Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Forester
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious if anybody has tried slapping on a set of 215/70/16 BFG all terrain's on one of the new foresters and how they handle. I am looking into getting a new set of tires and I have always really liked these. Some of the threads i have read suggest they might be overkill but i like going off-roading quite a bit and really like the look of them. What i haven't seen though is a first-hand account of somebody that has tried it. Anyone?

·
Registered
2009 Forester X Premium
3,121 Posts
I dont see where they'd be any different then the General grabbers some on here run. Your going to lose a little mileage due to a heavier tire and its going to hum going down the road but they should work just fine.

·
Fast & Dirty
2009 Forester XT 4 speed auto
4,050 Posts
I would do a search on General Grabbers and Yokohama Geolander AT/S. these are available in stock 215/65R16

These seem to be the best 2 tires for the dirty Foz owners. I will be getting the AT/S. better highway performance and longer life than grabbers but to each their own.

Cheers

·
Registered
none none
9,011 Posts
I would honestly go with the grabber AT2.

Its nearly identical to the BFG, but a much lighter tire, and more suited to a forester. It's also close to half the price of the BFG, the bfg really isn't worth the extra money. You'll get about the same amount of traction offroad with either one. I'm really not a fan of the BFG except on full size trucks doing expedition type offroading. However the bfg I believe are a little thicker so will resist sidewall cuts and damage a little better than the AT2, however i'd imagine the forester wouldn't hold up well in a situation that would have you destroying an AT tire anyway.

·
Registered
2009 Forester
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yup you are right. I will go with the general grabber. Now what about the spare? Would you recommend getting a cheap steel wheel and a fullsize spare?

·
Registered
2009 Forester X Premium
3,121 Posts
I couldn't believe how much power I lost when I went to the heavy AT General Grabbers tires on my full sized V8 pickup I just never thought about the weight of a tires inpact on performance so i can just imagine what it would be like on a low powered 4 cyl .. I just checked the tire weights stock are 26lbs ea the BFG's 35 lbs ea thats allot of extra mass to get rolling and stopped so expect more wear on drive train and brakes if you go this route.. I also checked the weight on the Yokohama A/T-S their only 28 lbs ea so those indeed would be a much better match for the subies 4 cyl power plant.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts