Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
81 - 98 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Forester
6 Posts
unable to see photos

**** For some reason I am not able to see photos here???
► Edit - moderator's note - Photobucket was blocking 3rd party hosting, but it appears now they have amended their policy... allowing the pictures to display with "Photobucket watermarking".

Bobby...

·
Registered
2018 Forester Premium 6MT
34 Posts
**** For some reason I am not able to see photos here???
Because they're linked from Photobucket, and Photobucket requires you to buy a subscription to their website $399....no thanks!). We can't see them. There are some add-ons that you can put on your browser that circumvent this insane price-gouging.

I'm using Firefox and the workaround that somebody created isn't working for me. However, I installed Chrome....there's an add-on with that browser that currently works. I'd link it right now, but don't have the time (sorry). There's a Youtube video that shows you how to do it :).

·
Registered
2010 Forester
2 Posts
Wiring dual band hamradio in forester 2010

Hi all, I’m new to the forum and I was hoping someone can hint me to the right direction. I’m an amateur radio operator and I’d like to install my dual band radio in the car, but I’m not sure how to run the coax from the back and the power through the firewall.

My specific question is how do I get the back trim off so that I can hide the coax behind it? The coax will be coming from the upper left of the hatch and will need to route down to the floor under the driver side seat where the radio is. What kinds of tools do I need to pop the trim off without damaging it?

My other question is how do I route power from the battery directly to the radio without drilling holes?

Thank you for any help that you can provide.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
40,851 Posts

·
Administrator
2016 & 2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,475 Posts
Welcome, DE W1KYC.

Suggest you fill in details about your car and your location in your member profile here. This helps us tailor our replies to your specific setup.

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i
24 Posts
@Kg4cjv I installed a 2-meter radio in my 2015 forester. I'm unfamiliar with the 2010 Forester but it was quite easy in my car. The antenna is on the rear of the car...I run the coax under the mats up to the radio. I run the power cable (wires) directly to the battery through the firewall (there was an unused rubber grommet that I used).

Bruce N0JX

·
Registered
2010 Forester
2 Posts
Okay, so I was freaking out about this all night. I was not sure how I was going to get the coax ran for the radio, so when I woke up I just decided to start taking stuff apart! I decided to do a dry run (I’m waiting on the antenna mount in the mail) and I managed to locate the screws holding the trim on the back wall next to the window on the drivers side in the trunk.

I also got under the spare tire and figure out how I’ll run the coax under the back seats to the drivers seat under the carpet.
Hopefully next weekend I’ll have pictures and maybe a video detailing on how I did it, just in case anyone wants any tips.

The only bit that I dislike are those awful plastic rivets under everything, so I think I’ll buy a trim removal kit just so I don’t end up ruining them when I take it all back apart next weekend.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
75 Posts
Just saw this as I'm thinking of doing the same and wanted to say thanks for sharing! Does your antenna lead pinch in the hatch at all?

·
Registered
2019 Sport cvt
154 Posts
I found this thread as a starting point - for consideration of an approach for a 2019 Sport.

Initially would likely not deal with a motorized mount, but, even without garage considerations, parking structures can be a problem. I'd probably prefer an NMO mount but not sure there is sufficient space considering the moon roof and installed sharkfin. Also I'm a little concerned about the keyless entry sensors because they appear to be fairly close to the roof edges where a folding rack mount might be convenient. Anyway, it's a start. NMO also requires a more concerted effort to access the roof from underneath. There's another thread I've seen which shows the installation of a roof NMO mount and the puzzle like arrangements of various piece parts to get to the rear roof area and cable running is rather daunting. I think I'm a little more concerned about interference or damage between different systems.

My previous vehicle installations dealt with far less electronically complex vehicles.

@zelthian Yeah questions? How did the original installation work out, follow-up? A new question would be if the later generation vehicle electronics would be sensitive to nearby transmitting antennas, especially the keyless entry system sensors?

I might use as a starting point for an approach to using a radio with a separate faceplate was/is #46 in this thread. At this point, running from the rear power outlet seems to be a problem, it's not rated for the power draw I might need so I'll be running from the battery or tapping the fuse block.

Has anyone found a convenient routing point on the 2019 Forester yet?

·
Administrator
2016 & 2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,475 Posts
Because they're linked from Photobucket, and Photobucket requires you to buy a subscription to their website $399....no thanks!). We can't see them. There are some add-ons that you can put on your browser that circumvent this insane price-gouging.

I'm using Firefox and the workaround that somebody created isn't working for me. However, I installed Chrome....there's an add-on with that browser that currently works. I'd link it right now, but don't have the time (sorry). There's a Youtube video that shows you how to do it :).
As noted earlier, Photobucket just opened up access to existing pictures, though with a watermark. It doesn't get too badly in the way.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
10 Posts
Ham Radio Install

I have a 2019 Forester Sport. I was wondering if anyone has installed a mobile amateur radio in this model and if so where did you mount it, the antenna, and where did you tap the power.

Thanks!

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
40,851 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Looking to install a two way (ham VHF & UHF) radio in a 2018 Forester. Most looks easy, have a question about connecting the power wires at the battery, typically we connect directly to the battery terminals, however, now there are sensors between the battery post and wiring, which side should I connect to & why?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Just got a 2020 Forester and I'm looking for suggestions as to where and how to mount the face of a Kenwood TM-V71A.

81 - 98 of 98 Posts