Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1999 forester
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drive a 1999 Forester. In the past week the hazard lights blink even when the ignition is not on. I learned the remote lock/unlock trick when I got a new battery some time ago. Although my current battery is several years old, it has not gone dead. My husband tested the battery and he said it looked fine. I am concerned that I will get a dead battery if the hazard lights come on and stay on all day while I'm at work. Does anyone know what to do about this? I would be most grateful for any input. Many thanks

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,878 Posts
Try the disconnect of the battery again, inspect the battery cables for corrosion and check the ground wire where it attaches to the car. You might even want to loosen it and re-tighten it to establish a better ground.

With the key on in the ignition, bleed out any reserve power, pump the brakes, turn on the lights, radio etc. Then maybe wait about half an hour.
When you reconnect it the light will flash again, and instead of using your remote, there is a recessed button on the drivers side just below the fuse/coin pocket, with a pencil or other object press it. That is another way to reset the system. I hope all you are going to find is that it was a bad ground. This happened occasionally on my 99 as well and all I found it took was to clean the ground on the car, that fixed it for me.

Keep us posted.

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,878 Posts
I'm a little confused with what you mean by "they come on"...
Are they coming on all by themselves? Has the switch been hit to turn them on?

forgive me for my confusion...
On my old 99 when the battery was reconnected the ECU had to be reset otherwise it would barely rev. The hazard lights and instruments flash very lightly, not as bright as the regular hazards. I've never experienced it with my 08, so it must reset itself when the battery is reconnected or part of the Can-Bus set-up.

·
Registered
1999 forester
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm a little confused with what you mean by "they come on"...
Are they coming on all by themselves? Has the switch been hit to turn them on?

forgive me for my confusion...
yes they do come on all by themselves, when I get in the car before I even put the key in the ignition I can hear a faint "tick-tick-tick." When I get out of the car I can see the hazard light flashing off and on. I generally don't see this in the daytime, but if it's dark I can see the flashing. I have a recommendation below that I'm going to try. I'll let y'all know how that works.

·
Registered
1999 forester
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Try the disconnect of the battery again, inspect the battery cables for corrosion and check the ground wire where it attaches to the car. You might even want to loosen it and re-tighten it to establish a better ground.

With the key on in the ignition, bleed out any reserve power, pump the brakes, turn on the lights, radio etc. Then maybe wait about half an hour.
When you reconnect it the light will flash again, and instead of using your remote, there is a recessed button on the drivers side just below the fuse/coin pocket, with a pencil or other object press it. That is another way to reset the system. I hope all you are going to find is that it was a bad ground. This happened occasionally on my 99 as well and all I found it took was to clean the ground on the car, that fixed it for me.

Keep us posted.
Thanks I'll try this and will post the results.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts