Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Base 2.5x foz
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will they fit a 2005 forester front and rear with STI springs and WRX wagon struts? (assuming they came off an 04 + impreza)

Also what's the going rate on these used? I'm looking at a set for $300

Thanks!

·
Pleiads' biggest leghumper
04's 2 FXT's.
9,266 Posts
Yes they will fit.$300.00 is high for a used set.

joe r

·
Registered
2005 Base 2.5x foz
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Seller says they're at 15k Still high?
I'm thinking maybe $300 shipped to me (cross country) would be fair

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,128 Posts
Those are actually a wear item as well dependent on the spring rate used. I generally expect to receive 1/2 price for any used parts.

·
Registered
2005 Base 2.5x foz
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input. I offered $200 shipped. Assuming they're the right year and all.

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,566 Posts
One word of caution for you.....

GroupN parts are nominally standard parts (so every STi has group N bushes and top hats in the show room!) many manufacturers 'bend' the rules by 'selecting' parts (with the same part number moulded in obviously - LOL) that are made of stiffer rubber and selling them for motorsport use, however as stock parts are eligable for GroupN and have the same PN I know of unscroupulous sellers that sell stock parts as if they were the 'selected' parts.

Simon

·
Registered
2005 Base 2.5x foz
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
^
Thank you for the words of advice. Any way to tell the difference?
How much better are they? I could just find some random used stock top hats instead.

·
Registered
Ah crap.. I'm back with my 05 XS
8,296 Posts
Are there any good alternatives to the Group N's at around the same price? I don't think so huh? Other than using camber plates or maybe some Whiteline Max-Cs, I don't see much options that are cost worthy.

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,128 Posts
You can easily tell Group Ns from stock by gouging the rubber with your finger nail. Stock is like cheese Group N is like a rock. In the U.S. STIs definitely don't come with Group N bushings or mounts. Wish they did.

Depending on spring rates they make a world of difference. Jack up your front end and as you lower it watch how far the top hat moves before the suspension compresses. That's a lot of undamped movement there.

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT
657 Posts
Price seems too high.

I paid about the same price, but mine came attached to some STi struts......

·
Registered
2005 Base 2.5x foz
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Yea, dude wont do under $300 shipped. Not worth it.

Are all group n top hats the same for the 04+ or will the STI ones not fit (I know some years had the inverted front struts like 2005 STI)

I found a new set for $130 shipped fronts only! Would that work with STI rear top hats and the WRX strut and STI springs?
Sorry for all the questions, this whole getting my suspension thing has been a rough ride. Just want to be %100 sure they will work!

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,566 Posts
In the U.S. STIs definitely don't come with Group N bushings or mounts. Wish they did.
Tell you what try reading what I wrote again, then again ten more times if you have to.....yes they do! But not the same part sold specifically for motorsport, it depends on what you mean by 'groupN' (in itself a very open to interpretation wording) if you use the loosest menaing as 'eligeable for use in GroupN for motorsport' then they do, caveat emptor as they say!

Oh and 'rubber' has internal damping, so while its not necesarily desireable, its not undamped!

Simon

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,128 Posts
I'm sorry, I wasn't talking to you but I did mean Group N as in the kind they sell here in the U.S. as an upgrade from stock which is what the thread is about I thought? English can be a complicated language if you make it so.

·
Registered
Ah crap.. I'm back with my 05 XS
8,296 Posts
Yea, dude wont do under $300 shipped. Not worth it.

Are all group n top hats the same for the 04+ or will the STI ones not fit (I know some years had the inverted front struts like 2005 STI)

I found a new set for $130 shipped fronts only! Would that work with STI rear top hats and the WRX strut and STI springs?
Sorry for all the questions, this whole getting my suspension thing has been a rough ride. Just want to be %100 sure they will work!
04-07 STI ones fit our Foresters. just use them with 04-07 WRX or STI springs. bolt pattern (the three strut bolts that connect the suspension to the body) is the same as 02-03 group Ns--it's just a different spring perch for a different generation of springs. some guys argue all you need is the fronts, so $130 shipped from TIC is pretty good IMO. I can't find any used sets so I will probably just go that direction.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts