Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT CVT
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Welcome to the build thread of my wife's daily a 2017 DGM XT premium.

What started as warranty work on her 2012 Impreza sport ended up with a brand new Forester XT coming home with us. Subaru number 3 for us, I had an 04 FXT that we lost to ring lands failure are 150k and no place to do a motor swap. Goals for it are simple, reliable fun to drive daily driver commuter car and long weekend get away adventures. To that end the build is going to be very simple focusing on a stock + approach right now.

Current mods

Interior
Rubber rear cargo liner
OEM all weather mats (want to get something better for the front)

Suspension
STI Rear swaybar-this is a must do for any XT owner and easily the best $100 I have ever spent on a car.

Performance
2016 WRX Axle back, it is on the droney sided but she likes it, may try to replace the mid pipe down the road with a STI one but she's happy with it.

Plans,
Fog lights not sure what direction yet
LED interior and puddle lights
Tuner (AP to start and possibly do a pro tune down the road)
Danoz clamp mod
Better tires, keeping stock wheels for now

Day 1 at the dealer

She she sits now

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT CVT
274 Posts
Dig it. Mine will be similar.

Got the 20mm rsb and rally armors already

I have hella super tones and 500FFs waiting to be installed (gotta make a custom bracket for the lights)

Gonna do steering damper lock out, wheels and tires, a strut tower brace, nameless muf deletes (maybe a sti mid) and a CG-lock for the seat belt in the near future / as my budget (read wife) allows.

The “biggest” upgrade I want to make it fromt mount cvt cooler. You can find generic ones on jegs pretty cheep, like half the cost of the JDM part and like way less then the mishimoto one. But this will happen only after my warranty period is up. I think it’s may be one of the most important things to do if i want to drive my foz for a long time... and especially if I want to drive it quickly for a long time!

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT CVT
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
In the sprit of a weekend get away vehicle we took it down to Beaufort SC for a spring break weekend. My wife is taking classes at Purdue online for a Systems Engineering Masters and her spring break form classes was last week. We both took Friday off and enjoyed some time on the coast.

Main street in Beaufort SC

Hunters Island SC

an obligatory photo of the happy wife and I on the beach and yes I am rocking a Subaru Rally Team hat

·
Registered
2015 Forester
1 Posts
I love that car! I just wish they came with a 6 speed! I wanted to get one but ended up getting the base model bc that was the only one that came with a standard.

·
Registered
2013 F-XT 4eat
1,318 Posts
Exhaust Drone Be-Gone

The fix for the drone is as simple as stuffing one Scotch Brite pad into one port of each muffler. Only push it in as far as the initial lip... You'll see how the pipe expands a bit. Using a broom handle or misc. 1/2" pvc scrap pipe works nicely. And if you need to pull it back out. The old wire hanger with built-in hook trick works.

It may seem hokey, but it work. :wink2:

The blockage negates the negative air pulses the exhaust makes with the quad-tip.

In a perfect world, Subaru would have a spring loaded hinge/flap in the second port to stop this effect.

C.

Scotch Brite on Flickr

IMG_20160224_160143706 , on Flickr

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT CVT
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Abuse test complete. verdict these tires rock. put over 1000 miles on them mix of highway cursing twisty mountain roads and a good bit of forest service and fire roads and they handled everything flawlessly.

Fozzy_1.jpg

1 - 11 of 11 Posts