Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Forester XT 4EAT
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which engine would be an easier install in the 2010 n/a foz? Or can you even put the h6 in a forester?

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,255 Posts
Neither. Trade your car in on one that has a turbo to begin with.

·
Registered
2010 Forester
173 Posts
Or, if you're really stuck on the H6, buy a 2010 Outback, Tribeca, or Legacy.

·
Premium Member
2007 XT Sport 5MT
24,017 Posts
If you're serious about the swap... get a late version H6 and ECU/ignition system (immobilizers) and do some fancy wiring. Essentially you should be able to trick the ECU into thinking it's still in the Legacy if you use all the matching ignition components that go with the ECU. You'd need the engine harness of course, and potentially have to rewire some plugs to get the ECU to match the Forester's harness.

Not quite worth the extra effort if you ask me, you're best to start with an XT.

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,255 Posts
I wouldn't even remotely consider it in a 2010.

·
Registered
2004 Subaru FXT MT
1,841 Posts
Neither. Trade your car in on one that has a turbo to begin with.
Yep. Swaps should be saved for cars that are already worn out and you are in need of a long, difficult project...

·
Registered
2004 XT
3,203 Posts
Yep. Swaps should be saved for cars that are already worn out and you are in need of a long, difficult project...
or have a HUGE wad of cash burning a hole in your pocket and then that begs the question why would you want to do this?

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
376 Posts
Would you also have to swap the tranny due to computer issues as well?

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
Would you also have to swap the tranny due to computer issues as well?
I feel like a swap isn't really going to work well at all in a canbus vehicle. Theres a body integrated unit built into the car thats coded to the immobilizer and ecu. Even just changing the ecu in newer models requires it to be coded by the dealership. I don't think I would even attempt a swap into any of the canbus equipped models. For the cost of a swap you would be able to just go out and buy a 3.6R or 2.5turbo model instead.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
376 Posts
I feel like a swap isn't really going to work well at all in a canbus vehicle. Theres a body integrated unit built into the car thats coded to the immobilizer and ecu. Even just changing the ecu in newer models requires it to be coded by the dealership. I don't think I would even attempt a swap into any of the canbus equipped models. For the cost of a swap you would be able to just go out and buy a 3.6R or 2.5turbo model instead.
No doubt, I was just curious. In the Titans we even have a problem with valve body swapping in what would on the surface and by all logic, seem to be an identical tranny but the valve bodies are different in some otherwise identical vehicles and the computers are programmed differently to accommodate them, go figure.

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,255 Posts
You COULD do a FULL swap, and merge harnesses. The gauge cluster and such don't care where the CANBUS signals come from, just that they are formatted correctly.

It's no longer a matter of switching the pin location of 5 or 6 wires, swapping an ECU, and doing the mechanicals. That's how it was for the first generation Legacys, but those days are LONG gone.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts