Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

61 - 80 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Forester CVT
21 Posts
I moved my 3-way adjustable NMO lip mount from my recently sold 1999 Jeep Cherokee over to my 2015 Subaru. The rear corner mount position is certainly not optimal for attaining the best omnidirectional pattern, but it works fine for all the 6 meter/2 meter/440 MHz repeaters in my general area. To ground the feedpoint I used a few inches of half-inch braid run from the antenna mount to the right-side hatch lift.

I run between 35 to 50 watts on those bands and the Subaru doesn't seem to have any problems with that. However, the Subaru does seem to emit a fair amount of tick, tick, tick ignition noise that matches engine speed on 6 meters and 2 meters with no trace of the noise on the 440 MHz band. Using a VX7 handheld set to receive AM on the 6 meter and 2 meter bands it seems that lots of the noise is carried by the exhaust system to the rear of the vehicle so I'll run some ground braid at several points along its length to the vehicle chassis to see if that helps. The DC power ports appear to be very well filtered as there is no trace of electronic hash or fuel pump type noise on receive.

Obviously, I have some detective work ahead of me but I would be curious what steps others here have taken to mitigate engine induced ignition noise on HF or VHF with their Forester. With my old Jeep I simply installed Magnecor KV-85 ignition wires and it went silent. Looks like the 2015 Forester has moved beyond that old "spark" technology!

Rob W1AEX

·
Registered
2010 2.5X Limited 4-speed Auto
1,979 Posts
Good move on the ground strap. Too many people think the two set screws are sufficient for grounding.

I don't have any problems on my '10, but I did in my '03 Windstar. Grounding the exhaust system, both at the engine and at the rear, generally takes care of most ignition noise.

Lon - W3LK

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5X Ltd Auto
39 Posts
jblewis,
Just wondering -- when you say "distribution block" under the seat, are you referring to something like a RigRunner? Thinking of installing something similar on a semi-permanent basis so I can run more than one 12v radio or other appliance at a time, if needed.
Thanks and 73
N2ZQO

·
Registered
2015 Forester
2 Posts
Nice looking install, but I have a comment, based on more than a few years of installing radios, both amateur and land mobile.

Do not use velcro or double-faced tape to fasten anything down, especially a radio. It WILL come lose in an accident and become a deadly missile. Even mounted under a seat it will wind up hitting your feet, at the least, or tangling your feet in the wiring.

Chassis and control heads both need to be screwed down securely.
The two least preferred mounts are as follows:

Friction mount: Laying on the vehicle floor secured by friction to the carpet.

Projectile mount: Laying on the dash, secured by the belief in good luck.

Or just give in and screw or bolt it to something!!!

·
Registered
2009 SH X Touring 5MT
16 Posts
I really didn't comment on this, but the front of the vehicle is a terrible location as there is virtually no ground plane under the antenna. Most studies show signal strength from an antenna in this location is 8-10 dB down from center of the roof.

I didn't know about the obstruction angle, but it would not be at all surprised, Tony.
Yup, ideal antenna mount is a hole mount at the centre of the roof. Unfortunately, that's also the least convenient place to install.

You're also quite right that mag mounts are not ideal, but if they work for folks, all the power to them.

Another important point about SWR (standing wave ratio - the ratio of power transmitted to the power reflected back into the transmitter) is that most modern digital transmitters (whether in a two-way radio, cell booster, etc.) are much more sensitive to reflected power than old analogue gear, and an SWR of 2 or more can permanently damage a transmitter after extended use. Antennas properly mounted, but in poor locations (such as on bumpers, or the side of a vehicle), can still exhibit high SWR, since a some of the radiated power can be reflected back into the antenna from the near-vertical metallic surfaces (ie. the car body). This is more pronounced at higher frequencies, however. HF and lower shouldn't see much of this effect.

·
Registered
2010 Forester
1 Posts
2 Meter / 440 Performance in 2010 Forester

I have been running dual Band (2 Meter/440) Handi-Talkies and Mobile rigs in my 2010 Subaru Forester...with a Mag mount and a Cigarette Lighter/Acc Plug with NO issues until recently. Now (Started in the past 2 Months) if the Vehicle Moves at all... (Motor Running or NOT....Radio connected to Mag Mount Antenna OR a Rubber Duckie and a Battery) (IF the radio is inside the Vehicle at all... AND the Vehicle Moves at all... Motor Running or NOT) Reception is so broken it is unintelligible. Am NO mechanic and certainly NOT a Radio Engineer. Have never had an issue with any vehicle before and have run ham gear this way for years.
Someone has suggested I MAY need to replace the entire earth Ground system and Kits are available. ANY ideas? Ya ya ya Ya .. I KNOW...run power Direct to Battery and do NOT use a Mag Mount yadda yadda yadda... Been there and done that... just want to have a portable installation for short trips. NOT interested in taking a second mortgage to run Mobile. Any REAL help would be very much appreciated.

Doc. N7QBK

·
Registered
2009 SH X Touring 5MT
16 Posts
Hey Doc, I have a couple of questions for you.

-Could you help me understand what you mean by bad reception when the vehicle moves without the engine running? Why would it be moving with the engine off?

-Have you checked all of your antenna and power connections, including the setscrew for your steel whips?

-Have you checked every inch of your coax to ensure it hasn't been crushed, bent or cut?

-If you are using the radio while stationary, does it work ok?

-Is the bad reception on your end, on the other station's end, or both?

-Does this happen in certain locations, or absolutely everywhere?

-Can you describe the nature of the poor reception/noise?

-Does everything suddenly go from clear to complete static the moment you start to move, or is it a gradual increase as you pick up speed?

-Are there any beats or repetitive signatures in the noise that you can detect?

The more details you can share, the more easily we can troubleshoot.

Cheers,
Alex

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT Touring
3 Posts
I'm thinking of mounting a UHF/VHF antenna on my 2015 XT. It seems like drilling the roof isn't an option since the sunroof is massive, and I'm a bit concerned about trying a hood-edge mount between the hood being shaped weird to accommodate the intercooler and the EyeSight system possibly picking up the antenna waving in the wind. I'm looking at a fairly short antenna due to parking garage clearance concerns (maybe in the 2-3 foot range), but I'm a bit stuck trying to decide on an NMO bracket. I'm looking at the Diamond K412 but it seems like Comet has a couple options as well. Anyone here have any recommendations on a good hatch mount bracket for a light antenna?

·
Registered
2016 Forester
7 Posts
Installing ham radio in 2016 Forester

I want to install my VHF/UHF ham transceiver in my Forester. Does anyone know if there are any problems with interfering with the car's electronics? I intend to put the rig under the seat.
Thanks,
dnovak

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5 Premium CVT
1,400 Posts
If you do a search on the term "ham radio" you'll find a number of threads. Not sure whether they answer your specific question, though. Here's a long thread that goes back a ways:

Ham Radio (merged thread)

Mike

·
Registered
2017 Forester
14 Posts
Anybody got a Ham Radio in a late model Forester?

I wonder if anybody has any ham radio equipment installed in their Foresters. Especially 2014-2017 body style.

Where did you put antennas? Where did you mount radios?

I would like to put a Screwdriver antenna on the car. Not for operating while driving, but when parked.

Anybody been down this road before?

Thanks,

Ed Greenberg
KM6CG

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,825 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.0 XT CVT
48 Posts
I just bought my Forester (2017) on Saturday. I haven't done anything yet, but I have a 2 meter Yaesu rig I'm thinking about putting in there. First have to work on the whole 'how do I secure a canoe on the roof' problem, then I'll worry about the radio...

I'll be following this thread though!

·
Registered
2011 2.5x Premium
4 Posts
Ham Antenna Installation - I installed an antenna today

Hi everyone,
I installed an antenna today and I figured I would share it here to give people some ideas.

Parts used: -Comet HD-5M lip mount (UHF connector)
-Comet CA2x4sr 2m/440 antenna
-Yaesu FT60

I chose a lip mount to be more secure than mag mount and still not have to drill. I chose the CA2x4sr because it is only 40 inches but still has high gain and is very sturdy. Eventually I want a mobile dual band rig but for now the yaesu handheld does the trick.

Installation:
I decided I wanted the antenna on the drivers side of the hatchback, so I went from there. 20170304_165210.jpg
We removed the paneling below the rear window and going up the column to feed the cable through to the side cushion (The cushion with the recline button). The cable comes out from under the cushion and under the rear seat carpeting. 20170304_153538.jpg
We removed the the bottom of the rear seat (4 bolts under cupholder) and pulled back the carpet a bit. 20170304_152549.jpg
We removed the center console (2 bolts in back, 1 screw under e-brake boot, and a plastic clip) and routed the cable under the carpet on top of the hump (by the e-brake cables). We drilled a hole on the bottom of the center console (by the cig lighter, usb, aux) and pulled the cable through. The cable is never visible until it comes out through the center console. 20170304_152618.jpg
We taped the cable in some places so it doesn't rattle, put everything back together and installed the mount on the hatch. 20170304_165101.jpg 20170304_165106.jpg
View attachment 1
I clipped the ft60 onto the little center console cubby and plugged the radio into the yaesu 12v adapter. 20170304_181211.jpg 20170304_181142.jpg
First radio test was a success, I was able to key up repeaters 30 miles away on 5 watts and all reports came back great. Lots of s9+ signals. Hope this helps someone thinking of setting up a ham or CB rig in their fozzy.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2014 2.0XT Premium CVT
83 Posts
I wonder if anybody has any ham radio equipment installed in their Foresters. Especially 2014-2017 body style.

Where did you put antennas? Where did you mount radios?

I would like to put a Screwdriver antenna on the car. Not for operating while driving, but when parked.

Anybody been down this road before?

Thanks,

Ed Greenberg
KM6CG
Hi Ed- I put my Icom ID-5100 and Yaesu FT-857 control heads on the dash, on a Panavise vehicle-specific dash-mount (had to affix a lumber strap tie (Lowes/HD) to it to expand the real estate). The Panavise is a nice clean bracket that slides in between the dash components (have to pull bezels). Radios are under the seat (Icom under driver's, Yaesu under passenger's). All cables neatly hidden under the various panels. The scanner (BCD536HP) is mounted right under the HVAC controls using an RH96 bracket.

For antennas, I did two hole mounts on either side of the AM/FM antenna: one for the 2m/70cm antenna, and one for the scanner (800 1/4 wave currently). Had to skootch it back to not interfere with the moon-roof retraction. If concerned about vehicle value impact when drilling antenna holes, I can tell you nobody has batted an eye or offered me less $$ in 2 recent modern vehicle sales I've transacted . . each with two 3/4" NMO holes on roof.

I run the Little Tarheel II screwdriver with the 857 only on road trips, using the Diamond K400 mount on one side of the rear hatch door. . just down from the top a few inches (you can sort of see that setup on my profile pic).

Hope this description and the pics give you some ideas.

Attachments

·
Registered
2016 Forester
7 Posts
power from battery to Ham rig under driver's seat

As a ham radio operator, does anyone know the best way to get power from the battery into the passenger compartment? I don't want to use the power ports already there because of their minimal amps.
Thanks,
dnovak

·
Registered
2016 Forester
7 Posts
I have installed a 2M/70cm in my 2016 Forester. Power is from the battery and I used 10 feet of 10AWG stranded from battery to under the passenger seat. The plug I used is in the firewall above the gas pedal. Tip: don't remove the plug just drill a hole in it from the engine compartment. In the car, above the pedal is a cutout of insulation that the cable easily comes through. Route the THHN wire along the center console wall and then snake it across to the passenger side. It will then be easy to pull out the plastic trim and hide it behind there until it reaches middle of passenger seat, down under seat. I used 45amp Powerpole connectors at battery and radio.
For antenna I'm using a mag mount in the center of the roof. I drilled a small hole in the bracket holing the piston for the right hatch; down along the outside of the rubber gasket and crossing over into the rear at about taillight level. the Coax then threads through right rear clip, under the rubber cargo cover, under the side of the rear seat, under the front of the rear seat, and then under the rear rubber mat to the rig under the seat.
Photos are attached.
dnovak

Attachments

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5X Prem A
64 Posts
Mounting a whip for HF

Hey All,

I apologize for posting to an old topic and can create a new one if necessary.

I've been looking at using a 102" whip and tuner for HF in my 2010.
I don't have hitch at this point but I was thinking of using the rear tow point where the eyelet screws in.

If you look at the Icom AH-2B antenna, all that was a whip mounted to the car's rear tie down with brackets.
https://www.dxengineering.com/parts/ico-ah-2b/documentation

If I knew the thread on the eyebolt, i would use a rod or pipe and build off of that.

The tuner\coupler would need to be like a Yaesu FC-40, Icom AH-4, SGC, or MFJ long wire tuner.
Which leads to the second issue, the tuner needs to be as close to the whip as possible and have good ground.
Is the space in the spare tire for a tuner and the spare.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks and 73
Frank kb1qzh

·
Registered
2011 Forester 5 Speed Manual
1,612 Posts
regarding the bolt thread, I did some poking around but only found the following on my new Jeep forum

"The factory eye bolt is a special thread which is not available at bolt stores! It fits in perfectly nice and snug. Trying a m16 is close but you start to damage threads after about 4 turns."

·
Registered
2015 Forester
6 Posts
amateur radio members

I just purchased a 2015 Forester and I am also an amateur radio operator. I was wondering if there are any other HAM radio operators here in the forums? I'm looking for antenna:wink2::wink2: mount ideas

61 - 80 of 98 Posts