Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
04 Forester XT MT
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There was a pretty good hail storm in southern maryland last night. Luckily where i live in ann arundel county we didn't get any hail. Unfortunetly the subie is parked at my work while i work on my trans issue. i don't think there is straight piece of metal left on the car. The hood, fenders, roof, hatch, doors, roof panel above doors pretty much the whole car is now covered in dents. :(

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,254 Posts
Wow, that stinks!

It didn't hail in Montgomery County, at least where I am. Fortunately, had it done so, I parked in the garage for the first time in a few weeks.

Thank goodness for insurance!

·
Registered
04 Forester XT MT
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah i'm just worried how they are going to fix it i really don't want my car covered in bondo

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester 4EAT
5,462 Posts
Most insurance companies will generally total a vehicle for hail damage. Labor is what kills it. I bought a salvage title VW rabbit once that had hail damage. Seen many on copart too. Sorry for that dude. Hope it all works out.

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,254 Posts
PDR has come a long way. Meg (Rocketeyes) had hail damage the same, if not worse than what I imagine yours was like Brob. I believe the PDR guy got 99.5% of the dents out without much trouble or downtime.

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester 4EAT
5,462 Posts
Can you imagine the look on a PDR guy's face when getting that job? It's like two weeks worth of dents in one car. $$$$$$$ Easy money.:banana:

·
Registered
04 Forester XT MT
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i think i saw a mythbuster on a golfball car. i don't remembering it helping

·
Registered
04 Forester XT MT
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
heres a cell phone pic i grabbed before i left work today you can kinda see a few of them, figured i'd post it

·
Registered
2006 Forester
82 Posts
That's rough man... Hope there's a good PDR guy near ya.

The storm system with all of that hail passed 3 miles north of our house. I watched the storm from the porch hoping it would pass until a house erupted in flames a block away.

just go for the golfball look... it might make the car faster!
If you can figure out how to get more backspin, you should be able to increase your gas mileage by a good 12-18%

·
Registered
02 Forester L (sold) Manual
1,220 Posts
Most insurance companies will generally total a vehicle for hail damage. Labor is what kills it. I bought a salvage title VW rabbit once that had hail damage. Seen many on copart too. Sorry for that dude. Hope it all works out.
This is not true, at least not on a newer vehicle.
PDR can fix most of the damage. If a panel is really bad it will need replacement (aluminum Forester hoods are frequently one of them). We've replaced roof panels on really nasty ones. Only a butcher shop would "fill the car with Bondo". That's not a proper repair.

·
Registered
2019 Forester 2.5i-S CVT
11 Posts
Sorry to hear of that.
We had a huge hail storm here in Melbourne Aust a couple of months ago, my Fossie copped it, mainly on the bonnet, there was a lot of "write off's". Dealers and insurance co's still auctioning off damaged cars.
Mine is booked in for PDR repair early June, I will keep you posted of the results.

Forester X Newport Blue

·
Registered
04 Forester XT MT
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I started my claim yesterday hopefully i can get the adjuster out on monday and get the ball moving. I'd like to get the work done at my shop but the body shop side i don't think they take progressive for some reason

·
Premium Member
2015 Highlander AWD XLE 6AT
4,255 Posts
:icon_sad: Bad news!

I'm around the Beltway from you, and we also got hail on Friday evening. Fortunately, the Forester was in the garage. Our pickup is parked on the street and ended up with a few minor dings, so no big deal. The '06 Honda Accord, however, took a bit of a beating, even though it was under a stout maple tree. Just a few dings on the engine hood and trunk, but LOTS of little dimples on the roof. :tissue:

I'll talk to GEICO later today or tomorrow.

Best of luck!
Jim / crewzer

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 5MT
11 Posts
Sorry to hear about the misfortune, hope everything works out. We didn't even get a drop of rain Friday night in Golden Beach.

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5X Premiu
83 Posts
We had hail in Owings Mills about 2 weeks ago, fortunately it was small and did no damage.

I'm seriously thinking about getting a cover though. Would that protect against small to medium sized hail?

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,254 Posts
We had hail in Owings Mills about 2 weeks ago, fortunately it was small and did no damage.

I'm seriously thinking about getting a cover though. Would that protect against small to medium sized hail?
Probably not.

·
Premium Member
2015 Highlander AWD XLE 6AT
4,255 Posts
I'm seriously thinking about getting a cover though.
Something like this? HailBlankets - The Ultimate Car Cover

A model for my Honda is ~$300.

I've heard of a large heavy quilted blanket being used, but finding one big enough might be a chore, and you'd need a way to attach the blanket to the car. And, you'd also need some place to hang the blanket to dry it out.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

1 - 20 of 26 Posts