Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
02 Foz 4eat
5,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am driving the '02 Forester S Premium with leather. It is TAN. I don't like tan interiors. I want to swap to a black interior. I need to replace EVERYTHING.

Has anyone done it before?

How hard is it to do?

What should I do when I have everything out?

Anyone want to help or swap their grey/black interior for tan/brown?

·
Registered
none none
9,011 Posts
Its not terrible actually. I think the worst part is making sure you don't break or lose any plastic clips for the interior panels.

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,100 Posts
I almost completely stripped the interior of an 01 S. It wasn't too bad, and we labeled every part when it was removed. The moon roof drain tube somehow got a hole in it and leaked a ton of water into the car, so we replaced a ton of parts and had to replace the drain tube.

We removed the seats, then console and carpet, and worked our way up. All the trim pieces have to come off before you can remove the headliner.

If your going to do a full swap, it is a good time to run stereo wires, and I'd foam fill EVERY little opening you can find that isn't a necessary drain hole. You'll get major noise reductions and eliminate a lot of creaks. It is tedious work, but it makes a huge difference.

·
Registered
02 Foz 4eat
5,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maybe I'll do a dash swap at the same time to a WRX or STi dash.

And lots of sound proofing, although the SF seems quite a bit quieter than my SG, then again, the SG was a lot louder and a lot stiffer with bracing, bushings, etc. No way to do a battery relocation, and not much else other than stereo stuff to install while the carpeting is out.

Think I'll start looking for a dash "explosion" to see how hard a swap to a GD dash will be and how to get the SF out. That seems like the biggest project.

·
Registered
02 Foz 4eat
5,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I pm'd Angry Toaster a couple of weeks back to ask about the dash swap, but haven't had a response. Guess I'll be flying blind for that portion of it.

The rest doesn't seem that "hard", just tedious.

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,100 Posts
We thought about removing the dash to sound deaden the firewall but it was a ton of work so we skipped it. I have a few friends with swapped GCs, and they all said the GD dashes required fabricating new mounting points. The 98+ Impreza has the same dash as the SF, so I'm sure the same would be true for you when trying to swap the dash.

Don't you have the brown top dash? You will need to swap that for a black one anyway right?

·
Registered
none none
9,011 Posts
I pm'd Angry Toaster a couple of weeks back to ask about the dash swap, but haven't had a response. Guess I'll be flying blind for that portion of it.

The rest doesn't seem that "hard", just tedious.
It requires all custom fabbed mounting. Not even close to a straight swap. I asked him about it a while back.

·
Registered
2002 S
2,702 Posts
The dash swap also requires cuttin extra holes for the HVAC through the firewall and would basically require you to do a reverse merge of the under dash harness to get all of the GD stuff functioning properly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts