Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

HD diy roof rack and rails

12K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Jdm_Fish_wagon 
#1 ·
Hey, first time posting. Though id share my heavy duty diy roof set up. All in all the supplies cost around $200 cnd. So relatively in expensive. Can do i how to guide with tips on the rail delete and everything if there is interest ?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice job from what the picture shows! How's it attached to the crossbars?

Probably blows my Yakima out of the water, at about half the cost. Wish I had the tools and know-how to fab up something more custom. Overall I'm happy with the Yakima, but wish it was a bit wider and longer - but not as wide as the Megawarrior, and not as long as the Loadwarrior+extension :p

#4 ·
First things you are gonna need
Welder
Drill(s) (drill press/mag press will make things easier)
Cut off saw
Grinder
And assorted small tools (hammers pry bars etc)

First things first find some scrap lumber and make a frame of what you want your rack to look like. Place on car to get a feel for size length etc. I went with 42" wide by 6' if done again id probably do similar.

Once youve decided on supplies its off to your local metal shop. Do NOT buy your steel from homedepot or some place like that. Prices are way to high for weldable steel. I picked up approx 80ft of 16 ga 1" square tubing. 12.5ft of 2.5" thin flat bar. And a 8x4ft sheet of flattened expanded metal 9ga. ( expanded metal is wayyyy to heavy but ill get into that)

Now if you dont have them already i highly recommend right angle clamps to hold your bars together while you tack them in place. Also keep checking square cuz your tacks will constantly try to pull your bars to ones side or the other. My measurment for box height is 7" so my verticle posts are all 5". I made my bottom square first added cross rails.. Welded in tie downs (u bolts) and then did all my verticle supports. Fully weld all seams as you go.

Be careful with your cut off saw make sure you have a stand to keep your metal flat. Or your cuts wont be 90°.

If you chose to do slanted front for your box pre determine the angle you want. I determined the angle from lowest points in my windshield by using a straight piece of steel and measuring down to the roof of the car. High-school trig will come in handy here so remember soa-cah-toa. My base angle was 40 and top 50. Tip: cut the 40° angle first and have your verticle posts already welded in. Then put top rail on and draw you 50 angle. Measuring will probably screw you up. Either your sloped bars will be too short or your top rail will be off. Also i recommend cutting the 50 with an angle grinder.

Cut your tops and weld it all together. Now clean up the exterior welds. (If your sloppy like me) and paint that bad sally. Remember to use a durable paint. Or itll just rust your car roof to pieces. If you can handle the look use something really hard that wont flake.* (Bed liner or por-15 on expanded metal works nice and makes it less sharp.)

Get a piece of lexan for the wind screen and your good to go . Self tap that in and order plastic end caps for your tubing. Box is done.

Good right ?? Hooray?

No. If built to the specs i made mine itll destroy your plastic roof rails. Weighs wayy to much. (Remember how i said 9ga expanded metal was heavy. )

Anyway now you need to do the stock rail delete or if you already dont have them you* have to pull the plastic molding out. (100% reuse stock plastic molding if you have it. So be careful)

First pull out your headliner. Which should be relatively easy. Next unbolt your stock rail and remove them from car. Follow this by getting some thin flat bar and mark each of your holes. (Do a good job with this/take time)* Drill your holes out generously. I used a 1/2inch bit. Mostly because i screwed the pooch on making my marks accurate. Get carriage bolts and washers that cover your* drill holes and go through the roof. Get some strong right angle brackets and weld them onto your flat bar wherever you want your cross bars. ( i bolted these on because i painted my flat bar first.) .
Next step is to lay some weather stripping in the channel of the roof. Paint your flat bar and let it dry.
When its dry make sure everything lines up and bolt it on.
IMPORTANT TIP fill your bolt holes with a butt ton of silicon* so that all the seals are water tight. I didnt and it was a massive pain in the ***.

Do your seams with silicon and fill the front and back. Let it set up and then test it for leaks . If its good. Measure the height you want your cross bars to sit in your right angle brackets draw lines and zip them flush with a grinder. Drill holes and mount your rails. Next mount your roof rack to the rails and your all done. Congrats.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.