Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2002 WRX
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At 105k, I think my engine mounts are done. The engine has a good 6 inches of vertical movement on the driver's side when I power brake the car. Is there much benefit to the Group N engine mounts (the under engine ones, or the pitch stopper)? Will I see much of the benefit with my slushy 4EAT? Or am I just signing up for extra NVH?

·
Registered
2004 Subaru FXT MT
1,841 Posts
I experienced a decrease in NVH going from stock to group N. But that was because my stock mounts were shot as well. Made some awful sounds during throttle changes.

So, if your mounts are shot, any new mounts will be better than what you currently have...

·
Registered
1998 Cayenne GTS 6speed
1,751 Posts
Why bother doing that with 4EAT, unless teh mounts are broken? It's very unlikely that you will feel any difference.

·
Registered
2002 WRX
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The engine has a good 6 inches of vertical movement on the driver's side when I power brake the car.
Also, turns out the dealership parts store has the Group N mounts in stock and they're cheaper than the Forester ones. I just hope there isn't too much vibration, really.

·
Premium Member
2004 FSTI automatic
2,643 Posts
Do the spark plugs while engine is lifted...as mentioned above, engine mounts wont add too much nvh, but a pitchmount will.

Having a 4eat has absolutely nothing to do with anything..except manuals have more engine movement, and benefit more from these.

·
Registered
Ah crap.. I'm back with my 05 XS
8,294 Posts
Hmm wonder why NASIOC folks are reporting that the engine mounts give more noise than the pitch mount.. they probably do it at the same time and just choose one to blame. :lol:

Transmission mounts.. now those will make much more NVH heh.
Got em Rallitek 4EAT mount bushings yesterday. Hopefully I can find time to install soon. Forman is so busy with S3 (I think) that he keeps forgetting to call me back!

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT Limited 4EAT
2,000 Posts
^ mines sitting on the trunk of the stang, need to do it also...

·
Registered
Ah crap.. I'm back with my 05 XS
8,294 Posts
do we really need a vise? i'm thinking about just freezing the bushing and then sliding it in.

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT Limited 4EAT
2,000 Posts
Not sure, freezing might work. I've got a vise at the house so will just do it that way.
BTW, you really ought to by Kens car!

·
Registered
2002 WRX
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hmm wonder why NASIOC folks are reporting that the engine mounts give more noise than the pitch mount.. they probably do it at the same time and just choose one to blame. :lol:
Group N mounts are in. Compared to a halfway mounted engine, the performance advantage is HUGE. :icon_biggrin: I'm thinking you'd feel some improvement over good stock mounts too though, even with the automatic. The throttle response from a dead stop is incredibly quick... to the point that I'm having to retrain my foot to keep from whipping my neck back. And the whole front end of the car feels extremely solid now, especially in turns, and when shifting weight side to side there is no slop or bathtub effect.

There is a little extra vibration, but only noticeable at a low idle, and definitely not harsh or anything. Kinda feels like you let the clutch out in a manual just far enough to start catching and dragging the engine down. You can feel just a slight engine vibration.

There is also a little extra noise under heavy throttle and high(ish) RPM. Really, I don't want to call it noise. Noise implies rattles or something unpleasant. This is just engine sound that isn't being muffled by the rubber so much. Before I could barely hear the engine, and now it sounds like the awesome knob has been dialed up a couple notches under hard acceleration.

Overall, I really happy with these. Probably not worth going out and getting new mounts if yours are already OK, but I don't see any reason why you'd want to replace worn out mounts with the softer style.

·
Registered
2004 FXT 5MT
1,142 Posts
Couple of questions. How did you know there were 6'' movements when you were braking? And did the Group N mounts helped with your steering at all, i.e. making the steering more precise?

·
Registered
07 fxt
396 Posts
he probly had the hood popped and was looking through giving it gas while the brake was pushed. thats how you check for faulty mounts.
i just installed group n mounts but i cant drive the car till after its tuned tomm.
it was super easy to do. one side at a time and didnt remove the pitch stop mount. the only hard thing to do was putting the bolts back in that are on the firewall side lol.
spark plugs are easy to. i did mine without lifting the engine in less than an hour from start to finish the driver fire wall side was a pain but thats it.

·
Registered
2002 WRX
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
he probly had the hood popped and was looking through giving it gas while the brake was pushed. thats how you check for faulty mounts.
Yep.

I think to improve steering, you need a WRX or STI rack. Or at least a good alignment and grippy tires. The front of the car feels more planted with good engine mounts, so it responds more precisely to steering input, but the steering system itself is still sloppy and dead.

·
Registered
04 forester xt
969 Posts
i just had the groupn engine mounts installed, it didnt make as much of improvement as i thought they would so i have the groupn pitchmount going in this weekend to try and get rid of the jerking when shiftin gears and the forward back movement. i can barely tell any vibes with the engine and tranny mounts

·
Registered
2004 FXT 5MT
1,142 Posts
The reason I was asking is because I just had a skid plate custom made, it wasn't a very good fit and the skid plate was touching the engine at three places. There were a lot more NVH, but at the same time, the car would steer and turn a lot better.

I suspected my engine mounts were shot, and the skid plate was holding the engine and not allowing it to move much at all.

·
Registered
2004 XT
825 Posts
mmmmmmmm Neoshi, do you think my "clunk" might be trani and/or engine mounts??

cuz i got a smog today and the guy said that he looked at my DHS engine mount and it might be shot.....

·
Registered
04 forester xt
969 Posts
the pitch mount made a big difference. the jerking motion is now reduced big time and no extra vibes or noises. i can barely tell any vibes from all the bushings ive done. it seems the pitch mount made more of a difference than the engine mounts

·
Premium Member
2004 FSTI automatic
2,643 Posts
do we really need a vise? i'm thinking about just freezing the bushing and then sliding it in.
yes...freeze,lube ,vice..in that order.

BTW, you really ought to by Kens car!
umm...i kinda disagree as i am looking forward to some of his parts.:icon_razz:

I wish I did the engine mounts when we did the spark plugs.... iirc '04 is the year plugs were a pita to swap.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts