Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

21 - 40 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Forester XT auto
25 Posts
I think I'll be doing a 7800R in my 2013, my 857D I just pulled from the Jeep unfortunately has no display left.

I'm going to do an NMO through the roof, but will have to figure out where to put it and how to route the wire. My XT has the moon roof so i think that will put it towards the back most of the way. Will have to be careful there.

I personally really like RAM mounts, so it's very likely I'll stick a ball up on the dash somewhere. I get the Forester tomorrow so I'll have to poke about and figure out where I'll put the control head.

At some point I'll put a 102" whip back on it to use with the auto tuner again...when I sort out what the next HF capable radio will be.

·
Registered
2011 Forester Automatic
1 Posts
Dalius, How did you make out? I just bought a 2011 Forester to replace my old Trailblazer and am going to put my IC-7000 on board. I have my Tarheel 200 screwdriver and bumper hitch mount, so still need to put a category III hitch on the Subaru. What was your solution to the Power Cable problem? Did yo go through the firewall or did you use another route? Could you give details of your approach?

Thanks and 73,

Ian, KZ7N/M

·
Registered
2011 Forester 5 Speed Manual
1,612 Posts
I'll be interested to follow this thread because I'll be installing my UHF CB soon. You have a plan for your mounting and wiring so I won't share mine because your plan sounds correct for you. but I'll follow this thread because of my interest in amatuer mobile radio.

·
Administrator
2016 & 2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,315 Posts
Here's a link to the official favorite hole in the firewall in the earlier series Forester. It's right behind the brake fluid reservoir and a little bit lower. I don't know whether the same hole exists in the SH series. Check and let us know.

DE W1KYC

·
Registered
2009 2.5xt 6 Speed Swap version 8 6 speed sti trans with r180
4,150 Posts
Re: Ham Radio Rig in Forester ?

It does exist on the SH and is a great place to run wires.

AJ4MY

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5X Auto
36 Posts
Rumrunner,
I too am contemplating a two way radio install in my 05 Forester. My radio (Yeasu Ft-2400M) is small and will fit into the center dash console. I have a mag mount antenna but I think I'm going to bite the bullet and drill a 3/4" hole in my roof for an NMO mount Comet sbb-25. I'm concerned about the placement though. I have and use the roof rack so, I don't think I can mount dead center in the roof. I think a bit forward might be ok. I don't want to mount on the rear hatch like some others are doing.
Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
suggestions for antenna mount? I like the company Firestik they have lots of helpful info on their website. http://www.firestik.com/

this is there dome roof mount http://www.firestik.com/CatalogFrame.htm

they might be CB only but I think there is a lot of crossover technology. for example, I bought my hatchback mount (for CB) from this next company

Ham Radio Outlet, New Hampshire is very helpful on the telephone
Ham Radio Outlet - Contact Us - World's Largest Supplier of Amateur Radio (Ham Radio) Equipment.

your idea for roof mount sound perfect I wish I could do that but I like to tie stuff to my roof like when we go camping plus I'm not confident in my drilling mounting ability, just too scared to drill that hole. on my last 4Runner I drilled holes in the left rear side quarter panel for hard mount bracket and that was very good.

when I got my escape I experimented with the hatchback mount and it kinda stuck. I don't remember the SWR readings on the escape but I have a high reading on my forester. according to the truckers I broadcast loud and clear no whine no static and can communicate as far away as 6+ miles (good for CB). I seem to be picking up some more noise with the forester and my squelch is sometimes turned up more than on the escape.

so many things can cause a high SWR and this morning I was thinking it might be the lack of good ground plane, not electrical ground, but rather antenna ground plane(i.e. roof under antenna). in the middle of the roof with a magnet or hard mount you will have optimum ground plane. since mine is at the left rear corner of the vehicle I might get a lower SWR with a NGO no ground plane antenna (and cable?), but I also want a center or top load antenna for my weather bands and I don't know if I can find an antenna to suit my needs perfectly. I also have to tweak/tune my antenna and bring it down an 1/8th inch to see if that helps, a high SWR reading can also be an electrically "long" antenna.

still scratching my head and working things out for myself.

I got power using a fuse tap and plugged into the fuse slot for the cigarette lighter
I grounded the radio on a stud on the floorboard
I mounted to the rear hatch but also added a ground wire to the body
I don't have pics of the new install (except for the ground), don't know why, but do have pics of the escape antenna mount. It's not pretty but it worked really well.

the radio is mounted vertically on the passenger side of the front console. I snaked the power and ground wires through the underside of the dash but forgot to do the same for my remote speaker wire (which currently lays across the front of the console)

hatchback mounts are good for small light antennas, if you have something big then you might want a 3 magment mount unit, I've seen those
http://www.hamcq.com/antenna-mounts/three-magnet-mount/prod_48.html
http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/448283853/Mobile_Antenna_Heavy_duty_Magnet_mount.html

Attachments

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5X Auto
36 Posts
Rumrunner,
I'll have to think about that side mount you are using. I really like the cleanliness of a simple NMO mount with no wiring sticking out but, drilling the hole is worrying me. I might wait and put my roof box and my kayak on the roof and see if there's a place left for drilling. If not, I'll stick with my mag mount.
Thanks for the response and the links. Ill keep posting as I figure this out.
Chris KB1LOO

·
Registered
2012 Forester Auto
3 Posts
IC 2710 Ham Radio in Forester 2012

My son installed my IC-2710 in 2 successive Foresters. In both cases, he mounted the radio under a seat. in the first install, he installed the faceplate in the sunglass holder. In the second, he mounted the faceplate on a plastic tab attached to the roof of the storage funny under the center dash.

Both have worked very well, the second is just easier for my old eyes to see.

Bill

WB7UMM

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5X Auto
36 Posts
I just received my new 2 Meter radio and antenna.The dash cubby is out and I'm going to install the gauge pod with radio and clock inside. The new radio is the Kenwood TM-781 and it needs lots of ventilation so I decided the gauge pod would give me more room for a fan. I ran the power wires through the diamond shaped plug above the accelerator pedal and into the dash cubby space. The antenna Diamond SG7500 will be mounted with a Diamond CP-5NMO adjustable lip mount on the rear hatch. The lip mount is still in the mail so, I'm using my mag mount for now.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
sounds good. looks like a sweet small antenna and I think you'll like that mounting arrangement. but it won't have the same ground plane that you are enjoying with the mag mount. you might still consider a professional roof center installation.

·
Registered
2015 Impreza 5-Door Sport Auto (CVT)
2,351 Posts
I have been a ham radio operator since 1993. Just took ownership of a 2014 Forester. I wouldn't dare hack up my new vehicle with ham equipment. I do my operating from my home. That's my story and sticking with it!

·
Registered
2009 Forester AT
35 Posts
I installed a Kenwood 710 in my 2009 Forester. Basically I needed an APRS rig to support High Altitude balloon tracking that I do with my group. I finally got to try out the full up install last weekend. I've got the the main unit of the 710 mounted under the seat, display head in the cubby forward of the gearshift sitting on the supplied stand. I ran the power wires from the battery through the firewall plug. On the 2009 the plug is just inboard of the master cylinder. it is covered with sound insulation on the interior, so it is easier to remove from the interior, and pop out the insulation from the engine side. Once you pull the wires through you can tuck them under the center console until you run them to under the front seat.

Attachments

·
Registered
2009 Forester AT
35 Posts
Attached are pics of the D710 in the cubby, it fits pretty well there and is convenient for control until I decide to give it a more permanent mount.
The laptop is for running APRS software specific to tracking our balloons and is mounted on a Ram Mount laptop mount (special thanks to NikonCanon for passing along a deal). Attached is a pic of the base of the laptop mount - one thing to note - the Ram laptop mount is stout, but it does not match the 2009 seat bolts perfectly. The inboard seat bolt required that I use a longer bolt because there is interference that prevents it from from fitting flush.

Attachments

·
Registered
2009 Forester AT
35 Posts
I've run the antenna cable back to the hatch where I have comet RS730 lip mount with an SBB-2 antenna. The SBB-2 works great, and at only 18 inches, fits neatly under my garage door, so I use that for everyday. The lip mount is adjustable in several axes, so when the hatch is open it I also have an SBB-5 with more gain that I use while tracking on the eastern Colorado plains where the repeaters are farther away and I need better simplex. Since the SBB-5 is 38 inches, it will store neatly behind the rear seats in a PVC pipe so that I will always have it in the car.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
orbital - did you ground the antenna electrically? did you scrap paint on the hatch so that the set screws made contact? I did. I also attached a ground wrire from the mount to the screws on the body that hold the hatch piston. I scraped paint there too to be sure the wire had direct contact with the body metal. I was concerned that the hatch was insulated from the body via the hinge bushings.

another question for you please because you seem very knowledgeable. can that antenna be used for CB (AM band I think).

·
Registered
2009 Forester AT
35 Posts
The SBB-2 and the SBB-5 are dual band antennae tuned for the 2m and 70cm bands. CB is closer to the 10m band, so these would not work well. The comet CP5-M mount (I incorrectly called it the 730) will support a 60 inch antenna, so you might be able to find a CB model that fits.

I used a drill bit to lightly remove the paint under the set screws of the mount. I have not tested the SWR, but I have gotten good performance out of this configuration.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
ok thanks

I bought that mount not knowing the kind of antenna required so i called the dealer and got a different one with that would accept a stud mount antenna

I have high SWR but it works well despite that

party on Garth ... ;)

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5X Auto
36 Posts
Well, I just got my dash top double din pod and made the final installation. The new Kenwood TM-281 and the comet lip mount with a quarter wave antenna work excellently. I ran power from the battery through the rubber triangle access hole mentioned by numerous hamsters on this site. I made sure the wiring was protected with the black split tubing. The antenna wire slipped behind the trim, ceiling liner and down the front column then under the glove box to the radio. That worked much easier than I thought it would.. Modifying the dash pod was next. I made shims and spacers to fit the radio to the supplied metal brackets for the pod. I guess I got lucky because when everything was connected and the radio installed, the pod snapped in place perfectly and the space around the radio is almost equidistant. I'll fabricate a trim piece to fill the space and it's done. I'm so happy that I can perform these MODs and that there are parts available to make things look perfect. I'm also very grateful to my fellow MODers who've made these changes and documented them. I'll try to be more detailed in the future.

Attachments

21 - 40 of 98 Posts