Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Legacy GT
3,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished installing a set of paranoid fabrications grounding wires which I got for Christmas. The car seems to run smoother, I'm quite pleased with the results so far. I will post up some pictures as soon as attachments are allowed again.

The problem: Weird clicking noise inside car upon start up. Go outside and see that the front blinkers and rear brake lights are lighting up and turning off over and over. It is NOT the hazard lights. This happens periodically (every other minute or so) even with the car off and the keys completely out of the vehichle. Anyone know what could be causing this? Maybe connecting to the negative battery terminal? Maybe I botched something? a fuse? :?

·
scarred from battle
730 Posts
clicking noise could be a relay, but i'm not sure which relay would control the front blinkers and the tail lights, but not be the hazards...

·
Registered
2005 Legacy GT
3,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
blitzoid said:
clicking noise could be a relay, but i'm not sure which relay would control the front blinkers and the tail lights, but not be the hazards...
Maybe I should be more specific. With the car just sitting, the front blinkers and brake lights turn on and off slowly. When I turn on the hazards, the front blinkers turn on and off faster while the rear brake lights AND rear turn signal lights light up.

·
scarred from battle
730 Posts
Wow! That's just bizarre!

I hate to say it, but I think you should probably remove the grounding mod one wire at a time, and see what happens.

Can you take a pic with the hood open and post it up? Maybe we can see something's off.

The fuse box relay panel isn't too far from the battery, IIRC, so it could be that something got knocked a little loose when you were installing the grounding wires.

·
Registered
2005 Legacy GT
3,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well everything is squared away now with the lights blinking. I disconnected the battery for a bit and when I reconnected it, VOILA, no more blinking. Everything is running smoothly now. Nice to know I didn't botch something during the installation of the wires.

Anyone know when attachments will be allowed again?

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,441 Posts
ScoobyDoobie said:
Well everything is squared away now with the lights blinking. I disconnected the battery for a bit and when I reconnected it, VOILA, no more blinking. Everything is running smoothly now. Nice to know I didn't botch something during the installation of the wires.

If you want to host some pictures

www.photobucketcom Requires registration but is very nice because you can add pictures to your folders/organise

www.imageshack.us No registration required

·
Registered
2005 Legacy GT
3,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
SenorSubie said:
ScoobyDoobie said:

If you want to host some pictures

www.photobucketcom Requires registration but is very nice because you can add pictures to your folders/organise

www.imageshack.us No registration required
Cool, thanks. Is there a simple html code or something that I need to type to get the picture to appear in a reply (rather than just a linking URL)?

·
scarred from battle
730 Posts
use the button which says "IMG" to insert an image. Click on the button once, then paste in the URL of the image, then click it again.

it will frame the url with these tags:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Im currently trying to remove my front bumper to see where I can mount driving lights 8)

ScoobyDoobie said:
The car seems to run smoother, I'm quite pleased with the results so far.
I find this very interesting..

ScoobyDoobie said:
I will post up some pictures as soon as attachments are allowed again.
Yes please do, I really want to see what kind of battery connections and wires you have..

ScoobyDoobie said:
The problem: Weird clicking noise inside car upon start up. Go outside and see that the front blinkers and rear brake lights are lighting up and turning off over and over. It is NOT the hazard lights. This happens periodically (every other minute or so) even with the car off and the keys completely out of the vehichle. Anyone know what could be causing this? Maybe connecting to the negative battery terminal? Maybe I botched something? a fuse? :?
The grounding conector and the wire seems as a joke!
So thin and weak.. ..and I need to start the motor thru this in -20C! :shock:
I have not lifted the red rubber protection on + pole yet, I guess its just as bad..

No wonder why strange things happen :roll:

The OEM lights is weak, (no way I can spot a moose in time with them) so Im in middle of investigate remedies :twisted:
I really think theres more to it than just grounding.

My car is the SF5 type and I guess is same as yours?

hm, might a well take some pictures of weakpoints..
Im looking forward to compare with what you have :!:

..and I really wished I had documentation..
Not just electrics but olso some 'exploded views'.
I just destroyed 5-10 plastic 'fittings' today :evil:
What documentation is aviable? pointers? I really need them..

My english can only be better so bare with me :lol:

·
Registered
2005 Legacy GT
3,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here are the pics. Yes I know that the engine bay is dirty. Pretty soon an Optima red top will be sitting in there also.

After having these in a for a few days, I can say that a $30 mod that is noticable is pretty impressive. It could be done for cheaper to if you have time to DIY and buy, measure, and make your own wires. I have noticed that power delivery seems a bit smoother and less hesitant in certain spots. Idle seems less rough also.

noctrl, don't worry your English is fine. The directions I used are from the vendor and can be found here: http://www.camotoy.com/products/directions/subarurs/subarurs.htm

·
Registered
52 Posts
Thank you for pictures and information.

I did not get the time to look more into the wiring other than my lightning problems. I had to finish up before dark.
The only grounding point I touched was the one in front of the battery. I wired up grounding for my 'snow-lights' there.

My battery poles and clamps look the same as what you have.
Not so bad as my first impresion, I guess I was a bit angry over all those destroyed plastic clips. :eek:
A good clean and lubrication on the stock battery positive clamp wil do just fine for me. The grounding clamp and wires need replacement. I will replace them when I change the battery in near future.

I did take some pictures, but mainly of the front bumper, and all the plastic I destroyed in the process.. :wink:
I can post these pictures in annother thread for topic sake. :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts