Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forester 2.5i-S CVT
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was caught in a massive hail storm recently, I was one of the lucky ones, only minor damage, but a heck of a lot of "write offs" in adjacent areas.
Most of the damage was to the aluminium bonnet, my insurance says they can fix it using a "paintless dent removal" process,does anyone know how good this is as a repair.

·
Premium Member
2015 OutBack Ltd
2,936 Posts
Sorry for your damage!

I've had PDR done to removed some self-caused fender dents that I did when I slapped the fender during a fall. The results were amazing. It does matter where the dents are and how "sharp" the dings are but it does, generally, work well.

Dents on a crease or contour line are very hard to get right but most of the dents are quite easy to do as long as you find a skilled technician.....that's the most important factor to consider!

Good luck!

Steve

·
Registered
02 Forester L (sold) Manual
1,220 Posts
As an insurance adjuster, we use PDR all the time. It really does work, and is far better for your car than messing with conventional repairs and repainting. The key to getting rid of them really is access to the backside of the panel. Hood bracing can be an issue. The aluminum is much more difficult to work with but not impossible, but don't be surprised if that part needs replacement.

·
Registered
2010 Forester
25 Posts
response to old post

As an insurance adjuster, we use PDR all the time. It really does work, and is far better for your car than messing with conventional repairs and repainting. The key to getting rid of them really is access to the backside of the panel. Hood bracing can be an issue. The aluminum is much more difficult to work with but not impossible, but don't be surprised if that part needs replacement.
At what point will an insurance adjuster total a car for hail damage??? Is that common??

·
Registered
02 Forester L (sold) Manual
1,220 Posts
No different than any other claim, typically 75-80% of it's value.

·
Registered
2015 Forester Premium CVT
157 Posts
I had big damage from large hail on a new Explorer back in the 90's. The repairs called for cutting off the roof of the car and weld back a new one. I took the insurance check and the Explorer to a dealer and traded it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts