Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
2008 FSXT M/T
3,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yes there are companies that make this kit, but unfort it costs a ton of money(upwards of $350). well you can piece 2gether the same kit minus some of the bling! or add some bling if you want, ie: slotted rotors, better pads etc. the only thing you must do is go w/ the older style brake pad d770(found in the 2002 wrx) and the clips and it will still come in much cheaper!

here what you will need:

rotor brackets: A-1 CARDONE Part # 141605 $45 shipped from rockauto.com
rotors: any 2000 legacy/outback h6 rotor will work. ex: duralasts $70 from autozone. i did centric premiums for $90/pair - they come w/ a coated hat = no rust!
pads: any 2002 wrx d770 pad will work, no newer style like we have. ex; duralast from autozone comes to $65 w/ the clips! i got some stoptechs, but you could do hawks or any other brand of your choice for a lil more!
pads clips: ~$10-15 from subie dealer or any auto parts store

so for ~180ish+ you can have the best bang for the buck upgrade around! not to mention put some more rear bias in2 your braking.

brackets - $45.50
rotors - $90
pads - $47.50
pad clips - 11.50

little bling, better brakes, and not too hard on the wallet $195!

· Registered
2008 FSXT M/T
3,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LOL thanks, this mod is a no brainer! better stopping power for under $200 bucks! i cant wait to install all these parts this week along w/ a fluid flush and refill w/ some ate superblue and stainless lines!

· Registered
2008 FSXT M/T
3,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I love my H6 rear brakes. That's a whole lot cheaper than what I got mine for, especially pads. The HP+ were 100 bucks.
well the hp+ are a little better pad. the stoptechs are less noisy and dusty but dont have as much initial bite. however, they are much better than the hps'.

I presume this setup does not apply to SF gen...?
im not sure exactly... does your sf have disks or drums?

· Registered
2008 FSXT M/T
3,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I can't feel the difference vs stock :icon_frown:

AT blue
SS lines
H6 brackets
EBC rotors
Hawk pads
which hawk pads did you get? just the fact the rotors are larger you should def see an improvement. i believe you are the first person to ever say you cant tell the difference from 1000s on nasioc who rave about this...

· Registered
2008 FSXT M/T
3,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
To the OP, what calipers are you using with the brackets? They are a direct fit? From what is posted in this thread the H6 and lgt are slightly different, but are the tq members the same?
you use the OEM forester calipers, thats what makes this mod great! the newer lgt calipers are different, thats why you use the brackets from the 2000 lgt/outback, no need to purchase new ones. believe me the lgt vented rotors and calipers perform better, but there is an added cost to those. i could have done aftermarket or brembos too, but i wanted some an improvement to the rear brakes w/out braking the bank!

Pads = HPS

1000s, 100000s rave about air intakes, BOVs as well...I have not pushed it to the limits but on normal daily driving I actually believe stock set-up performed better.

Maybe there is something wrong, will have to bleed the system.
the hawks hps pads are no better than stock so that might be the issue who knows. not for nothing if you havent pushed the limits how do you know if they brake better. :huh: @ normal driving there should be no difference in feel... the is a performance mod, if all you do is drive to the supermarket no reason to even do this to begin w/.

· Registered
2008 FSXT M/T
3,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Thanks! So 05 LGT Calipers w/brackets, 2000 up Rotors, and which brake pads??? I'm asssuming 2005 up??
no it would be an entirely different setup if you upgraded to lgt calipers. then you would just need lgt rotors and pads. i recommend the stoptech pads over the hawks.

the setup im talking about in the OP is keeping your oem calipers and the parts i mentioned.

if your brakes are rusty, just paint them and save yourself some money!

· Registered
2008 FSXT M/T
3,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
i wouldnt say they are deep... but if itll shave off a tenth or too, ill buy it. id do more events if work allowed it, but i do @ least 15 auto-x events a season, including about 20+ passes down the drag strip and hopefully a track event or 2 this year. i have 2 other cars i can DD that get better gas mileage and are more pleasurable to drive everyday in NY traffic and w/ crappy roads. i like to drive the forester hard all the time, coming from 3 other modded subies i wouldnt have it any other way.

ps if left nearly stock, the fxt would make an awesome DD - but whats the fun in that?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts