Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Forester L
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of two-toning my 99 L. Currently it is black with the dark grey textured bumpers. I hate textured black moldings on vehicles and would like to give the Forester some contrast. I know I will need to add some flex additive to the paint and probably a bonding agent to get the paint to stick to it well. Has anyone on here painted the textured side moldings and bumpers before? Any pictures?

·
Registered
02 Forester L (sold) Manual
1,220 Posts
The 'S' models have painted cladding and bumpers which are the exact same parts, so it is possible. However, any blemishes currently in the parts will remain there, as you can't reliably fix such things in textured parts.

If you've ever silicone'd your trim pieces, painting them won't be fun.

I don't like to sway the ambitious DIYer, but this job is probably best left to professionals for it to look good. And that, of course, won't be cheap.

·
Registered
2010 forester
5 Posts
as a body man and painter for 30 years i would say dont try it. textured parts for the most part come as replacement parts the correct color. i had to paint a lower air deflector for a s-10 that couldnt be ordered the correct color. could not get the paint to stay on. plus when you try to scuff or sand textured parts the scratches want to swell up after painting. the only good way is to spray on a good adhesion promoter prior to painting. good luck.
"dw"

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester 4EAT
5,462 Posts
Spray on bedliner will stick to anything if prepped properly, and comes in lots of colors now. You will not get rid of the texture, but you can have color.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts