Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2005 X
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I read through the this thread on Nasioc ( GTWORX by BILSTEIN OEM fitment SPORT SHOCKS /SUSPENSION for 08+ WRX !! - NASIOC ) regarding GTWorx teaming up with Bilstein to come out with a new OEM replacement strut that is properly valved for a more aggressive spring. We all know Bilstein's reputation for making a quality product, and RCE/GTWorx has done a lot of research with the dampening characteristics of this strut. So what do you new Forester ( '09+) owners think? Is this a viable option for us? I know STI-NKR and I think a few others have done the '09 WRX stock suspension swap, and run into issues with the suspension being too soft. I think he also mentioned possibly changing out the rear upper arms since the Forester ones are straight. The soft floaty suspension seems to be a issue directly related to the newer '08+ WRX's and even though it got better in '09, in the thread, it mentioned that the shock is pretty much maxed out with the stock spring rate and height......lowering the car only makes it worse.

So now with these, do you think it will work for a newer Forester? Being that the GT Worx/Bilstein/RCE spring combo is designed to work together, would they function well on a car that the normal strut length is like 3" longer? I've pm'd GT Worx, but haven't heard back yet. Any feedback?

***BTW, there's also a thread on LegacyGT.com about doing these same struts for the 2010 Legacy as well.

·
Registered
27 car gear
846 Posts
The cost is relative, and actually very good for what it is and the market. You're going to get when paired with springs, a setup that is better than cheap coilovers, from a company that can rebuild your setup if you need it. All with the appropriate amount of travel needed.

·
Registered
2005 X
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The cost is relative, and actually very good for what it is and the market. You're going to get when paired with springs, a setup that is better than cheap coilovers, from a company that can rebuild your setup if you need it. All with the appropriate amount of travel needed.
See, that's what I'm a little confused, and maybe you just answered my thoughts. But, would this set up (Bilsteins and RCE springs...or stock, or whatever spring) perform the same in a Forester as it would in a WRX, with the exception of the drop being almost 3" lower because of the strut length? It seems to me it should. I know the Forester is heavier than the WRX, but the strut and spring are designed to work well together. This is what I'm unsure of. Also, because the drop woul be that much lower, does that change the amount of travel that the set up would have? No right?

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,129 Posts
Can't speak for fitment but I'd buy these long before I spent a penny on dicey $1K one size fits all coilovers unless it's just for looks...

·
Registered
2005 X
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can't speak for fitment but I'd buy these long before I spent a penny on dicey $1K one size fits all coilovers unless it's just for looks...
Yeah, I think the fitment is the only thing holding me back right now. I'm positive because of RCE/GTWorx's reputation, these things will be awesome. Once GTWorx can confirm how they'll work on the Forester though, that would be the deciding factor. I already have a set of brand new coilovers waiting to install, but would prefer something like this which would I'm sure provide a more comfortable ride, and I'm thinking will lower the car nicely.

·
Registered
2008 FSXT M/T
4,167 Posts
what coilovers do you have waiting to install? im 100% positive (if they fit) these will ride 1000x better than a set of cheap coils, and depending on spring used will lower the car to sensible ride heights w/ handling in mind!

however they will cost more than the cheap coils. figure 11-1200 range w/ springs...

·
Registered
2005 X
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
what coilovers do you have waiting to install? im 100% positive (if they fit) these will ride 1000x better than a set of cheap coils, and depending on spring used will lower the car to sensible ride heights w/ handling in mind!

however they will cost more than the cheap coils. figure 11-1200 range w/ springs...
I've actually got a set of brand new Cusco Zero 2e's sitting under my desk at work. I want to install them, but am a little concerned as to how the ride will be. I also want to lower the car more than I have it now ( currently on '08 Sti springs/Forester struts), and change out the wheels again. There's pros and cons to both set ups. The Cusco's will get me what ever ride height I want and allow me to turn up or down the dampening. I'm just concerned about the comfort level (even if set at the least stiff) as well as possible noise issues (clunks, creaks, etc). I know Cusco's quality and have a friend that loved his. But at the same time, I know RCE/GTWorx only produces top notch stuff and I'm positive this is no different. As for ride height, I know there was another member that installed '09 WRX takeoffs (Here's the link, see page 5 for side pics: http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f115/my-2009-forester-xt-46736/index5.html ) and said the rear sagged and the ride seemed to bottom out. The cool thing is the GT Worx/Bilstein set up has the adjustable sir clip in the rear to adjust the height by +10mm or -10mm. That should take care of the saggy butt, if not, Paranoid Fabrications has saggy butt spacers for the newer Imprezas that should work too. I'm just trying to decide if this is because he used the OEM struts.....which have been proven by RCE to be absolute poo. Miles PM'd me back and said he should know soon whether or not these will fit and if the brackets and stuff for brake lines will work. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, and if they do work, may have to do it. Hell, I want to buy them now and see for myself if they work.

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,129 Posts
Cuscos have a reputation for having valving more suited to glass smooth roads in Japan. What are the spring rates on them? Right now you're probably on the bump stops with the STI springs on stock shocks so anything will be an improvement I think.

You're not going to get a saggy rear with those spring rates (320/320) unless the rake is set up differently with the GH. That's close to double the stock rates. Hope it works out. Miles is a good man.

·
Registered
2005 X
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cuscos have a reputation for having valving more suited to glass smooth roads in Japan. What are the spring rates on them? Right now you're probably on the bump stops with the STI springs on stock shocks so anything will be an improvement I think.

You're not going to get a saggy rear with those spring rates (320/320) unless the rake is set up differently with the GH. That's close to double the stock rates. Hope it works out. Miles is a good man.
Yeah, that's what I heard too about the Cusco's too. As for the spring rates, they're 8k front and rear. I emailed Edo performance and they said that by changing the spring rates to lower ones ( let's say 6k front and rear ), I'd probably make the ride worse. Also, the roads are pretty crappy where I live, so that is what made me start looking into the GtWorx set up. I think the Cusco's will be fine, but I want to steer more towards a little more ride comfort, so I think in that sense the Bilstein might do the trick. My biggest concern is since the length of the Forester and WRX strut is different, that will ruin the travel/dampening characteristics that Bilstein worked so hard to get.

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,129 Posts
The best thing about Bilstein is their digressive valving especially when it comes to high speed damping. 8K is almost 2 1/2 times stock rates but if the damping isn't right it doesn't matter what the rates are. Even the GD STI was over damped and harsh with 4K spring rates.

Another thing is that most coilovers start out as slightly lower than stock so there's a chance the GR platform parts would cause more geometry issues especially with a non-bespoke coilover set up. The GTWorx set up will always perform as designed the qusetion is will they lower your car too much.

·
Registered
2005 X
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Another thing is that most coilovers start out as slightly lower than stock so there's a chance the GR platform parts would cause more geometry issues especially with a non-bespoke coilover set up. The GTWorx set up will always perform as designed the qusetion is will they lower your car too much.
That's the question I'm waiting for Miles to answer. He said he should know fairly soon if it's do-able or not. I'm really leaning towards going with the GTWorx set up.

·
Registered
2008 GRB 20th anniversary 6 MT
6,544 Posts
OhFiveX, have you had any update on this?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts