Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Sube slushy
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just noticed in the 2nd and 3rd time out in my 04 xt a/t, whwn it's cold out and just initially starting out, the first few downshifts from 3-2 hit really hard like when you're manually downshifting at too high a speed. Any ideas? only 17k on it now.

·
Registered
2004 XT AT
1,101 Posts
Do you mean kickdown downshifts or general ones? Mine seem to be pretty smooth, but I drive gently while it's warming up. The thing I notice when mine is cold is that light throttle upshifts feel a bit like the car is being slowed down a little during the shifts. Doesn't feel like that when it's warm.

·
Registered
2004 Sube slushy
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The regular computer controlled downshifts. It's lasted less than a mile and then smoothed out normally.

Your upshifts are probably a gap in shifting from thick cold atf. Yours sounds more normal than mine.

I'ma a little 4eat-shy after owning 3 SVXs needing 6 trannys.

·
Registered
1998 Forester "S" lifted. Bog-o-matic
2,006 Posts
When the transmission is cold the shifting characteristics will be different from when the transmission is fully warmed up. However, if it is as harsh as you say it is, then the TCM may need a reflash.

Take it in to the dealer (you will have to drop it off overnight so they can replicate the condition), chances are the TCM may need an update. We just did one on a 04 4eat XT (similar complaint), did the reflash and BAM! no more BAM!.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts