Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Forester e-Boxer
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems to be that this section of forum is quite quiet. Any other 2.0 non-turbo users here? Are you happy with the engine?

I am so far. Of course some more power & torque could be available but it seems that I have get used to its limits. Runs very smooth and no oil consumption is seen here so far.

Interesting to see how it performs in cold weather next winter. But first, let's enjoy the summer!

·
Registered
2004 forester 2.0X
21 Posts
Well,yes. Happy! Like you, no oil consumption, whatsoever. Didn't know it was an issue. :)
The only thing I'm trying to find out, is why every now and then I loose power , only to regain it after a couple of engine starts. I don't know if it can be called a power loss, but the engine feels sluggish, when trying to accelerate, and it then feels snappy after few engine restarts. ( cycling the key in the ignition )
Over all, yes, very happy with my 2004 2.0X N/A Subaru!

Sent from my HTC One X+

·
Registered
13 forester x 2.0 manual
19 Posts
The faster cars need more 'care'. Happy with mine after 1 year and 10k km. Was lucky to get a low mileage JDM at 64k km on the odo.
Am gentle, have never gone over 125 kph

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I have occasionally sneaked into the 80's just to have a peak , but quickly withdraw to my comfort zone which is where i can hog the slow lane.. :icon_cool:

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.0X CVT
43 Posts
I am a happy 2.0L non-turbo driver. :)

I am not a kid anymore that needs the thrill of acceleration. Done plenty of that.

Sometimes on highways when overtaking I wish there was an extra boost from somewhere.. :) but it is OK.

It has a better fuel economy than my family members Toyota Rav4 2012 and Toyota Avensis 2009 (both 2.0L 150HP non-turbo with CVT, same as Forester).

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.0X CVT
43 Posts
Has anyone else experienced a slow paced ticking noise after the engine has been turned off and car parked? Sometimes when I leave the car I hear a ticking noise (like every 2 seconds for about 20 seconds total). Anyone else?

·
Registered
1999 Forester S Turbo 5MT
1,960 Posts
That's likely the exhaust shields cooling, they can be quite noisy. Apologies, I drive a turbo and hope my words will not offend or fall on deaf ears :lol:. But seriously, the Forester platform is a bit unique and while many compare it to Rav 4s, Vitaras etc, it's not like them. The Foz is a well designed compact estate car sitting on possibly one of the best AWD systems around and suspension that allows it to tackle a lot of tricky situations that even the above mentioned cars can't deal with without difficulty. The lower power output of the NA is the buyers choice but if economy is anywhere on your list of priorities, don't consider a Forester, although the new ones and the diesel are quite respectable. Also, in a crash, the Forester is the car to be in and the newest model has the highest safety rating IIRC, of any new car and the older models are highly rated too in that area.

My modified 99 S turbo allows me to deal with idiots on the road of which there are plenty of here, and to get out of junctions rapidly in areas where there seems to be either ongoing road upgrades or vastly overdue improvements to major routes. Other than that I don't really use the 268/280 I have available other than for safe overtaking. If none of these things is a regular blight in your driving, then you don't need them anyway.

On the Prius? Personally I think this is a stupid vehicle which unwittingly undoes any ecological good it does during it's manufacture but particularly at the end of its life when it has to be recycled. Those batteries (and the quantity of them) and the contents are detrimental to the Earth in extraction and disposal. This is the same for any battery hybrid car and is not my opinion, check it out so while many feel they are looking after nature, unwittingly those that are genuine in this belief, will get a nasty shock somewhere down the line when the truth outs, and it will if someone has vested interest in 'knocking' this technology in the future.

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.0X CVT
43 Posts
Subaru has put in a lot of effort to make the 2.0i NA engine one of the best in fuel economy.

If we look at the technical specifiactions then it consumes slightly less fuel than CX-5 which is wrongfully believied to be class leader. Real world milage might differ but according to the book Forester 2.0i NA is the best choice.

·
Registered
2014 For 2.0i Premium LP CVT
7 Posts
So far I'm neither happy nor unhappy. This is my first Subaru - after having had five Volvos of different sizes ...

My Forester is a MY 2013 (= US MY 2014) 2.0i (Premium trim, includes moonroof, leather seats, keyless entry, start/stop, GPS, paddles, backup camera, ...), 150 hp gasoline, CVT and Yokohama M+S tires. Manufactured in Gunma on 1 September.

CVT - Works generally fine. But, I've noticed that the software algorithm sometimes has difficulty in interpreting my intentions, in particular when I make small adjustments to the accelerator. And, I sometimes like, sometimes dislike, the "turbo lag" effect I perceive when I press the accelerator.

And, it's a bit noisy at low speeds.

Seats - Well, they aren't Volvo seats. My back will not stand a full day of driving, I'm afraid. And the lack of adjustments on the front passenger seat is annoying.

Mileage - Manufacturer figures are 29 mpg (US) city, 43 mpg (highway), 36 mpg combined.

The first 435 miles gave me 32 mpg (with a lot of "mountain climbing"), the following 335 miles 38 mpg. Yesterday some 60 miles on highway (including a mountain pass) with cruise control set to 55 mi/h resulted in 44 mpg. Much better than any of my Volvos.

Subaru seems to be rather honest here.

And, remember also, in France we pay approx. USD 8.5 per gallon for gasoline! Mileage is an important characteristic of a car here ....

GPS - For me, it was part of the package with the moonroof etc. If ordered separately Subaru France charges EUR 1000 (ca USD 1350) for it. One tenth of that sum will give you a much, much better Garmin or Tomtom device. I will certainly continue to use my Garmin for navigation. But I like that the backup camera uses the same large screen.

Design - That's a matter of taste. It's certainly not French taste (Subaru has only 0.5 permille of the French car market!).

Reliability - It's a complex car (electronics). But here in France it simply has to be reliable! In France with its almost 70 million inhabitants there are only some 60 Subaru dealerships. On average only slightly more than 1 (one) Subaru car is sold per dealerhip - per month!! But, if it's reliable, their mechanics won't get much training. I've already noticed an anomaly with the Forester's software. I doubt it's meaningful to discuss that with a Subaru dealership's mechanic. Cross fingers - knock on wood!

Why not an XT? - This version/trim's cost including delivery charges, registration and CO2 tax is already ca EUR 36000 (USD 48600). The XT would have cost me ca USD 13500 more (partly due to the exponential curve for the French CO2 tax). The power of the non-turbo turns out to be fully sufficient to me, actually better than what I've had in any of my Volvos. I doubt that Subaru will sell any XT at all in France.

--------

So far I'm rather satisfied with the Forester. But, reading a lot of forum comments, I'm starting to think that the Forester is a car you either love of hate. And some will both love and hate it. Future will show which one I'll become ...

·
Registered
2010 Forester Active 2.0X MT 2x5 - MT with Dual Range reduction
1,235 Posts
Although I am a member of the forum already since August 2012, I just found this thread.

Therefore I add my two cents now to revive the thread.

My first Subaru was a N/A 2.0 Impreza 2005, 125hp, lifted to a clearance of 18 cm for hunting purposes. Lost it by a not-at-fault write-off in April 2007.

The next Subaru was a N/A 2.0 Forester 2007, 158 hp.

Both the Impreza and the Forester 2007 had a LPG installation. I have been always contented with these LPG installations - it was the cheapest drving I ever have done.

2011 I replaced the Forester 2007 with a mileage of 154000 kilometers by my current N/A 2.0 Forester 2010. It was an employee's car.

The Impreza, the Forester 2007 and the Forester 2010 had/has the Dual Range reduction, which is very usefull for off-roading while hunting.

For all of my purposes - daily driving, traveling, hunting and off-roading - the Forester was, is and will be the perfect car.

·
Registered
2018 Forester 2.0i N/A CVT
90 Posts
Salve

Recently i bought a new Forester 2.0i N/A with CVT.This my number 6 Forester since 1998.
Very nice and smooth car with better performance than my 2010 Forester 4EAT.
The car has *full monty* for hunting purposes in NL and DE:grin2:

regards from NL

Wim

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium cvt
517 Posts
I'm very happy with mine! Turbo, Premium gas and bumpy rides of other models are not for me, although I've had that in the past. Different models for different needs.

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.0
2 Posts
My forester has 62000 kms and the engine works really well.
The performance with CVT is great: 7.2 l / 100 km
I wouldn't change with a diesel (I had forester Diesel and I had problems with dpf)
Great car simple engine excellent in the mountains
Toni

·
Registered
2003 Forester 2.0X
37 Posts
I have a Forester 2.0X from 2004, so it has the old 125BHP engine. I bought it for fuel efficiency (had diesel cars before), but regret not buying a turbo powered Forester. To me, the lack of torque is the worse. A 125BHP can be a lot of fun, but not even 200Nm of torque is not enough to my taste.

But, on the other hand, it's great fun to drive and it goes fast enought (194 kph on the GPS), everything stock.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.