Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

41 - 60 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5X Auto
36 Posts
@Rumrunner And, Thank you for YOUR input, I had to scratch the paint under the set screws on the lip mount to achieve a better SWR.. and less static. :banana:

·
Registered
2009 2.5xt 6 Speed Swap version 8 6 speed sti trans with r180
4,150 Posts
For 2m I would think thats sufficient. If it were hf I would reccomend some heavier grounding to the chassis.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT Touring CVT
32 Posts
Ham Radio Install on '14 Forester

I have to admit, one of the reasons (though not in the top 5 reasons) I picked the '14 Forester was the anticipated ease of installing my ham radio into the vehicle. After I bought it, I'm pleased to report that I was absolutely correct on this point. :cool:

My ham radio is a Yaesu FTM350AR. It is a remote-head-mount only model, meaning the control head and body are separate, and you don't install them both as a unit. The head mounts somewhere in the front of the vehicle, and a cable is run to the body which is mounted... elsewhere.

So, first order of business... where to mount the body? In my research I found the cars101.com page for the '14 Forester, where I discovered that the cargo area had sub-floor storage. Perfect! I made it so:

Yes, I know, the body isn't hard mounted. There's enough friction around it to keep it in place, and so for this hasn't been an issue. Give me a break, the car is still BSN*.

Next: Running power to the body. Again, the cars101.com page reveals THREE (COUNT THEM! THREE!) 12-volt power outlets in the car: one in the dash, one in the console, and one in the cargo area. I think you can see where this is going:

As with all the wires and cables coming out of the body, I tried my best to route them through the convenient troughs that exist in the sub-floor storage material.

Now, for the antenna. Just so happens I have roof rails on my car. Sweet! I picked up a Diamond Antenna K9000LRMO mount at my local Ham Radio store (first place I went after I bought the car). It's a motorized mount so I can lay the antenna down when I park in the garage without getting out of the car. I mounted it on the back left just forward of the rear-most areo cross-bar:

It should be noted that this mount does not come with the cable assembly and requires a ground-independent antenna. I happened to have one; a lesson learned from mounting antennas on motorcycles.

With the cable assembly installed, it was time to run the motor control and antenna cables into the car. I ran them along the roof rail, into the back hatch "cavety", and down as low as I could before swinging them into the car:

Yes, I need to do some tidying here, but it works, and so far they're staying in place. And I'm lazy. I ran the antenna cable through the afore-mentioned troughs to the radio body. Easy peasy.

Now I had to run the cable between the control head and the body, and the antenna motor control cable up to the front of the car. The antenna motor control requires a 12-volt outlet. No problem! I used one of the three (COUNT THEM! THREE!) 12-volt outlets up front. I chose the one in the console, as this would keep the control button out of sight.

I let the right back seat down and ran the cables to the far site. Using gentle pressure, I tucked the cables behind the seat belt, between the seat and the side of the car, down and then under the floor trim next to the seat, continuing under the floor trim of the b-pillar (and around the seat belt), finally exiting under the seat. This keeps the cables pretty well out of view:

If I pick up the (currently recalled) floor mat, you can see the cables under the seat:

I routed the head-body cable around the seat support for some strain relief. The motor control cable goes directly to the console, where it's plugged into the 12-volt outlet. I pulled the control switch up and let it rest on the coin tray:

I tucked the head-body cable under the console and ran it like that all the way to the passenger footwell. I found something to run it around under there for some (granted gentle) strain relief, then ran it up next to the center stack to the area above the info center, where I mounted the head with the newer FTM350 head mount kit.

And that's pretty much it. Works like a champ.

Issues to resolve:
* The mic is currently hanging out in the well by the front 12-volt outlet. Need to find a more elegant solution. Maybe once the car is a little less BSN*.
* Need to tidy up the cables mess around the radio body in the cargo sub-floor.
* Need to tidy up the cable runs from the antenna to the car.
* I might re-route the body-head cable up the left side of the stack. Its current route tends to be annoying when opening the glove compartment.

Other notes:
* I'm using a Diamond AZ507RSP Dual-band "Slim Gainer" antenna, in case anyone was wondering.
* The cable between the head and the body is just a standard RJ-45 ethernet cable. Mine is a Cat 5e (cheapest the store had) black cable (to match the car). I got a 15' cable, and I'm pretty sure a 10' cable would be too short.

* BSN = Brand Spank'n New

·
Premium Member
2014 Forester 2.5i Prem Auto (CVT)
155 Posts
Nice work! Will be going through it when I put my Kenwood remote head unit back in my new 2014 foz.

Mike

·
Registered
2005 Forester 2.5X Auto
7 Posts
Ive got a Yaesu VX170 HT in a cupholder
I cant tell you what type of Antenna I have
or where I got it
Its a tiny mag mount, probably about the size of a quarter
but it works great!!
Actually using the radio is a pain, though
because of of all the wires and its location

Im looking to install my 1900 R/E
but Im not finding a great place
to put it, other than on the side of the console
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Attachments

·
Registered
2005 Forester 2.5X Auto
7 Posts
MrBuffles
I too, have an '05
Id like to see your install, if you dont mind

My cubby below my stereo is too small for my FT1900 R/E
( unless that cubby can be removed it might fit )

And the dash cubby has my GPS unit

·
Registered
2005 Forester 2.5X Auto
7 Posts
so far...

Not that anyone is still reading this thread...
....but here's what I have so far

now I have to find someone to hook it up

Attachments

·
Registered
2010 2.5X Limited 4-speed Auto
1,979 Posts
The angle bracket on the fender is the way to go. Both a magnet mount and a glass mount are poor substitutes for an antenna whose coax is grounded at the mount. While mag and glass mounts "work", the coax will have a high SWR and will radiate almost as much RF as the antenna itself. With the large number of unshielded computer modules in today's vehicles, it's easy for stray RF to have undesired effects.

Speaking as someone who did professional radio and antenna installations for a few years ...

W3LK / NNN0OOR (Navy-Marine Corps MARS)

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5i Base CVT
57 Posts
yaesu ft-7900. antenna mount bought at ebay item # 171019837214, coax cable ebay # 170866382724, 1/4 wave ant ebay # 400563564781
ft-7900 main unit is under passenger seat. subaru carpet wors as loop side of velcro, so if you have hook side of velcro attach to radio, it will attach to subaru carpet. easy to remove carpet , center console, even seat with 4 bolts. service manual of forester help in installation.

http://ag6ju-01.no-ip.info:5950/data-store/subaru/subaru-forester-2014-2-5i--yaesu-ft-7900r.html

Attachments

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Nice looking install, but I have a comment, based on more than a few years of installing radios, both amateur and land mobile.

Do not use velcro or double-faced tape to fasten anything down, especially a radio. It WILL come lose in an accident and become a deadly missile. Even mounted under a seat it will wind up hitting your feet, at the least, or tangling your feet in the wiring.

Chassis and control heads both need to be screwed down securely.

·
Registered
2015 Impreza 5-Door Sport Auto (CVT)
2,351 Posts
Not 100% sure, but I do think in New Jersey end of hood mounted antennas may be illegal in non-emergency response vehicles because of view obstruction.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Not 100% sure, but I do think in New Jersey end of hood mounted antennas may be illegal in non-emergency response vehicles because of view obstruction.
I really didn't comment on this, but the front of the vehicle is a terrible location as there is virtually no ground plane under the antenna. Most studies show signal strength from an antenna in this location is 8-10 dB down from center of the roof.

I didn't know about the obstruction angle, but it would not be at all surprised, Tony.

41 - 60 of 98 Posts