Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5i CVT
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have issues with 2014 Premium's radio reception. I got one of those dime-a-dozen 16" whip antennas to replace OEM to boost the signal. However I do not notice any difference in reception. I certainly don't know if the new antenna is any good so I run a few tests:

I found a couple radio stations that have 'static' and listened to the broadcast with OEM, replacement 16" antenna and no antenna. Each time I changed antenna I turned off/on HU to make sure that antenna diversity would pick the best one (as I understand there's another antenna in the rear glass.

What I found was that I heard no difference with antenna installed (OEM or 16") or removed. Which leads me to believe that whip antenna is just for decoration or functions no better than one in glass.

EDIT: considering that 16" did not make any difference perhaps there's a third possibility that whip antenna hookup is faulty

·
Registered
2010 2.5X Limited 4-speed Auto
1,979 Posts
EDIT: considering that 16" did not make any difference perhaps there's a third possibility that whip antenna hookup is faulty
This is certainly a possibility, but the 16" whip would not make much difference in any case. The actual antenna element in the OEM antenna is helically wound, not a straight piece of wire. The effective length is closer to 36"

FWIW, outside urban areas FM reception can be problematic, especially if the lay of the land is rolling hills or worse. FM reception borders on line-of-sight or ground wave propagation, thus limiting range considerably in less than flat land.

Just another reason I abandoned AM/FM years ago and went to satellite radio.

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5i CVT
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is certainly a possibility, but the 16" whip would not make much difference in any case. The actual antenna element in the OEM antenna is helically wound, not a straight piece of wire. The effective length is closer to 36"

FWIW, outside urban areas FM reception can be problematic, especially if the lay of the land is rolling hills or worse. FM reception borders on line-of-sight or ground wave propagation, thus limiting range considerably in less than flat land.

Just another reason I abandoned AM/FM years ago and went to satellite radio.
I get better reception in other cars so it's certainly possible to have a good signal where I'm at.

Anyway, what's telling is that with antenna installed or removed reception was the same which means that radio was using in-glass antenna over the helix antenna too.

·
Registered
2010 2.5X Limited 4-speed Auto
1,979 Posts
I get better reception in other cars so it's certainly possible to have a good signal where I'm at.

Anyway, what's telling is that with antenna installed or removed reception was the same which means that radio was using in-glass antenna over the helix antenna too.
Have you actually confirmed an in-glass antenna? The SH series doesn't have one, at least mine doesn't. I do agree there is a possibility of the antenna not being actually connected ... loose connection in the harness somewhere.

Bummer that you are having the problem.

·
On Island Time
2014 Forester 2.5i Prem. 6MT
550 Posts
The antenna nub was forgotten at my PDI (was still under the rear floor). Putting it on made a dramatic improvement in radio reception. I'd say something else is amiss.

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5i CVT
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have you actually confirmed an in-glass antenna? The SH series doesn't have one, at least mine doesn't. I do agree there is a possibility of the antenna not being actually connected ... loose connection in the harness somewhere.

Bummer that you are having the problem.
Reception issue has been discussed in this forum so I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one with this problem.

From what I read HU will display "antenna not connected" so I don't think it's just not connected. I had such good reception on other channels that it did not occur to me to look for in-glass antenna :icon_biggrin:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts