Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 290 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Premium Manual
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son and his wife really like my Forester and are seriously considering a 2014 NA model. But I know them and they just won't remeber to check the oil regularly and won't add oil when necessary. So if they have an oil consumption prolblem like my 2011 has then their engine will eventually become oil starved and will seize.

I know that most 2011s don't have the issue. But some do and those unlucky onwers are screwed - Subaru will not help.

Does anyone know if the consumption issue been fixed on 2014s? I've heard some say that it was just a 2011 issue. I'm advising my son to stay away from the Forester, but if the issue is fixed then that changes everything.

Thanks

·
Registered
2012 Forester X 5 MT
881 Posts
To the best of my knowledge, the oil problem was rare in the '11s and was fixed by the '12 model year. Some folks may vigorously disagree with this.

I think the '14s have a low-oil-level light on the dash now.

Most Foresters seem to consume/evaporate around 1 qt. per 5K mile (plus or minus). So, a low-oil light is a good idea if the OCI is 7.5K and consumption is a bit on the high side.

·
Registered
2013 WRX Base 5-speed
827 Posts
My son and his wife really like my Forester and are seriously considering a 2014 NA model. But I know them and they just won't remeber to check the oil regularly and won't add oil when necessary. So if they have an oil consumption prolblem like my 2011 has then their engine will eventually become oil starved and will seize.

I know that most 2011s don't have the issue. But some do and those unlucky onwers are screwed - Subaru will not help.

Does anyone know if the consumption issue been fixed on 2014s? I've heard some say that it was just a 2011 issue. I'm advising my son to stay away from the Forester, but if the issue is fixed then that changes everything.

Thanks
It seems to be hit or miss on the '11-'13 models. I'm willing to bet more then likely human error on some cases. My 2012 consumes around 1qt per 5000 miles. It now has about 40,000 miles on it and my current oil change is consuming a little less at this point. closer to 1qt per 6,000 miles.

·
Registered
2014 Forester CVT
8 Posts
To the best of my knowledge, the oil problem was rare in the '11s and was fixed by the '12 model year. Some folks may vigorously disagree with this.

I think the '14s have a low-oil-level light on the dash now.

Most Foresters seem to consume/evaporate around 1 qt. per 5K mile (plus or minus). So, a low-oil light is a good idea if the OCI is 7.5K and consumption is a bit on the high side.
you nailed it man... my 2014 forester ate 0.9 qt for almost 5k miles... i wasnt expecting it, but the oil level light on the dash came on and saved me... :)
so yeah now im checking it every other time a gas it up!

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring Lineartronic CVT Si Drive
59 Posts

Thanks
From what I heard from my dealer, who is also a Subaru enthusiast, the problem with the rings was fixed on the 2014 models around Q3 of 2013.

:Banane35:

·
Registered
2014 Forester CVT
8 Posts
From what I heard from my dealer, who is also a Subaru enthusiast, the problem with the rings was fixed on the 2014 models around Q3 of 2013.

:Banane35:
Well if the problem with the rings was fixed, then there is something else wrong, or I got a lemon! :) But trust me I had to add almost 1qt when the dash light came on, and I only had 4900 miles since last oil change!

·
Registered
2014 Forester CVT
47 Posts
I have almost 2000 miles on my new limited in about a month. I have checked the oil three times, it has not dropped at all on the dip stick. I did drive it hard during brake in to seat the rings.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,024 Posts
But trust me I had to add almost 1qt when the dash light came on, and I only had 49000 miles since last oil change!
1 quart every 49,000 miles is pretty good :icon_cool:

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.0XT Auto
105 Posts
I have almost 2000 miles on my new limited in about a month. I have checked the oil three times, it has not dropped at all on the dip stick. I did drive it hard during brake in to seat the rings.
What do you define as hard? Did you break 4k RPM? did you just follow the owners manual break in? What did you do differently?

I'm just curious considering I'll be breaking mine in soon, and I'd like the best results leading to less oil consumption and to seat the rings properly :Banane29:

·
Forester of the Year 2014
SJ XT Premium CVT
2,820 Posts
Just did my the first oil and filter change this past weekend. 2760 miles on the odo. I followed break in procedures per the manual. There was no sign of lost oil.

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.0XT CVT
181 Posts
What do you define as hard? Did you break 4k RPM? did you just follow the owners manual break in? What did you do differently?

I'm just curious considering I'll be breaking mine in soon, and I'd like the best results leading to less oil consumption and to seat the rings properly :Banane29:
I did moderate break-in, as in sometimes on highway would use paddles shifters and go to 5500rpm for a minute...no cruise either 1st 1K , cannot see any oil loss so far.

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.0XT CVT
181 Posts
Subaru Drive : Insider - Three Facts About Engine Oil

Engines consume oil, whether that's considered to be a "problem" or not - it's a fact of life. Longer oil change intervals require checking the level in between oil changes and, if needed, topping off.

I am checking oil regularly with THIS Subaru, seeing all I read about it on here.
Funny my VW Jetta oil changes are scheduled for 10K miles ! and is all I did for 80K miles before trading in, no real oil loss either

·
Premium Member
2014 Forester 2.5i Prem CVT
202 Posts
My 14(built Q3 2013) has had zero measurable oil consumption after 4000 miles with the initial factory oil. I just did a change and will see if anything changes.

I am sure that we see many more posts when people have problems than when they don't. So I am not sure what percentage of the engines actually have this problem and even if they 'fix' it there will be some delay due to all the cars out there.

·
Registered
2015 SR5 Tacoma 6MT
21 Posts
Alright, so I'm thinking of a Forester with the 2.5i or XT. I know one of the technicians at a Subaru dealership and here is what he had to say when I asked him about 2.5 vs 2.0 turbo and CVT vs 6MT. He's a VERY good technician.

There have not been any problems with the 2.0 Turbo motor in the XT.

They have replaced a number of CVT transmissions under warranty-didn't mention what year or model vehicle and I didn't ask.

The oil consumption problem only seems to plauge the 2.5i with 6MT as the XT does not have this issue and they haven't had any complaints about consumption for the 2.5i with CVT. He told me that Subaru thinks it's the rings so they have been tearing down the motors and replacing the rings, none of the engines he's replaced the rings on have come back with oil consumption issues....Sooo it seems to be a ring problem.

How are these motors supposed to be broken in? Should they be driven in a normal manner and not babied until X amount of miles??

·
Registered
2011 2.5x Limited
497 Posts
Alright, so I'm thinking of a Forester with the 2.5i or XT. I know one of the technicians at a Subaru dealership and here is what he had to say when I asked him about 2.5 vs 2.0 turbo and CVT vs 6MT.

There have not been any problem with the 2.0 Turbo motor in the XT.
They have replaced a number of CVT transmissions under warranty-didn't mention what year or model vehicle and I didn't ask.
2014 is the first model year for the Forester with the CVT.

·
Registered
2011 2.5x Limited
497 Posts
Alright, so I'm thinking of a Forester with the 2.5i or XT. I know one of the technicians at a Subaru dealership and here is what he had to say when I asked him about 2.5 vs 2.0 turbo and CVT vs 6MT. He's a VERY good technician.

There have not been any problems with the 2.0 Turbo motor in the XT.

The oil consumption problem only seems to plauge the 2.5i with 6MT
It's not limited to just the 6MT; it started with the 2.5 in the 2011 model year. Owners of both manual & auto trannys have reported it on the forums. My Limited uses about 3 qts between changes (7,500 miles).

·
Registered
2015 SR5 Tacoma 6MT
21 Posts
It's not limited to just the 6MT; it started with the 2.5 in the 2011 model year. Owners of both manual & auto trannys have reported it on the forums. My Limited uses about 3 qts between changes (7,500 miles).
So this is normal?

How are these engines meant to be broken in?

1 - 20 of 290 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.