Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Fast & Dirty
2009 Forester XT 4 speed auto
4,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.

I have ordered these tires in 225/55R17. This is the stock size.

The roads were icy today and I wish I had them. However, the WS50's did the job at 20 km/hr.:biggrin:

This is my journal on how they perform in the foothill of Calgary and the mountains just west of me.

Cheers

·
Registered
1999 Forester S
131 Posts
Please keep up info. Looking for 17" studded winter tires so I'm interested in your impressions.

·
Registered
2008 Forester AE
1,726 Posts
harsh, :icon_frown: you go to a tire shop the first week it snows, order a specific model in an odd/specific size, and then get the even rarer studded version, and then freak when they aren't on in less than two days? Tire shops everywhere suck right now, cut them some slack. maybe that would've worked if you were ordering them in august..

not trying to be a jerk, but man have you thought of what it would be like to work at a tire shop this week? :biggrin:

·
Fast & Dirty
4,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I feel their pain. THis is why I said I would wait for them.

I will not cut them slack when they do not return calls or give you 10 minutes to decide on tires they have.

Warren and Chad had every opportunity to make this a success but did nothing. Any tire shop can give great service when you are the only in the shop. Add a bit of pressure and they all cave.

·
Fast & Dirty
4,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well it has been a couple of weeks and these tires have not seen any snow. Of course. If I wanted to prolong the golf season I should have bought them a month earlier. LOL

Anyway, on the few kilometers I have driven on them this is what I have found to date:
- at slow speed (aka parking lot) they are quite loud. Its like driving over loose gravel. These are studded so you have to expect more noise.
- the higher speeds do not mean they are louder than other winter tires. (ie Blizzaks WS-50. Have these on minivan)
- corning is good compared to stock tires. Granted, I do not take corners fast. The 8.5 month pregnant wife, the 21 month old and 2 dogs would not appreciate it. I do like to pass other slower rice rockets. A simple pleasure is seeing their face when they were just passed my a Forester with the above mentioned family in it. Sweeeeet turbo.
- no missing studs.

·
Fast & Dirty
4,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Finally got some snow since I got my iPikes.

All hail "king of winter roads!!" I can now easily avoid those GM SUVs that think they are invincible when the roads get white. Morons. One guy actually kept his foot to the floor while his rear wheels spun like crazy. Damn that Trail Blazer sucks.

Oh well, I climbed the hill with easy .

Sweet AWD with studs.

·
Fast & Dirty
4,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well after a kick *** snow storm the studded tires are proving themselves again.

On the frozen streets of Edmonton my FXT leaves all others in my snowy dust. The traction is unreal. As long as they are legal I will never own anything BUT studded winter tires. It is actually "fun" to drive will surviving winter.

·
TANSTAAFL
2010 2.5X Premium AFF 4EAT
481 Posts
Good info, Subieoutlaw. A local tire store stocks iPikes, I'll be looking at them when I replace the stock tires on the Sube.

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,100 Posts
They are great tires. I have them on both my Foresters. It has been between 14 and 30 degrees here for the past week, so we have really icy roads. You wouldn't know it with the iPikes though.

·
Registered
2008 Forester XT Limited
1,956 Posts
So.. I am on the fence between ipikes, winterforce, or Blizzacks.
I live in the San Francisco area so, no too many frozen roads, however i will be making trips north to go boarding a lot this season. I have a set of 16" WRX rims i wanna throw a set of winter tires on.. What do you all think?
:) Thank you!

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,100 Posts
From my experience:

Blizzacks are great at first, but wear out quickly.

Winterforce are monsters in the snow, super cheap, but the sidewalls feel like stock Geos. They are a little soft.

iPikes are just as good as the Winterforce in the snow, have stiffer sidewalls for better dry traction, but cost a little more than the winterforce.

·
Premium Member
2007 XT Sport 5MT
24,101 Posts
I wish we were allowed to have studded winter tires south of Parry Sound in Ontario... So I've got a set of Xice2's to try and make up for that.

Tip for Subieoutlaw... if you want to run studded tires, don't ever move to a part of Ontario that is south of Parry Sound.

·
Fast & Dirty
4,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I use to live in TO for 35 years.
IMO you do not need studs in SO. You simply need good snow tires. You do not get the cold we get in Alberta. -20 for weeks is where my studs prove their worth. In TO it gets cold but not for long or as cold.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts