Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently noticed that the clear plastic headlight lenses on my 04 FXT have what looks like fogged spots or an uneven haze on them. I regularly take it through the brushless car wash, and I heard that the cleaning solutions are so aggressive that they can etch plastic and even glass if they aren't mixed correctly.

Has anyone else notice this fogging?

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,456 Posts
Mine are getting like that too. UV damage maybe? :(

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The exterior face of the plastic lens seems etched, not discolored, so I don't think it is UV damage. Also, it is not uniformly distributed. It looks like blotches of dullness on the plastic, along the edges as well as over the middle. At first it looked like it was just road salt stains, but it won't wash off.

When the weather warms up, I'll try cleaning and polishing it with Zaino and see what happens.

·
Premium Member
2017 Forester XT touring CVT
981 Posts
Mine are like that also. I use Meguiars PlastX clear plastic polish & cleaner. Let me tell you, I was concerned that the haze on my headlights was permanent until I used this product. I would suggest picking up a bottle and giving it a try. I bought mine at advance auto for around $5 I believe and it was money well spent.

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT
274 Posts
Meguiars is the best. I started a thread about this a little while back and finally picked up some Meguiars after everyone reccommended it. It works exceptionally well on cloudiness and clears up lenses quickly. You may have to do it a couple times to remove deep scrathes though.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks! I didn't know Meguiar had such a product. It looks like just what I need. I had planed to use the Novus #1 and 2 scratch remover and polish if Zaino didn't take care of it. The wet sanding approach in SenorSubie's Scoobymods link is a little too complicated in light of alternatives like Meguiar's and Novus.

·
Registered
2006 2500X
113 Posts
My thanks about the Mcquiar for now I will start looking around for it. Little tips that that are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2005 FXT PP 4EAT
2,772 Posts
Retserof said:
The wet sanding approach in SenorSubie's Scoobymods link is a little too complicated in light of alternatives like Meguiar's and Novus.
It really depends on the severity.
If the damage is deep enough, you may have no choice but to sand, wet sand and polish.
I experienced this problem in my Saturn, but not yet in the FXT.
For the Saturn, I used an acrylic polish kit that I have for my aquarium and it worked great.
My FXT has the Subaru (AU) headlight protector on it, which I'm hoping will delay any damage.
It's already collected some scratches, but the headlight is still pristine.

·
Registered
2018 2.5i Manual
1,274 Posts
I am sure that all you have is a mild wax build up from the car wash. My brushless car wash does the same thing. It was so bad last year that I took it to the stealer to have them replaced since I was sure that it was inside the cover.

I tried getting it off with window cleaner and I think I used simple green as well. No dice. Then I used my standard meguires wax that I use on the rest of the car and they were instantly transformed like to new again. Whatever attracts to the glass is instantly removed.

Now I just wax the headlights with the car and they look new...

·
Registered
2005 FXT PP 4EAT
2,772 Posts
MountainBiker said:
Yeah, wax is a polish too you know.
Actually they are 2 different things.
Wax just leaves a layer of shiny residue (wax).
Polish sands down the surface until it is shiny smooth on it's own.

Look around your local aquarium supply shops for an acrylic aquarium polish.
The Meguire's product works ok too, but for severe hazing I'd go with the acrylic polish.
Then use the Meguire's as a PM product.

·
Registered
2008 FSXT
219 Posts
Boca_Yid said:
Actually they are 2 different things.
Wax just leaves a layer of shiny residue (wax).
Polish sands down the surface until it is shiny smooth on it's own.

Look around your local aquarium supply shops for an acrylic aquarium polish.
The Meguire's product works ok too, but for severe hazing I'd go with the acrylic polish.
Then use the Meguire's as a PM product.
is it possible i can use the acrylic polish then put some rock blocker on? will the rock blocker help reduce the haze building up on my headlight lenses? i was like :censored: what happened? by the way its an 06 FXT and it's only the 6 month of owning it

·
06 X Auto
2006 Auto Auto
976 Posts
I have the 3M version of the Rock Blocker stuff. I put it on a few weeks after buying my 06 and there is no haze on it and it never sees a garage. It's also 6 months old.

I've used Semichrome polish to remove haze off lights. Works well.

·
Registered
2008 FSXT
219 Posts
i don't know how/where i got 'em and my FXT is always garaged. i will buy that polish/haze remover then probably buy that 3m rockblocker stuff

·
Premium Member
2012 camry se 6AT
2,809 Posts
FWIW, I checked ALL DATA and many manufacturers are pretty much stating something down this line. This was taken from Nissan Service Tip in regards to hazing inside the headlamp.

All current headlamp assemblies are vented to the atmosphere (not sealed).
^This is necessary to allow for expansion and contraction of air from temperature "variations" (warmer or colder).

Moisture in the air sometimes "travels" into the headlamp assembly.
^As the temperature inside the headlamp cools, this moisture may condense.
^This condensation usually collects on the front lens and appears as a cloudy lens.

This "normal" amount of moisture will not puddle or collect and drip down the lens.

When the headlights are turned ON:
^This vapor may appear as fogging or cloudiness.
^The fogging/cloudiness should disappear in less than 1 minute.

If the moisture trickles, drips, or pools, it is not considered normal and the headlamp assembly probably has a water leak path.
Nothing official from Subaru (yet) but the problem has been reported by many.

If the haze or cloudiness is on the outside of the lens, 3M Plastic Polish(part #39010) is recommended for cleaning and polishing.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002U268M/103-3297816-2756617?v=glance&n=15684181

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT
1,362 Posts
How about Flitz, I keep seeing their commercials on TV but I don't know if this stuff works?

·
Premium Member
2016 2.5i Premium CVT
909 Posts
For a quick, econo fix, I've used toothpaste on a damp cloth. It took a couple of treatments, but it did remove much of the haze. Remember to give it a final cleanup with just a clean damp cloth.

Remember, toothpaste is a mild abrasive.

P.S. And your Subie will be minty, too!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts