Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester XT MT
1,433 Posts
Haven't heard of those. Stick with stuff that's already been tested by the Impreza guys. Helix and Megan are pretty popular right now. Both companies make great affordable coilovers.

·
No more Foz !
03 Impreza Sti
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah but these guys do a Forester specific model as I just want a small drop and not slam it to the ground. A couple of guys have them at Gtrydaz.com but I wanted to get some more feedback..

I'm also looking at Tein Super Wagon or Tein Type Wagon Dampers which are available as a Forester specific kit if anyone has these..

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Hi Pete,

Did I miss something - I checked the link but could only see WRX or Liberty as Subaru applications. Do you have more info?

Ian

·
No more Foz !
03 Impreza Sti
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No other links at the moment but guys over at Gtyrdaz.com in aus say that they have a Forester specific - if I can get some more info I'll let you know..

The Whiteline inserts look promising though and I received some info from Tein who do three different specs of coilovers that are for the Forester.. :)

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Hi Pete,

You may have seen this info. by now but just in case you have not:

This is the Japanese Tein website home page - English version
http://www.tein.co.jp/indexe.html

This is a page for an adjustable coilover called "GT Wagon Damper":
http://www.tein.co.jp/gtw2se.html

There is a version developed specifically for the Forester. The figures look interesting -

"Recommended ride height adjustment range"
Ft:-88to-35mm
Rr:-78to-21mm

So they are able to be set at under an inch drop at the rear & a bit over an inch at the front which means you could run them with a drop not too far off that of the FSti pink springs.

The maximum range shows them to have a max. ride height of stock less 14mm at the front & less 11mm at the rear.

The spring rate/length is shown as:
Front 6.0k/250mm
Rear 5.0k/225mm
(I don't know what that is in lbs/in)

The shocks have 16 way adjustment

The UK Tein Distributor should be able to ship them in but no doubt the price will be higher.

Edit: This may be a bit inaccurate but,
The website shows Tein Htechs at 51,957 Yen inc. tax in Japan - I got a price from Tein Uk for bringing them to UK of £229 inc vat.
The Gtwagon dampers are 160,650 yen inc TAX - so, they could be around £700 a set inc vat in the UK.

It looks an interesting product, I wish I had a Japanese cousin :)

Ian

·
No more Foz !
03 Impreza Sti
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Ian
Yeah - funny enough I was looking into these on Friday but haven't had a chance to follow them up. I got a good response from emailing Tein UK - apparantly there are three options - copied the email below
Hi Peter

For Forester SG5

Wagon damper, DSS50-U1SS2 list price GBP550.00 + vat.

Ride height only adjustment Front range -35mm to -85mm Rear range -46mm to -85mm in comparison to OEM.

SuperWagon DSS50-91SS3 list price GBP720.00+ vat as above, but with rubber uppermounts and 16 levels of damping (compression/ rebound together) adjustments.

GT Wagon GSS50-E1SS3 list price GBP860.00 + vat as Superwagon but has full length height adjustment allowing adjustment of height independent of stroke setting.
Front range -35mm to -85mm rear range -21mm to -78mm.

Both SuperWagon and GT Wagon are compatible with EDFC EDKV1-12120 list price GBP220.00 + vat

To order any of these kits, please contact your Tein dealer. A list is available on our website below.

All are in stock in Japan.

Kind regards
Looks like a very good option - the only other route I'm looking at currently is importing a set of Sti Forester specific pinks struts and springs from japanparts.com - comes to about £600 inc shipping plus import duty and vat.

So need to make a decision here
Impreza Sti struts / Prodrive springs - have already and dead cheap but will slam it into the ground
Whiteline kit - cheapish - but have to modify the existing struts so no going back to standard
HD coilovers - look good but not much feedback and not sure who could import them
Teins - very nice if a bit expensive
Forester Sti Pink struts and springs - still not cheap but genuine sti parts which is in it's favour.
Spoilt for choice ! Who'd have though a couple of weeks ago I had no options other than the impreza gear ! :)

Fancy getting a group buy going on one of the above ' ;) :)

G

·
I've got Tein Type Wagon coilovers on my SF

I bought a set of the Tein Type Wagon coilovers, specific to an SF5, used, with about 5000 miles on them.
To be honest, I'm not very happy with them. They are very stiff, the damping is not adjustable, and the car bounces up and down like, well, a spring every time I go over a bump. I'm trying to figure out what to do about it.

chris

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Sheesh - £860 plus the vat!!!! I think that smacks of a very heavy markup over the cost of shipping.

I wonder what the price would be if bought in the US & posted here? (US to UK is a lot cheaper than the other way around)

A group buy sounds good but it needs a few people to make it attractive to the supplier. Also, I am still trying to convince my better half that I really, really, do need a new set of wheels & tyres 4 months after buying a new car.

Ian :(

·
No more Foz !
03 Impreza Sti
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
They look cool - if I was in the states I would snap those up.. :)

A little bird told me that Powerstation are commissioning some Forester specific AST's - should be available in the next few weeks :)

Out of my price range at the moment unfortunately at about a grand with vat and fitting but would be pretty awesome..a certain UK member of this forum is getting some though and I am very jealous ! :D

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Hi Peter (Bartop),

I know you have gone a different route, but just to round this thread out, here is some feedback on Tein Superwagon coilovers from an Aussie Forester owner on GTrydaz:

Re: Tein Superwagon Coilovers

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Ian

mine is an my06xt
as far as i know they only make one set for the SG5/9 and they are reffered to as super wagon one model suits (xt and sti forester) just make sure they dont confuse them with std wrx teins as they are different spring rates.

The install and maintenance instructions that came with them are in japanese.
4kgf/m i correct i can make that out!!
As for ride
its about the same as riding in a stock 05 WRX or a little bit softer when the dampening is set at its softest, this is how i drive it away, dial up some more dampening and it would be as uncomfortable as an sti. my dad has a 05 wrx so i've driven it. wrx is still way easier to drive quick as i am still running stock tyres and brakes yuck!
am upgrading to 19's and brembos so hopefully handling will be much better then the old mans wrx should be done in a few weeks.

I wouldn't have wanted it any firmer the roads are bad here in queensland.

It picks up a rear wheel when entering driveways on an angle which is pretty cool so this gives you an idea how tight they are, lucky we got lsd diff hey. am very happy with them. will turn your wagon into a sleeper

been rally type platform its easy to change back to factory struts if you want to go camping. cause they are still not soft enough for proper offroad 4wd
Teins are the best quality for the money Japanese have been make'n them for a long time. i payed 2300aus for them so not sure how much pound sterl that would b

all the best
Peter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forestier
Hi XTEED,
Someone on GTrydaz suggested I email you as you have the Tein Superwagon Coilovers fitted.
I am very interested in this setup as the specifications suggest I can have a reasonable drop of 40 or 50mm from stock combined with springs at 4kg so the ride should not be too stiff.
I would really appreciate your impressions of the Tein setup. Paper specifications are one thing but you cannot beat real use information.
I searched the threads & saw that you initially found them quite stiff. Is that still your opinion or have you found your ideal setting now?
Also, which model Forester do you have - SF5 or SG5? )The Tein website states different rear spring rates depending on model so it will help me calculate the effect of my XT if I know which version of the Teins you are running).
Many thanks,
Ian
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

·
No more Foz !
03 Impreza Sti
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi Ian..
Nice info - still v.pricey though - especially when you add fitting...if you're into that sort of money much better to go to Powerstations and get the Forester AST's fitted there under the group buy at the moment (about a grand) . I think Simon (Psi3) is supposed to be in there today getting them fitted to his FSti.

Have you made a decision yet on what to go for ?
Pete

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
That's a good point about the ASTs - do you have any information on the spec., especially the spring rates? (I checked the AST website and it does not list Forester).

Wow - I just checked the Scoobynet group buy on the ASTs - the £1k price includes vat - fitting & the 4 wheel alignment!!!

Shame I can't afford it at the moment - :(

Perhaps Simon will post a rundown here?

Cheers,

Ian :drive:

·
Registered
46 Posts
BTW I can vouch for jdmpartstx. The two gents who run it are local. The JICs are either on their way over from Japan via boat/container OR are being shown there as a pre-order item. You would have to drop them a line to find out.

·
No more Foz !
03 Impreza Sti
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I thought I saw on GTrydaz that one of them was damaged ? I'll see if I can find the post..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts