Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Forester S auto
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if this https://www.harborfreight.com/tubeless-tire-repair-kit-9-pc-62611.html or ANY tire plug kit is worth keeping in the spare tire bay. Has anyone ever used these types of plug kits? I know that it's a method that most shops use to repair tires, but it's usually after they separate the wheel from the tire. What if you were on the highway and wanted to make a quick tread repair and then use a portable 12v air compressor to re-inflate? Would it work AND be a permanent fix??

·
Administrator
17,250 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Touring CVT
131 Posts
Agree with Kevin on nearly all counts. I've used the plug kits for years, including a few weeks ago on a Chevy. About the handles-not that Kevin's wrong, but I'd add that you should avoid a kit with a straight plastic handles and get T-handled ones, whether plastic or metal--it makes reaming and inserting the plug MUCH easier. BTW, don't be afraid to ream the hole out and coat the plug and hole liberally liberally with adhesive. I've used both leather and uncured rubber plugs and I prefer the rubber--never had a failure with them. Finally, the advice about tread and not sidewall is gospel.

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5x 4EAT
1,118 Posts
Absolutely. Two rubber sticks of a cheap kit filled the hole left by a half inch air fitting I ran over down the road from our house. Another filled the hole left by a random screw picked up a few towns over that a tire place wouldn't touch because it was only 1.5" from the sidewall.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport Lineartronic® CVT
342 Posts
Been using for 40 years, but learned long ago to get the brown gooey strips. Them black ones suck.

Yeah, all aluminum handles are best idea. Also easier to push into an aired up tire. Most often, if I fix at home, I removed wheel and tire so I can push straight down with rasp or insertion tool. On car, I position leak in lower half, about 45 degrees towards front or rear of car, to the fender edge that allows me easiest push whilst laying on ground.

Never yet had a brown insert fail, have had less gooey black ones leak.

I also have some umbrella like "patch-plugs" (below) but they get inserted inside the tire, metal tip through hole, adhesive under umbrella, and grasp metal tip on outside and pull into place, reseat tire bead on rim, air up, trim excess.

I've used them on tires in my police cars even, so I still had a spare until supply truck ran. Have run high speeds, no issues ever.

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Touring CVT
1,203 Posts
Always good to have a repair kit on hand. I used it to patch the daughters rear tire on Saturday -- worked great.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts