Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Impreza WRX 5 speed manual
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally had time to try and hunt down the leak that was letting water into the spare tire compartment of my 1998 Forester. I removed everything until I was down to the bare metal. Of course, it was bone dry :shrug: I then noticed two metal covers. Upon removing the covers, I found what can only be the fuel pump and... something else with a hose going to it. Does anyone know what the layout is for the fuel pump? Since the car is nearing 13 years old (purchased October '97) should I replace the fuel pump while it's accessible?

LIP89

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
39,857 Posts
IMO, unless you're having problems, no need to change the fuel pump. Have you changed the fuel filter? I believe yours will be in the engine compartment. :wink:

Your fuel pump should be the same as my '03 X & '07 FSXT. Of couse the fittings will be a bit different. Take a look at my post here & here. :smile:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just out of curiosity, what are the symptoms of a dying fuel pump? I replaced the fuel filter within the last year.

LIP89

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. I'm just not sure if I should replace it while I have the back of the car apart or not.

LIP89

·
Administrator
39,857 Posts
It's not that hard to get to... kinda of a PIA to pull out of the tank & just as much hassle putting it back in! :icon_eek: What's that saying... "If It Ain't Broke, Don't Fix It!" :wink:

Bobby...

·
Administrator
39,857 Posts
If you still decide to change the fuel pump, I still have the one I pulled off my '07 at 24K miles when I upgraded to a Walbro fuel pump. You can have it for $25 shipped. Shoot me a PM if you're interested. :wink:

Bobby...

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the offer. What's the compatibility between the '98 and the '07? After reading your "Symptoms of a Bad Fuel Pump" page, I might just leave it alone. The car doesn't stall or overheat, so it must still be working fairly well anyway. Besides, I just discovered that the beam behind my rear bumper is nothing but rust, so that needs my attention soon.

·
Administrator
39,857 Posts
As to compatibility, a quick google search gives mixed results? :confused: It says '98-'05, but I have an '03 fuel pump (sold) & the '07 fuel pump in hand. They're outwardly identical. :icon_eek:

Since you're going to address the rust, I guess we won't have to worry about the fuel pump. :wink:

Bobby...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts