Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
2017 XT Premium CVT
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, any ham radio operators out there? I'm looking for suggestions for mounting a 2m/70cm antenna on my 2011 Foz. Been looking at some of the Comet hatch lip mount. Is there a certain one that fits better on the Foz? Suggestions/advice is welcome!

·
Registered
2011 Forester Automatic
114 Posts
I'm a ham, but don't have a mobile/antenna mounted. It's something I've been thinking about from time to time, though. Definitely curious to hear what you decide to do and see how it looks!

·
Registered
2009 2.5xt 6 Speed Swap version 8 6 speed sti trans with r180
4,150 Posts
Im a ham as well. AJ4MY I've just been using a mini mfj hershey kiss mag mount since all the repeaters are easy to hit here in houston. The comet or diamond hatch mount should work fine. Make sure you get the heavy duty one though if its a rather sizable 2m/440cm cause the wind will push over the weaker ones with a taller model antenna attached. When I had my VW with a trailer hitch i hard mounted it to the hitch. check out my qrz page to see that one. On the Jeep I've got a permanent mount on the roof rack. Just make sure you've got a good ground whichever way you do it. Thats the most important thing in my opinion.

Sent from my ARCHOS 80G9 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
I just installed my yaesu ftm350 in the foz. Im waiting on the sticky dash suction cup mount to complete it. Should be here on friday. For my antenna im trying to keep it low key so im using the mfj hershey kiss mag mount 2m/440 model.

Its dual vfo dual monitor, so ive got two remote mfj speakers mounted above the driver and passenger seat to differentiate between vfos.

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT AT
1,295 Posts
I don't know if this helps or not, but I use a 2 way radio for my work as I need to communicate with logging trucks.

My antenna instal is on the left side fender:

The wire runs through this large rubber grommet:

The radio itself sits in the cubby at the bottom of the center stack, and is removable as I only have it in when I need to use it:

Hope this helps.....

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
Here's the antenna I've been using. You don't hardly even notice it if you just glance at the car but it works very well. Its made by mfj and does 2m/70cm and only cost me $12. I've been running a few of these for about 4.5 years and although they dont do much in the gain dept I've never been left short really for my needs.

I've got others that are larger for my jeep but dont want the gawdy nerd look on the subaru.

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
Here's a pic of my Yaesu in the Foz. I changed the screen color to match the night settings of the car. The tranciever is mounted under the passenger seat and this is just the remote mount screen.

·
Registered
2011 FXT
110 Posts
I don't know if this helps or not, but I use a 2 way radio for my work as I need to communicate with logging trucks.
That is exactly how I had my 2m/440cm antenna (Austin) mounted on our '10 2.5x, except I had mine mounted on the passenger fender. I was using a Yaesu FT-8900 with remote kit. Had the main unit mounted behind the glove box (perfect fit on back-side) and the remote face mounted in the cubby in front of the shifter. Worked great and was mostly hidden.

-ki4syr

·
Registered
2011 subaru forrester manual
36 Posts
Hi all,

I am looking at installing my HF Ham Radio transceiver into my 2011 Subaru Forester. I believe the instillation will be similar to how I had my mobile station installed in my 2006 Honda CRV - with a Cushcraft mobile antenna mounted into the trailer hitch, my automatic antenna tuner hid on top of the spare tire (donut), and the HF rig itself (an Icom 718) strapped on the passenger seat. I will run the power cabels, connected directly to the battery posts, through the firewall into the cabin. I plan to have my subaru mechanic run it through the firewall.

My hand key (morse code) will sit nicely on the dash. - not to worry, I only operate cw when parked.

Has anyone in this forum installed a ham radio into your Subaru?, or perhaps some other type of HF rig?

Are there any issues vis-a-vis the installation you have encountered that I should be aware of?

Thanks for any info you can share.

Dalius VE7ZWA

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
Haven't done hf in the foz but did do it in my jetta. I have remote faceplate units and mount the tranciever under the seat. Shouldn't have any issues though. Take some pictures when you install out so we see how it worked out. Theres another ham thread on the forum but only vhf/uhf rigs and antennas are discussed (briefly).

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=1234526

AJ4MY

·
Registered
2011 subaru forrester manual
36 Posts
Thanks Superacers

I shall post pics when I have the installation done. For the moment I am waiting for the power cable.

Dalius - VE7ZWA

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 5MT
511 Posts
N1RIC

My dad has the remote mount faceplate as well in his 07. Unit is mounted under the passenger seat with everything tucked nicely under the center console and up throughthe dash. The face is mounted just above the factory radio. His antenae is a window mount (2m/440)

·
Registered
2006 Forester Auto
145 Posts
I have a Yaseau 7800 mounted under the passenger seat with a control head on a pedestal mounted to one of the bolts on the passenger seat. I ran heavy guage direct wiring through the firewall. I have the antenna mounted on a Comet RS4700 on the rear hatch with a dual band antenna.

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
Love that radio. That was the first one I owned. Wish I still had it.

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5X Sp Ed Automatic
12 Posts
I'm trying to figure out how to mount my rig too.

First, where is the best way to go through the firewall (driver or passenger side?)

How to nicely run the wire to the cargo area or front seat?

Where to install the radio: create a bracket that will hook up to the under seat sub bolts? A bracket in the cargo side in one of the side hole ? under the tray ?

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
What radio are you using?

My passenger side is easier to get writes through. Run all wiring under trim panels around your doors and such. Makes things neater.

Ive got my unit mounted under the passenger seat and the remote head unit suction cupped to a flat sticky pad mounted right in front of my clock.

I've got a two vfo type radio with seperate audio channels so I have a speaker mounted above both the front seat belts right where the roof starts to curve. all wiring is hidden so you can't see anything.

For power I used the cigarette lighter plugin the armrest console. It comes on with the ignition so thats a plus. My radio only runs 50watts and I rarely use over 25 so the cigarette plug carries enough amps to suffice. If you have anything over 50watts I wouldn't recommend it.

I can add more detailed pics if you want.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Right now I will install a V/UHF rig and I would like to be able to mount my IC 706 MKii for longer trip.

I was thinking about installing a bracket for the 706 in the cargo area and a removable antenna on the hitch support.

But to pull a battery cable to the cargo what is the best route: battery, firewall (which side) then inside. Or is there a better route that will avoid going through the firewall?

For the V/UHF I want to use also a direct battery connection. I haven't decided where to put the radio (under the seat or cargo too). I will drill a hole for the antenna on the roof, but I haven't chosen where yet as I may want to add a second antenna mount for a scanner or second 900MHz radio later on.

I'm surprised by the lack of information about ham installation on the Forester. I was expecting much more feedback that what google gave me.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT manual
247 Posts
Let me suggest NOT going through the firewall.

Instead, and yes, his is a little more work, go through the driver's side wheel arch to the very large grommet at the base of the A pillar. I ran 8ga from the battery to a distribution block under the driver's seat. My FT-8800 is mounted to the underside of the driver's seat. Yes, the bracket is actually cable-tied to the underside of the seat. I have a single-DIN stereo, and the remote head for the FT-8800 is mounted in the empty DIN bay.

The antenna is on a Comet Lip mount on the hatch. It means I can't use quarter wave antennas, but something like a Maldol AX-75 works quite well there. All the cables are routed under trim panels, neat and tidy.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Let me suggest NOT going through the firewall.

Instead, and yes, his is a little more work, go through the driver's side wheel arch to the very large grommet at the base of the A pillar. I ran 8ga from the battery to a distribution block under the driver's seat.
I got a look at it and it seems doable without removing anything (except maybe the battery for better access). Just need to fish the cable.

So far my plan is to use 8 AWG cables from the battery to a dual fuse holder bolted somewhere near the battery, from there go to the lower left A pillar, near the inside fuse box install a junction box to be able to wire other gear from here (maybe a small 4 mini fuse box). From there another 8 AWG wire to under the driver seat, and one to the cargo near the accessory power socket. With that I should be ok power wise.

Still haven't decided yet on where to mount the V/UHF. There's still plenty of space near the fuse box.

1 - 20 of 98 Posts