the extended warranty b/c of all that I have read about the vehicle's previous head gasket issues. Do 2009 and 2010 Foresters have redesigned head gaskets or should I anticipate failure at some point? I thought I should ask even though it is probably still too early to tell about tje long term reliability of the latest Foresters.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,162 Posts
I am thinking about buying the extended warranty b/c of all that I have read about the vehicle's previous head gasket issues. Do 2009 and 2010 Foresters have redesigned head gaskets or should I anticipate failure at some point? I thought I should ask even though it is probably still too early to tell about tje long term reliability of the latest Foresters.
Gasket has been designed on the NA engine. Probably more leak prone bc of the open deck design and the fact that it has two head surfaces.

I think the Turbo is better.

Welcome to the board

·
Premium Member
2015 OutBack Ltd
2,929 Posts
To clarify, I think ADC means to say that the head gaskets were "redesigned" for the 2009-2010 models BUT the N/A will never be as strong as the XT models because the engine block for the XTs has more internal webbing which keeps the cylinder bores from deflecting while the floating bore design is prone to some degree of movement.

This comes into play when the N/A engine is stressed by, for example, starting out with a cold engine and beating on it. The block and heads expand at different rates as the engine heats up which causes some gasket "creep".....and that, apparently, is what starts the gasket failing.

So: drive an N/A easily, let it warm up before hard driving and you should be okay. My 03, knock metal, is at 129K and has not had HGs yet..........

Good luck,

Steve

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice. Since this is our first Subaru and first SUV, we are naturally concerned about the unknown.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts