Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5X/AFB
45 Posts
CQ DX. HF only, K4AD. Don't care for U or VHF, if I wanted to talk to locals, I 'd look you up and call your cellphone. Oh, and HI OM! errr 2. me, Hal K4AD

·
Premium Member
98 GM67 + 03 SG
358 Posts
I want to get my license and rig the Foz up for a mobile unit. Don't quite have the time at the moment, but eventually I'd like to do this. I'd like to augment the system with a nice scanner and maybe CB radio for regular communications while driving around. The CB may be overkill, but we'll see. I need the license first.

I'd say, "Post pictures of your setups" or at least parts lists, but I think there are pre-existing threads with this information.

·
Registered
2009 Forester
32 Posts
K8SEV (formerly AA0XH). I am leasing and haven't found a non-destructive way of installing my 2 meter rig. All that plastic makes for a more difficult install.

·
Registered
2004 2.5XT - Cobb Stage 2
565 Posts
I thought this was going to be about pork and pork related products on the radio... I'm going back to the bacon thread.

·
04 XS Prem Gold
2004 2.5 XS Premium 4EAT
279 Posts
73. N1PRS here. Yaesu 8800R in the Forester (see links at bottom of my sig, altho it's been moved down to where the normal radio is when I put a Kenwood GPS/DVD/CD/AM/FM up top - guess i need some new pictures).

·
Registered
2001 SOLD!
1,420 Posts
My father is a HAM nut. Running Icom. VE3 TCA. All I know is he has a kick *** radio in the basement and a 2M he uses locally and when he is mobile.

Was thinking of getting my license for HAM.

·
Registered
2007 2.5X 5mt
943 Posts
I used to have a 40 channel midland CB with a 260 watt pair of shoes on it and a 7 foot wip. Had it on my 96 ford escourt 5 door. Looked like a remote controlled car. Got rid of it cause the people i met on it were a bit odd.

·
Registered
98 Forester L
121 Posts
woo-hoo just got my license, wow it was easy, passed 100%!
looking at either a Icom IC-208H or a Kenwood V71A, already running a CB. Opinions on my radio choices? Nobody makes a 1-DIN Ham......:crazy:.

oh forgot to add: KJ6CFR.

·
Premium Member
2008 XT Sports
635 Posts
Nobody makes a 1-DIN Ham......:crazy:..
I thought alot of them were 1DIN in size (roughly).

Biggest problem is venting the heat sink.

Most people who really want to squeeze in an HAM radio get one with remote mount capability - the head is usually about 1DIN in front size.

·
Registered
98 Forester L
121 Posts
I thought alot of them were 1DIN in size (roughly).

Biggest problem is venting the heat sink.

Most people who really want to squeeze in an HAM radio get one with remote mount capability - the head is usually about 1DIN in front size.
im probabally going to get an Icom IC-208H with remote head capabilities. Alot of radios will fit in a 1 din size opening, but what im looking for is a radio that is made for a 1 din opening (like a car stereo). I cant find a single decent radio that is 1 din (Yaesu, Icom or Kenwood). The Kenwood TM-V71A comes close though.

KJ6CFR

·
Registered
2009 Forester
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
congrats on the new call Im still trying to figure out were I am going to mount my rig I have three different dual banders to pick from. No room for the low band stuff I own.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts