Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2011 2.5XT Touring
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have experience with this program? It seems to be pretty simple, essentially Subaru will reimburse purchasers of new vehicles up to $1,000 for adaptive driving equipment installation. You provide them with info after purchase and they cut a check. Maybe a dealer would offer something similar as well?

I haven't logged into the forum in some time. Anyway, due to several malignancies which involved major surgeries I now need to use hand controls to drive. I'm just starting out with this and I'm exploring/ testing different systems. The equipment I'm interested in purchasing is not inexpensive and I'm going to sell my '11 XT (55k miles) to my sister rather than installing this new equipment in it. The Bluetooth enabled spinner control knob and installation is close to $4k alone if I go for it. The hand controls whether they're mechanical or even partially integrated with the cars electrical system range in price widely.

I need to figure out if the hand controls could cause issues with the car and with Eyesight if I choose to get it but that's a question for the installer. If you have experience with Subaru and hand controls I'd like to hear from you. These are all pre-purchase cconcerns. The equipment will work in my current Subie But I'm just starting my research for a new car.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2006 SG XT Lux Auto
5 Posts
First I've heard of this! I have to sell my '06 Fozzy XT which I've had hand controls put in, but when I'm in a better financial place I want the new S4 tS Forester and very interested to learn more about this Mobility Assist!

·
Registered
2011 2.5XT Touring
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I should have some answers soon! I just finished up my hand control training today. After I pass my driving test I'll buy the '17. I'm going to have a Veigel right hand twist push and a Suregrip RF-360 installed in the new Subaru. My sister is taking my '11.

It's been close to a year since I've been able to drive. I can't wait to get back on the road on my own.

·
Registered
2006 SG XT Lux Auto
5 Posts
Which car are you getting? How exciting! I've decided to keep my Fozzy until the next upgrade version of the Outback is available. I'm still a bit concerned about the height of the Outback, it seems higher (for getting the wheelchair in and out) than my 06 Foz - and I've put king springs and KYB shocks on it, lowering it about 100mm - although the height when stock was fine. Be good to hear your experience. And I realized after posting before that that program isn't available in Australia :(

·
Registered
2011 2.5XT Touring
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi,

Sorry to get back to you so late. I'm probably going for the Touring XT ('17). The '18s are on their way so possibly an '18.... I'm not sure.

I just passed my hand controls driving test this morning. I was nervous about being tested but not so much about driving if that makes any sense. I'm surprised that the program isn't available worldwide. Do you think they would help you out if you contacted them directly?

Barry

·
Registered
2011 2.5XT Touring
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Purchased a 2018 Touring 2.5i and I'll have the adaptive equipment installed soon.

I might be able to get a video up somewhere - some folks might find it interesting.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Premium 6MT
117 Posts
Congrats on your new Forester!

I'd be interested to see how the controls work. I don't need to use hand controls now, but am always interested in how things work. My last experience with hand controls was when a good friend had serious left knee surgery and needed hand control(s) for his '76 Toyota pickup (manual trans). The setup consisted of a big lever on the lower left dash that would push in the clutch while you shifted with your right hand. Look ma, no hands on the wheel! Good thing this was decades ago; would have made it really hard to text at the same time :roll eyes: I imagine things are a bit different now.

·
Registered
2011 2.5XT Touring
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm back on the road! Picked the car up and drove home yesterday afternoon.

The installation went well and looks great. The spinner knob stands out. It has about 6-9 secondary controls programmed and available for me to use. The handle by the parking brake is the throttle/brake.

They also installed my Hella Horns too!

Attachments

·
Registered
2016 Forester
4 Posts
Congrats on the new setup !! I'm a little late to the party, but that is actually what I do :) You have 2 very good products! The floor mounted Veigel is one of the most comfortable hand control I've installed. The RF360 seems to be the easiest to interface to the vehicle secondaries. Good luck and enjoy!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Congrats on the new setup !! I'm a little late to the party, but that is actually what I do :) You have 2 very good products! The floor mounted Veigel is one of the most comfortable hand control I've installed. The RF360 seems to be the easiest to interface to the vehicle secondaries. Good luck and enjoy!!!
Hi, Outlaw! I have a low-mileage 2010 Forester and will eventually need hand controls for braking -- and probably for accelerating, though that won't be necessary for a while. I don't know where to turn, and my local Subaru dealership in Santa Fe, NM is of no help. Can you give me any leads? THANKS.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts