Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
04 FXT5MT
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am doing the H6 upgrade soon ( OEM brackets, stock calipers,290x10mm solid rotors ), are there any wheel clearance issues?
As far as I have read, it's a pretty straightforward swap/install, and I've not seen any mention of wheel clearance anywhere, so I am thinking there should be no problem...
I am currently on stock alloy wheels ( which I am sure should be fine ), but I am also thinking about getting some cheap steel wheels with some winter rubber; Is this something I should worry about when buying wheels???

·
Registered
2007 Forester SportsXT AT
1,660 Posts
It seems like one of my rear tires rubs a little after upgrading to 'rex 4/2 pots last month with the h6 rear rotors. I'm on stock rims with 225/55/17 tires. I wonder if maybe the h6 rotors move the tire in closer to the strut or something. There was no rubbing before the upgrade.

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,100 Posts
I have the H6 upgrade, and I ran 16" 03 WRX wheels with snow tires with no clearance issues at all. They are +55 wheels too. The stock Forester wheels are +48 and would give you even more room.

·
Registered
NA No more! :(
8,529 Posts
Damnit Autozone doesn't have anymore brackets for $24 a side. And new OEM ones cost a fortune, as do the RB brackets. BLAH!!

·
Ol' Timer
2006 WRX Spec-C 6MT
6,091 Posts
It seems like one of my rear tires rubs a little after upgrading to 'rex 4/2 pots last month with the h6 rear rotors. I'm on stock rims with 225/55/17 tires. I wonder if maybe the h6 rotors move the tire in closer to the strut or something. There was no rubbing before the upgrade.
I don't see how upgrading the brakes would effect tire clearance at all. It might makes things tighter inside the wheel, but the hubs were not altered and that's what the wheel mounts to. So there should be no change in the tire's position.

OP, I would just make sure the wheel can fit on a Legacy. If it does, you'll be fine.

·
Registered
04 FXT5MT
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks Sea-Scooby and Abacall; I really didn't think there should be any problems, it was just something that occured to me when I started thinking about winter tires.

(I know there can be issues with the big brake kits, and you have to be careful when choosing wheels for those, so I thought it was worth asking...)

·
Registered
2007 Forester SportsXT AT
1,660 Posts
I don't see how upgrading the brakes would effect tire clearance at all. It might makes things tighter inside the wheel, but the hubs were not altered and that's what the wheel mounts to. So there should be no change in the tire's position.
I wonder why it rubs now then?

·
Registered
none none
9,011 Posts
I wonder why it rubs now then?
Have you looked around in the wheel well? Whats rubbing on what? If something moved due the brakes, then something is VERY wrong. The only thing I can think of is the brake line not being attached to the strut and rubbing the tire?

·
Ol' Timer
2006 WRX Spec-C 6MT
6,091 Posts
Hijack:

Find out what's rubbing. That size tire should leave lots of room even with stock bits.
Is it the fender, or strut body? Is it only one wheel, or both?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts