Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Forester
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We did this road at night around mountains and thru sandy, treacherous areas, rough pavement in places, gravel in others, sand, kiss-your-own-*** bends, inclines with bad traction. Sheer drops to one side and jagged cliffs to the other. No guard rails very frequently. Took nearly 4 hours to go 30+ miles with my wife and daughters biting their nuckles. Had to stick my face to the windshield to negotiate some of the turns! Luckily the weather was okay, just very windy. No rain.

This was before I had the Forester and we were on vacation in Maui. Couldn't find a hotel in Hana so headed back to Kihei at about 9pm.

And it was in a rental Camry! What a car!

The Forester would have been ideal.

Hope I'm not off-topic.

Just want to know if anybody had done it in a Forester and what was it like!

Rick

·
Registered
2007 Forester Sport XT 5MT
737 Posts
Yeah, rental van with some rain but daylight for sure. We had a great drive!
It really isn't that bad - you need to check out some South American or maybe other island countries that have similar 'habitat', but the roads are gravel and one lane with two way traffic. With buses.
Extra points for having the girls in the car. I had my sister, step-niece, and two nephews - while normally folks don't want to ride with me due to my enthusiasm - they at least trust me to pay attention! I was definately thinking about my Forester...

El Sid

·
Registered
2006 Legacy spec.B 5 MT
640 Posts
Did it with my family a few years back in a rental Daewoo. Its pretty fun no matter what you're in...

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
1,545 Posts
Also did it in 2000 on our Honeymoon. It took us all day as the Mrs wanted to stop at every point on the cassette tape........they gave us this as a tour guide on the road to Hanna. Came around the back in the dark and it was spooky at times! Started a 8am and back to the Hotel (Kapalua Bay Hotel) at midnight. Very cool trip though.

·
Registered
2007 Forester
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, rental van with some rain but daylight for sure. We had a great drive!
It really isn't that bad - you need to check out some South American or maybe other island countries that have similar 'habitat', but the roads are gravel and one lane with two way traffic. With buses.
Extra points for having the girls in the car. I had my sister, step-niece, and two nephews - while normally folks don't want to ride with me due to my enthusiasm - they at least trust me to pay attention! I was definately thinking about my Forester...

El Sid
Window van?

I like that: "Enthusiasm"!! A friend of mine drove through Brazil to Argentina and Peru with his new wife on their honeymoon. Just winged it in a rental POS. The stories he had!

Did I mention We did the southern trek?

Thanks, El Sid. That must have been a great experience.

Rick

·
Registered
2007 Forester
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also did it in 2000 on our Honeymoon. It took us all day as the Mrs wanted to stop at every point on the cassette tape........they gave us this as a tour guide on the road to Hanna. Came around the back in the dark and it was spooky at times! Started a 8am and back to the Hotel (Kapalua Bay Hotel) at midnight. Very cool trip though.
Now that's a Honeymoon you'll never forget!

When we went to watch the sunrise on Haleakala we wanted to take the road down to Kipahulu. But checked our gas level and didn't have enough to take a chance. We hadn't seen the road in daylight so I chickened out :icon_redface:

Next time it will be done!

·
Registered
2009 X Limited
141 Posts
Interesting that this was brought up. I just came back from Maui in August where I did the drive to Hana in a rental Ford Fusion. It was fine. No drama.

Funny thing is... the Fusion made this awful sound at speeds above 55mph...like an alignment issue. Couldn't take it after 2days and Hertz gave me a Forester as a replacement. Had a fun drive up to Haleakala in it! I wish I was driving my own on that road, but a rental Forester is fine as well. :icon_biggrin:

·
Registered
2007 Forester
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Interesting that this was brought up. I just came back from Maui in August where I did the drive to Hana in a rental Ford Fusion. It was fine. No drama.

Funny thing is... the Fusion made this awful sound at speeds above 55mph...like an alignment issue. Couldn't take it after 2days and Hertz gave me a Forester as a replacement. Had a fun drive up to Haleakala in it! I wish I was driving my own on that road, but a rental Forester is fine as well. :icon_biggrin:
I loved the Maui police! If you did the speed limit other drivers would blow past you 20mph over the speed limit! Never saw anyone getting a speeding ticket. Hardly ever saw a cop! :biggrin: Speed limits are just a suggestion there.

Next time we'll rent a Forester!

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
1,545 Posts
When we went to watch the sunrise on Haleakala.
Did that also and rode bicycles all the way down. It was pretty cool but I could not get the bike to really go fast, I cycle a lot so it is not an issue for me to ride down hill fast, the Mrs did like the fact that the bikes did not go fast downhill. All in all pretty cool, both literally and figuratively.

·
Registered
2007 Forester
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Should have titled it "The Road FROM Hana"!

Getting to Hana via the northern route, from Paia, was a piece of cake. I'm talking about the southern route at night returning to Kihei from Hana heading west.

Still, I'm sure many of you have mucho experience with this type of trail. I've driven on some pretty rough stuff in N. Georgia, W. Va., and N. Carolina but Never for nearly 4 hours.

Wish I could find a place like that here on the east coast!

Lots of great stories here, though. Keep them going, guys.

Rick

1 - 14 of 14 Posts