Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2015 forester AT
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my 2012 I changed front brakes with rotors and rear pads at 70K. Bought better that OEM rotors and yellow pads for front, and OEM at the rear. I am hard on brakes. I drive in the mountains with a lot of downhill and sharp corners. If I am on pavement I don't shift down (AT), but will on dirt or gravel roads. Have smelly brakes, not smoking when driving down hill. Is there a alternative to OEM brakes and not spend a fortune every time I change pads?
When in town the brakes chatter like a squirrel, but stop good.

·
Registered
2010 forester 4eat
72 Posts
i would try hawk pads paired to cryo power slot rotors. ive used them on other vehicles and never had a failure no matter how hard i pushed them. they run a little expensive but will last as good 60k to 100k depending on your driving style.

·
Registered
2015 forester AT
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
brakes

I put on Hawk yellow pads and good rotors. I have driven 30k miles and iI checked the brakes on the right hand side, the pads were almost down to the metal. So I can't find any pads in stock around Redding Ca without ordering them. So I am going to have Les Schwab order parts, including calipers and have them do the front brakes. That way they are under warranty.

·
Registered
2010 forester 4eat
72 Posts
i thought the yellow pads were ebc. i could be wrong but i was running hawk lts with cryo rotors and after 50k hard miles i still had half life on them.

·
Registered
2005 Forester 2.5XT 5 Speed Manual
316 Posts
Hawk hps for street use and hawk hp+ for racing.
Yellow stuff is ebc and I think it's not the best you get.

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5x
702 Posts
I would definitely shift down on a downhill mountain road, automatic or no. I do it, gravel or pavement. Helps keep your speed down and your foot not on the brake so much. I'll bet somewhere in your owner's manual Subaru suggests doing the same.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts