Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2001 FORESTER
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm purchasing an 01 Forester L. The car is beautiful in every way perfect paint perfect interior runs well, cold A/C NOW here is the down side it seems a previous owner put 1 disc brake on the left rear and left the right rear as a drum. Being new to subies I was wondering how big a problem this is and if I should opt to add another disc or go back to the original drums. Thanks in advance.:banana:

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
Is there anything else done strangely on it? That would really make me question the previous owner. I'm guessing they had a bad wheel bearing on that side and got a rear knuckle from a disc equipped model.

I wouldn't keep it how it is, either swap to full disc or back to drums. Discs and drums behave very differently, although there isn't much of a difference in overall performance.

·
Registered
2001 FORESTER
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks

Thanks monkey. It looks like they cut the parking brake wire when the installed the disc. Nothing else looks out of order. other than the front left shaft appears to be throwing a lot of grease by the wheel but I cant see any tear in the boot?

·
Registered
2005 Impreza RS Wagon Auto
3,658 Posts
Thanks real lyte how much work and parts envolved with converting back to drum.
If you have any mech skills at all it shouldn't be that hard.

Thanks monkey. It looks like they cut the parking brake wire when the installed the disc. Nothing else looks out of order. other than the front left shaft appears to be throwing a lot of grease by the wheel but I cant see any tear in the boot?
You should still have an ebrake on that side btw.

The boot can hide tears very well, sometimes it escapes at the clamps, for best results replace with oem/oem rebuilt axles only.

But I would have to agree with monkey, that kind of odd setup might indicate other issues with the car...

·
Registered
2002 Forester
428 Posts
Disk is a marked improvement. Also, disable the ABS because it will get you into an accident if you don't, and I'm not kidding about that at all. The old ABS system is terrible.

Rear drum = rear biased braking force
Rear disk = front biased braking force

Rear drum = slightly lock happy rear end
Rear disk = a little better brake modulation and linearity

Upgrades for the Forester
Rear disk conversion
*Jump from Impreza sized rear rotors to larger Outback rear rotors (dubbed "H6 Upgrade")
*Jump from Impreza sized front rotors to larger WRX front rotors

*requires the WRX front brackets and Outback rear brackets to move the caliper out farther to fit the larger diameter rotor. The "H6 Upgrade" kit comes with both the bracket and rotor parts. The WRX front has to be purchased separately.

This setup makes for a very slightly front biased setup but largely neutral. You can stay with the smaller Impreza front rotor size and move it slightly rear biased.

A note on the ABS system:
The older ABS system takes all 4 tires as one input. This means the one tire that slips tells the ABS system that all tires have this level of grip. You hit a patch of loose gravel, ice, or a bump that pops one tire off the ground you lose 80% to 95% braking force for the whole car no matter how much grip you have with the rest of the tires. With the lock happy rear drums, this ends up making the car very sensitive to road grip irregularities. Rear drums are a little more stable, but the ABS system sucks period. I've been in the ditch three times not on purpose, one was from a deer and two were from the old type ABS system, once the second day I owned the car.

To disable the ABS system, simply pull the ABS solenoid fuse from the fuse box to the left and down from the steering wheel behind the pull out storage container.

·
Registered
2001 FORESTER
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Brakes

Thanks B Road Runner, I'm not a mech so I will have to get this done somewhere. Any suggestions on how to find some one who knows what there doing on these subie's. Theres a dealership in town but $99 an hr seems high.

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,064 Posts
I believe these will fit, they are for sale on my local forum. You may need to sign up to see the for sale section. If you would like me to inquire about them send me a PM.
MNSubaru.com

I have parts for a full rear disc conversion for a drum brake subaru. I got it for my 97 OBS , but don't need it anymore.

Its pretty much everything you'll need except for the e-brake cables. Knuckles with e-brake setup, rotors, 1pot calipers, pads, and one complete axle stuck in one of the hubs.

You'll have to press out the long bolts from the knuckles. I will try and get some pictures.

$40 OBO

1 - 10 of 10 Posts