Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm looking for exhaust hangers longer than the KartBoy 4" long ones, anyone know of some? Exhaust and auto shops around here are filled with lazy brain-dead pansies who don't even want to look at me when I walk in with a KB hanger in my hand.

It would have to be 1/2" to an inch longer than the 4" KB hanger, see pictures here.

Thank you,

Stan

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,008 Posts
The Napa hangers are a bit longer than the Kartboy XLs. My maddad whisper almost touched my bumper with the Kartboy XL, but it fit perfect with the NAPA hangers.

The part number is: 35719

·
Premium Member
10,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I walked into a NAPA store -- that's the first place I went. The second I walk in, the guy behind the counter goes "oh no.." because he saw the KB hanger in my hands.

I'll check online. I swear, why do these people even come close to an auto parts store if they have no clue what a car is?

Stan

·
The Sub kit guy
13,008 Posts
You might also be able to make your own hangers. Most autopart stores carry "spring boosters", and their might be some that at long enough. They aer simialr type material as KB hangers, you would just need to drill some holes.

·
Premium Member
10,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Would anyone be able to measure their NAPA XL hangers, like the distance between middle (or inside points) of the mounting holes? If the NAPA hangers will work for me, I'd be willing to trade a pair of KB long hangers for a pair of ones that will fit my setup.

Stan

·
Premium Member
10,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Found these, would love to know the measurements if anyone has them. Also, if anyone has a pair and they are too long for your use, take the opportunity to trade them for a pair of 4" KBs.

Stan

·
Premium Member
10,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I found a NAPA store with cool people in it, they were able to order me 2 hangers overnight. Here are (crappy iphone) pictures of the KB long 4" hangers and NAPA 35719 next to each other:

Stan

·
The Sub kit guy
13,008 Posts
Will they work for you? My only concern would be that since they are softer the muffler may swap more and bang your hitch. That would be annoying.

have you tried the maddad yet? I'm curious as to how you liek it.

·
Premium Member
10,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have not tired it yet. I want to try it, I figured cheapest way to make it work is longer hangers and a 2.5" donut to 3" flat flange adapter. I'll order the adapter and try installing it, if it works for me I may consider taking it to a welding place for a 3" downpipe flange and hanger relocation.

I'm getting quotes of $250+ for doing the welding work. Also most shops don't TIG weld.

Didn't you have the MadDad? What'd you think, too loud?

Stan

·
The Sub kit guy
13,008 Posts
I had the 2.5" Whisper and it was great around town, on the highway (no drone) and the sound was perfect. My only issue is going up hills or when towing it got pretty loud. Not Prodrive loud, but enough that it started to bug me. I live at the top of a 1.5 mile long 500ft tall hill, so going up it everyday started to bug me a litle bit. Since my car is a family hauler, I like it quiet.

I think for most people, the maddad whispers are perfect and some even say they are too quiet!

·
Premium Member
10,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I like quiet. I do have to consider other people riding in the car on a regular basis at this time, so we'll see how this works out. Worst comes to worst, it will be up for sale.

It is a very nice piece, and full 3".

Stan

·
Registered
2007 XT - 5MT ELH, EWG, E85, Kinugawa TD06SL 20G 8cm
1,587 Posts
I will try "again" to source the NAPAs locally, it took me forever to figure out a way to hang my MadDad STi muffler without touching the bumper, finally I decided to zip-tie two KB XL hangers per side, not a very elegant and economical solution.

I will have to print this posting as evidence since last time I asked for these hangers counter NAPA boy looked at me like really! this guy wants :crazy:, after a couple of other NAPAs they suggested to go to a 4th NAPA store that specializes in trucks but no luck either so I decided to zip-tie two XL KBs per side as a last resort.

As far as Whispers, people seem to forget that Whispers as any other muffler get louder as time goes by. Mine is definitely louder than when new, I like it better that way so no complaints here.

If someones is interested I have a video running the MAdDad on the video forum. It's called 2007 Snow drifting fun or something like that.

·
Registered
2008 XT Limited 4EAT
414 Posts
When I tried to trade the Prodrive for a Whisper, someone said the Maddad was not much quieter. Can't wait for your review after you get it on.

·
Premium Member
10,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Same here. Will order the 2.5" to 3" adapter now, may have the exhaust on next week.

I will try "again" to source the NAPAs locally, it took me forever to figure out a way to hang my MadDad STi muffler without touching the bumper, finally I decided to zip-tie two KB XL hangers per side, not a very elegant and economical solution.
I've thought of cutting KB hangers and gluing in pieces to extend them :icon_rolleyes: Not elegant or cheap either.

I've seen videos of the Whisper and it definitely sounds bassy and boomy. I'm pretty sure the whole "Whisper" thing is just a name, straight-through mufflers aren't quiet on our cars, especially without the resonator in the midpipe. We'll see how bad it really is -- I loved my Prodrive, but it got annoying sometimes. Keeping the 2.5" donut flange on the downpipe would allow me to swap my STi catback back on for long trips and such, but I'd rather get re-tuned with the 3" exhaust.

Stan

1 - 17 of 17 Posts