Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Forester Premium
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 04 X auto 111k. lately it became harder to shift into 3rd gear when engine is cold.
I wouldn't shift up past 2nd unless I rev it to 2900rpm. After driving a bit it shifts normally.
It happens even when it's warm ouside, around 60.

No codes (just passed inspection), new rear diff oil (mobil1).

Any ideas ?

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
30,105 Posts
It's normal, pretty common on most 04's. Mine does it too. I believe it's even mentioned in the owners manual that shifts may be harsh until the fluid is at operating temp. It's just particularly noticeable on the 2-3 upshift.

·
Registered
17 Forester Premium
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
It's normal, pretty common on most 04's. Mine does it too. I believe it's even mentioned in the owners manual that shifts may be harsh until the fluid is at operating temp. It's just particularly noticeable on the 2-3 upshift.
This harsh upshift started only 2 months ago. Previously I could rev it to 2000-2200 rpm, back up on accelerator a bit and it would shift normally.

When was the last time you have your ATF changed? :confused:

Bobby...
I bought this car 6 months ago, so I don't know when was the AT Oil changed. The oil looks fresh on the dipstick ... :shrug:

Is it safe to change AT oil on a high mileage car with no records of previous AT maintenace ? from my experience at maxima.org many cars had to be towed after transmission oil change on high mileage car. If the oil was never changed it might be better to leave it alone at 111k.

How often do you replace your ATF ?

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT 4eat
4,595 Posts
111,000 miles isn't high enough mileage that you don't ever want to change your transmission fluid. The longer you ignore basic maintenance, the worse it will get. Just make sure you use the right fluid. I stopped keeping track by mileage, I just drain and fill it once a year. I drive about 12,000 to 15,000 miles a year. Some people change it more often, some change it less.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts