Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forester
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm looking to completely redo the audio in my 2019 forester. Since a lot of websites dont have anything listed for the 19s yet I decided to try to find what works as far as adapters and such. Here's what I have so far: The speaker sizes are Dash - 3 1/2s, Front Door 6x9s, Back Door 6 1/2. Speaker harness adapters appear to be Metra 72-8104 for the front and back doors. The dash had a different connectors which I couldn't find, so I just ended up just cutting them at the wire and spicing in the speaker wire ends that came with the speakers I used for the dash as I already replaced those. The speaker brackets for the front and back doors appear to be Metra 82-8146 (6X9s) and Metra 82-8148 (6 1/2s) For the Dash Kit, I noticed that the 2018 CrossTrek had the same radio design and look as my 2019 Forester. So it looks like the Dash Kit would be the Metra 95-8908HG Kit. Wondering if anyone has upgraded the head unit can confirm this. As for the radio harness, I have not taken my radio out to see what the factory harness looks like or how many connections there are. I'm also look to see what SWC adapter I would end up having to use to retain my steering wheel controls. Im also trying to retain my usb ports, mic and backup camera. If anyone has any good websites to check or knows what wiring harnesses and or diagrams that would work with 2019 please let me know. Im looking to replace the unit with a Sony XAV-AX5000.

·
Registered
2019 Forester
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well I successfully installed an aftermarket radio in my forester without losing any functions and gained a ton of audio eq and audio quality settings. The vechile settings that were in the radio were duplicates of the ones I could change from the speedometer screen. Heres a link to pictures of the finished product. If anyone is interested in parts I used, hit me up.

https://imgur.com/a/ZU2cug4

·
Premium Member
2019 Forester Sport CVT
614 Posts
Did you do the speaker upgrades yet? I am curious if the rear door adapters are correct. The ones I bought were too small. They worked, but the mount holes did not line up with the originals so I had to drill into the metal.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
3 Posts
I'm curious if you did this because of the sound of the Factory Installed Harmon Kardon. I find that it hurts my ears and can barely listen to it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Well I successfully installed an aftermarket radio in my forester without losing any functions and gained a ton of audio eq and audio quality settings. The vechile settings that were in the radio were duplicates of the ones I could change from the speedometer screen. Heres a link to pictures of the finished product. If anyone is interested in parts I used, hit me up.

Dude that looks fantastic! The HORRIFIC base audio is the only thing I don't like about my base Forester. It's pretty bade when my base work truck XL F150 has way better audio. So it looks like you dumped the Sony and went with Kenwood? I was eyeing the Pioneer AVH-W4400NEXI. Pioneer is dropping Waze support but I'm assuming that I can still use Waze navigation via Apple CarPlay. Your observation about the 2018 CrossTrek dash kit is pure genius. I'd very much be interested in having your parts list and THANK YOU in advance!

·
Registered
336 Posts

Can you just post links, so everyone that reads this doesn't have to PM you for the parts.

·
Premium Member
2019 Forester Sport CVT
614 Posts
I'm curious if you did this because of the sound of the Factory Installed Harmon Kardon. I find that it hurts my ears and can barely listen to it.
I actually liked the HK system and was very impressed with the quality. I think this system would make 90% of users super happy.

I am an old school car audio fanatic and have upgraded the audio system in everything I owned. So, my reasons are different than most people. I also opted for the HK system becauase it offered a factory sub and most of my builds are stealth. I ended up building 10" sub on opposite side in fiberglass enclosure to start, but resorted back to the stock look and a wicked awesome 8" sub with massive VMAX movement. Sounds like a 10" sub. So, for me the HK system offered teh best options for speaker upgrades and I am happy with the choice.

In hind sight, I could have saved the money and gone with the Premium package. Then I would have swapped all the speakers, added amps and then bought the HK sub box and rear panel for about $600 and retrofitted this with a high quality 8" sub like I ended up doing. But at the time of purchase, none of those factors were known since it was a brand new platform.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts