Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT MT
58 Posts
I rebuilt my heads about a year ago and after getting the fuel lines hooked up correctly, the engine ran great. About a month after the rebuild, I had the IGN fuse blow while accelerating on an on-ramp. I was able to get the car started again once I replaced the fuse. Since the initial fuse blow, the fuse has blown more and more frequently, usually during acceleration. The last time it happened, the fuse repeatedly blew immediately after turning the key to the 'ON' position (without turning key to start) and I was towed back. After leaving the car for a day, it would start without issue.

Since I was wary of driving anywhere I left the car over the winter. I just checked again today and now the car starts without issue but I'm still wary of driving it.

My suspicion is that the harness is rubbing against the engine somewhere causing a wire to melt when the engine is hot. I routed the harness under the inlet, which I am pretty sure is the wrong side. Another possibility is the routing under the upper reservoir. I've attached some images below.

There are no codes currently.

Has anyone had any issues with harness melting due to routing around the engine causing the IGN fuse to blow? Any other obvious things I should look into? If I can get the fuse to blow repeatedly, it would help diagnose. I purchased a resettable fuse to help. I just don't want to get stranded!

Thank you

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT MT
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just to follow up, the issue ended up being part of the harness being pinched between intake and power steering lines. Eventually rubbed through and shorted out on the intake. Happy to have this solved!

Thanks to anyone who checked out this thread.

·
Administrator
2016 & 2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,639 Posts
Glad you found it. Thanks for the followup.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts