Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Aspiring Post Ho
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, many of you know that I have torn the car apart or parted it out a couple of times only to end up keeping it because I did not think I could afford getting rid of it. Today my friends it is a different story.

The car is coming along with the rebuild as some of you may have seen in the gallary section. But I read a post on NASIOC today and replied back. The guy is looking to buy a Forester. He tried to get an XS that was listed in autotrader but was a day late. It was an 04 with 52K on it and he was going to pay $14,900 for it. I thought man I owe about that on my car. So I called to double check and I only owe 12.9k on mine. Mine has 35k on it. He then asked if I would consider selling it. I through out a figure of maybe around $16k and he has since pretty much stated that he can bring me a cashiers check this weekend! Oh my God! This guy is serious.

I then spoke with the wife who now does not understand why I want to get rid of the car after all the times of telling me to detune it and get something nicer. really! man? I then ran up to the dealer ship to take a look at the LGT as that is really the only thing that I am half way interested in. I must say, I love the interior and the car over all looks really nice. Not sure what wheels I would want on it but hey, I know they already make a bunch of parts for it.

Then reality hit as I was walking back out to my car. "Damn, my car looks pretty frickn Sick! right now!" What am I thinking. I would look like every other joe blow on the road if I get the LGT untill I sink some serious coin into it. I would however end up spending my profit from my car on just buying the new one! Then I would be back at ground zero! With another 5 year car note!

So, I think I have made up my mind but what would you guys do? Seriously, I mean the LGT is a really nice ride and I really do not need a wagon since we have an Explorer as well. I think the hardest thing is knowing that I will not be able to do any mods for a long time!

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,441 Posts
I can't make up your mind for you.. but if your not 100% certain that your going to be happy with the decision you "think" you've decided on.. I wouldn't go for it. Whether you feel that you are ready for an upgrade to a different car or whether or not you feel that you would rather keep your current ride and maybe see that day where you don't owe another dime for it! (more money for mods.. :twisted: ) If your currently satisified with where you are, I'd stay there.. there have been alot of times where I'll go back and foruth about trading/selling up my forester and putting my money towards an 02 wrx or impreza rs.. but then I give it some time and then I realise that I'm completely satisifed with my car.. and I dont have to pay a monthly car payment!

Good luck on the upcoming decision

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,456 Posts
Don't do it... for the very reasons you mentioned. Pay off the FXT first and then re-think your options. It just doesn't make any sense to get into another 5 years of payments and start the modding from square one.

Was it the LGT wagon you looked at? I thought they were no longer available with MT?

·
Registered
2011 Toyota Tacoma DCSB Auto
1,928 Posts
take a leap and you might find out you actually like/love it thats how i describe my schooling im currently goin for a double major in aviation technologies it was a leap back in the day when i went for my associates in aviation maint. but the funny thing is im still in school end of me rambling

·
06 X Auto
2006 Auto Auto
976 Posts
I think the best feeling is making that last payment and getting that title in the mail. Seems like you like to tune. If you get the new car, you'll start again and spend more, spend on the new car and lose a lot of what you put into the Box.

You've got a nice car already...

·
Registered
2006 RX8
423 Posts
Is your Fxt everything you want it to be? Sometimes its not just owning the car, but its the journey to making it something special that makes us hold onto a car. It sounds like you have been here before, and opted to stick with the Fxt. Something is motivating you to consider selling it though, and thats probably not going to go away. Its like someone turning in their resignation at work then deciding to stay....sooner or later they will be gone anyway...probably sooner.

Cars are just metal, glass, and rubber, and sometimes we put a lot of blood sweat and tears into making them what we want personally. In the end, its not whether you sell it or keep it, because sooner or later you will sell it.... its really a decision of timing and whether you are ready to let her go.

Good luck with your choice

Jeff

N

·
0 Posts
Greed for the future can sometimes taint the pleasure of the present.

In other words, enjoy the car you have now. Furthermore, you OWN it.

Don't get into the vicious cycle of wanting what you don't have and then regret it with the cycle of car payments (again). They suck and the only smiling is the dealership!

Best of luck with your decision.

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
Sounds like you have enough money to do whatever you want. I say that based solely on your comment about multiple rebuilds of your current vehicle.

I guess it all comes down to what fits your needs more. Paying lots of money on depreciating assets is never a great idea. Not that I'm one to criticize on that specific point, but it is a fair point.

I think your vehicle looks sick. Would love for mine to look like that.

·
Registered
39 Posts
That same or similar LGT will still be there in 6 months or a year. Good MT 04-05 XTs (best vintage - my opinion) will be increasingly hard to find, so be sure you really want to get rid of it.

Plus your car has personality....

No car payments is a nice feeling. We are old fashioned - we save up and buy ours for cash.

JP

04 FXT

·
Recovering Modaholic
1,304 Posts
hold onto the FXT, the mod factor is endless! if you run your motor into the ground by the time you pay it off, Crawford block and 6mt! then you'll have an uber FXT :D

I have the same feeling about the 04-05 FXT 5mt's, they're sought after and will remain on the high end of the blue book resale value.

·
6/22/76 - 12/21/14 , Gone but not forgotten
742 Posts
do whatever u want.

i know more than one member here has bought and sold a car just because it didn't end up suiting them.

an LGT is a fantastic vehicle. i always see a lowered wagon in my neighborhood. it's just gorgeous.

i've slowly grown to love the FXT. it's a great vehicle. but i still window shop on classifieds and in car magazines.

dreams are always good!

·
Registered
2006 '06 FXT
835 Posts
You like working on your FXT - You own considerably less than its worth, and you are at least satisfied with it. Listen to your wife! She knows you better than anyone.
--Why would you trade it after putting so much time into it?
--Why would you want a 5 year loan for $30,000?
--What are you going to do with your spare time? (Think hard about this one - You obviously spend a lot of enjoyable time working on the car!)
--No matter what you do to the LGT it will look like most other sedans out there - the general shape is just too generic to standout - Not bad, but a 4D sedan in the aero theme is like a whole slew of others.

And, the most important thing, we need your continued input here!! :wink:

·
Aspiring Post Ho
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Guys, I really do appreciate your comments. I spent some restless hours thinking of this last night and even ran up to the dealership and sat in a LGT. i love the interior of that car but the shape is bland and the motor while 2.5 looks totally different with that big damn plastic cover on it.

I have decided that I will keep the DAMN WAGON. You guys are all correct in stating that I have put too much time and effort into it to just let it go and start over. I only have about 2.5 more years to pay on it if not getting it paid off early.

I also must say that every time I go places with all the other suby guys, it is my car that is getting all the attention because it is so different. It does stand out in the crowd which is pretty cool in all reality.

I also think that by the time it is paid off it may need a new trans and having extra money to do that would be nice. Not to mention the rotate mounted GT35R kit that could be stuck on it by then. (right...)

So, I have now sent the guy a message stating that I am going to pass. I also think that I would simply be jumping right into something that I am not really sure about. I can not imagine the wifes expression when the car has a set of Greddy mufflers sticking out the back making the same sort of noise as the wagon does now! IMO that would defeat the whole idea of getting the nicer car for the family to start with. Who knows, maybe when the wagon is paid off I will just end up getting a 3rd car. then I could have it all if you will. The nice car to go out with the family in and the toy to really dump money into.

So, Thanks!

Will, I did take a cold shower this morning and that did add some clarity to my life. this was not due to the car situation mind you but because the water heater was out at the gym! I basically ran into the steam room and got real hot first and then jumped in to cool off.

·
Aspiring Post Ho
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ya, I think so as well! Even Lisa (wife) is happy that I did not rush into it and sell the car. I think it is more so because she does not want me fixing up another suby really.

·
Ze flying Russian
2007 STI
2,008 Posts
I have the same feelings about LGT. The car looks good, really Subaru did a good job. But .... this car now looks like just another Camry to me ... it's funny how it works, every time I'm at a dealership I walk around this car, I admire it, but something inside me knows for sure that I'm not going to buy it ... it's just blends too much into the rest of the traffic. I hate STI's wing but I would rather get it than buying an LGT. Just my view on this.

You got me worried for a second. :) I'm glad that you're staying in the family, Chris.

·
Asphalt Surfers Unlimited
2004 Forester XT
742 Posts
The potential buyer was me!

Sorry you're not selling yet... but I understand your reasoning.

If you change your mind... just realize you'd be selling within the family, the car would go to a good home and spend the rest of its life surfing the twisties at speed! :D :D I've been highly active in the Subaru community since late '98... I'm not going anywhere, and the car would remain an active part of the community. ;) :)

Personally, if I had the money to drop right now there's no question I'd be driving a Legacy GT or Outback XT. It's just an awesome vehicle.

Let me know if/when you change your mind on the F-XT!

Best wishes,

Jason Porter
NASIOC member #486

·
Aspiring Post Ho
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thats Jason! I saw you member number on NASIOC and knew it would be ok. I had no worries about that. Just the starting all over and dealing with a new payment and an increase in insurance I am sure that really hit me the hardest. i have come along way with this car and feel that myself and several others really helped pave the road for the FXT guys. I would def. feel comfortable having the car stay in the family so that part of it is great! I love the LGT but having a tricked out FXT just seems more appealing!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts