Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2004 forester 2.5XT
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any experience with running a Hayward & Scott exhaust. I was going to go the STI backbox route, but as i have a tow bar the one I have 2002 model goes nowhere near fitting. Even with the extra long hangers is smashes against the tow bar, i need to cut and move the hangers a good 40mm. While attempting to make it fit i found out the baffles in the center section are loose and rattle. Also the flanges are rusted to paper thin and the original system barely seals and the rear hanger has rusted off the back box :crying:

So rather than hack the system around i am looking for a new system. Sometime down the road ill be going 3 inch catted down pipe and VF39, so i was thinking 2.5 cat back from Hayward & Scott

The car is my daily driver, i take my daughter to nursery in it every day so i dont want anything over the top. That being said when i am out for a drive i would like a little bit of engine noise. I have the snorkus removed so get all the turbo spool and wastegate noise.

I dont live in the UK so dropping down to see them isnt a option. I have searched around online and found some good review and some not so positive. Any input would be greatly received!

Car is a 2005 2.5XT

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT Manual
30 Posts
Let me know if you get this setup. I've been eyeing it for quite a while. The videos I've found make it seem like its got a good amount of noise without being obnoxious, but its mostly old camera video so audio isn't fantastic

·
Registered
2004 forester 2.5XT
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Let me know if you get this setup. I've been eyeing it for quite a while. The videos I've found make it seem like its got a good amount of noise without being obnoxious, but its mostly old camera video so audio isn't fantastic

I bit the bullet and ordered one. Arrives next week. Ill update this thread once it arrives :)

·
Registered
2004 forester 2.5XT
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Exhaust has finally arrived and its fitted. Had some major issues with UPS and H&S were very good at helping to resolve that.

Starting with the fit and finish. I was a little disappointed to be honest. Welds are functional not that pretty, especially if you have been looking at Grimmspeeds stuff. For me the hangers are a little thin. I can spin the kartboy hangers i have around them with ease they could be thicker IMHO. This means it moves along the hangers and is not as secure as id like. Flanges on the exhaust are thick :) no issues there. much better than the OEM and STI box i had. I had issues using a OEM muffler gasket, lucky H&S send one with the system. Its heaver that the old system i am sure. I need to buy shorter hangers as it hangs too low, was going STI muffler so only had long ones, so I am not 100% happy with how it sits. I like the way the tail pipe sit flush against the bumper now. It does look odd this massive tail pipe from the box when you have it off the car.

Now the sound. Its loud. When i first fired it up my first thought was "****, this is meant to be the standard sound but still giving a little bit of the burble we all love" If you drive it at part throttle under 2.5k its okay, you can tell for sure its not stock. I swear on idle its louder. When you get into it it sounds awesome. It will pop and bang on the over run if you are really on it, no mapping work here. I have no idea how loud it is from outside the car. I am guessing pretty. I might get a mate to drive it so i can asses.

On H&S website they say it gives an extra 18bhp. I can report i feel no difference. I just had the clutch swapped so the car feels good. Coupled with the extra noise it feels quicker but probably isnt.

I have a 4 hour drive on Monday so will report whether my ears have bled out.

Attachments

·
Registered
2005 FXT
174 Posts
Those are some nasty welds and not in a good way. How does it look mounted?

Don’t forget to reset the ECM, if not done already.

·
Registered
2004 forester 2.5XT
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Those are some nasty welds and not in a good way. How does it look mounted?

Don’t forget to reset the ECM, if not done already.
At the moment it site way too low as its on extra long hangers. This is because i have a tow hitch and was concerned there wouldn't be enough clearance, i did speak to H&S and they offered to bend the mounting arms, im glad we didnt now. Ill order up some standard sized ones and ill report back.

Yeah, i was really disappointed with the welds. However as long as it doesn't leak and lasts the next 5 years it will be good enough.

I haven't reset the ECU. Ill try that and see if it makes any difference.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts