Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester LTD
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to tint my windows today but the store has no pattern for the sunroof in their computer. Has anyone tinted the sunroof?

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,008 Posts
I did mine too. I went with 20% on it and it makes a HUGE difference. If I lived futher south I would ahve gone 5%. With 20% I can still see starts at night no problem, but I don't need to close the shade even with the summer sun at hight noon.

·
Registered
2014 2.0XT CVT
3,069 Posts
I did mine but can't remember now what % I did. I've actually never been to a tint shop that used patterns, all mine have always been done by hand and it always comes out really nice. I'd be a little weary if they said they don't know how to tint a window without a pattern

·
Registered
2008 2.5x ll beaner
632 Posts
I didn't do mine so I could see the sky at night if I was sleeping in it..I could open it but then mosquitos would get in, I could put a net up but then I could do a lot of things..no tint..everything else is tinted though..legal tint here..35% or something 25 maybe..I'm glad I did it, it makes a uge difference.

Good luck man!

·
The Sub kit guy
13,008 Posts
If you like to leave the shade open and see out, I HIGHLY reccommend tinting the moonroof. You can drive around on a sunny day with the shade open and not need sunglasses, but you can see the stars and moon at night just fine. It will also help protect your interior from fading and all that stuff.

·
2010 Forester XT 4EAT
1,123 Posts
The place I used to get my front windows done said they do not recommend tinting the roof since they can not warranty it. I decided not to get it done since I would usually not have the shade open anyway or the roof except in the evening.

·
Registered
2010 Forester
70 Posts
What's the difference between tinting and smoking? Is it a chemical vs film? Anyone have a pointer to a good doc describing the two?

·
The Sub kit guy
13,008 Posts
The place I used to get my front windows done said they do not recommend tinting the roof since they can not warranty it. I decided not to get it done since I would usually not have the shade open anyway or the roof except in the evening.
I wish tint shops would stop with the "tint makes moonroofs crack so we don't warranty them" BS. It all started from a poor vehicle design that led to cracking moonroofs and in an attempt to get out of fixing them the car company tried to blame the issue on window tint. It is nothing more than an urban legend and when researching the problem I could not find a single instance anywhere on the Net where a moonroof cracked due to tint.

My tint place tried to say the same thing when I first talked to them so I asked them to try to find a single instance of a moonroof cracking and after calling other shops and looking all over the Net they said they would tint my moonroof and give a full warranty.

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT Limited 4EAT
2,000 Posts
I did 5% mirror on mine. Used the dealer & cost $80.
I love it!

·
Registered
2007 2.5X L.L. BEAN
150 Posts
I did mine but can't remember now what % I did. I've actually never been to a tint shop that used patterns, all mine have always been done by hand and it always comes out really nice. I'd be a little weary if they said they don't know how to tint a window without a pattern
Yea I agree. The guy that did my 20% VLT tint all the way around except for the Sunroof, free handed everything and carried on indepth conversation with me at the same time haha, it turned out perfect. Didn't do the sunroof cuz I like to let all the light in when I feel like it. I'd be very scared of patterns IMO.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
40,836 Posts

·
The Sub kit guy
13,008 Posts
Get the moonroof tinted 5%. Any lighter & it'll still be too hot to have the shade open when the sun is over head! :icon_eek:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]
Mine is 20% and it is fine for me even in full sun. It never gets warm, but it does get a little too bright for the kids sometimes. I'd say if you have kids or live in a sunny region, 5% is ideal. If you live in Northern State or Canada, 20% is a good choice.

My mother inlaw was over on Sunday with her 03 XS and I noticed her shade was closed. I asked her why and she said it was way to bright to keep it open. Next time the inlaws are over for the weekend I'm going to have their moonroof tinted 5%.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts