Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Forester
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, I'm trying to diagnose an issue I'm having with my 1998 Forester. When I make sharp left turns below 10 mph with the wheel cranked all the way, it makes a noticeable grinding sound from the passenger side front wheel area. I should add that it's not a clicking noise, and there has never been a clicking noise, only a grinding noise.

The CV boots look fine, and the front brakes were replaced less than a year ago. Any idea? Wheel bearing? Steering rack? CV joint?

If you need any more information, let me know.

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,813 Posts
First. Try to see if it does a noticeable grinding when it's not moving. My power steering pump makes a grinding noise at full lock, even though I'm not moving. (pressure relief valve inside or something)

Second, there is a little plastic flap on the bumper directly in front of the front tires. I found out that mine worked it's way out and swung around, and was rubbing up against the tire. Freaked me out until I found it.

Third, to check for the wheel bearings, park on a level surface. Grab the tire and shake it. If it moves or feels loose or makes a popping feel.....make sure the lug nuts are properly tightened and try again. If it still does it, then it would be your wheel bearing.

Other than that, good luck on finding it. I'm not a fan of front-end rattles and noises. They suck to diagnose.

·
Registered
NA No more! :(
8,529 Posts
Tell me if the sound is coming from directly behind the cluster gauge where the brake booster sits..

·
Registered
01 Forester "S" (FS)
518 Posts
Third, to check for the wheel bearings
By the way, the "shaking of the tire" never works, not in my expirience.
The only way to tell 100% if it is a wheel bearing - and believe you me, I would know, had 2 (two) of them go bad in less than a month, one on the front driver, the other on rear drive sides - anyway, the only way to tell, and this is weird:

1) Jack Up the car - make sure it SECURELEY jacked up with wheels off the ground, and ample space bellow the vehicle for you to stand.

2) Get a really long screw driver.

3) Get a buddy to be in the car when you jack it up.

4) Have your buddy start the car and press gas really slowly - you dont want to go crazy now. Just get the wheels moving - ABS light will come on, but it will go away once the car is down and driven for a bit.

5) Press the really long screwdriver against the the wheel's rear hub assembly plate - you will hear: the "Whooo...Whoooo...Whoo" "Click..Clikck...Click" sound of a skipping/bad bearing.

Other than that, since they are all sealed, bearings that is, there is really no way to tell.

Also, what the OP describes, an intermittent scraping sound, especially when turning, comng from the front end - pretty much what was the sound I had.

·
Registered
1998 Forester
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Second, there is a little plastic flap on the bumper directly in front of the front tires. I found out that mine worked it's way out and swung around, and was rubbing up against the tire. Freaked me out until I found it.
Thanks everyone for your responses, they were very helpful. I felt like an idiot when I found out, but Blue Fox was right with the above response! I recently did a full tune up and must have accidentally messed up the plastic flap. What's funny is that it was noticeably sticking out too, I just assumed the worse. :icon_redface:

Thanks for the help!!

·
Registered
01 Forester "S" (FS)
518 Posts
Thanks everyone for your responses, they were very helpful. I felt like an idiot when I found out, but Blue Fox was right with the above response! I recently did a full tune up and must have accidentally messed up the plastic flap. What's funny is that it was noticeably sticking out too, I just assumed the worse. :icon_redface:

Thanks for the help!!

You are one lucky dude :Banane29: Better plastic flap than a bloody bearing any day. Wish mine were plastic flaps. :icon_sad:

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,813 Posts
By the way, the "shaking of the tire" never works, not in my expirience.
The only way to tell 100% if it is a wheel bearing - and believe you me, I would know, had 2 (two) of them go bad in less than a month, one on the front driver, the other on rear drive sides - anyway, the only way to tell, and this is weird:

1) Jack Up the car - make sure it SECURELEY jacked up with wheels off the ground, and ample space bellow the vehicle for you to stand.

2) Get a really long screw driver.

3) Get a buddy to be in the car when you jack it up.

4) Have your buddy start the car and press gas really slowly - you dont want to go crazy now. Just get the wheels moving - ABS light will come on, but it will go away once the car is down and driven for a bit.

5) Press the really long screwdriver against the the wheel's rear hub assembly plate - you will hear: the "Whooo...Whoooo...Whoo" "Click..Clikck...Click" sound of a skipping/bad bearing.

Other than that, since they are all sealed, bearings that is, there is really no way to tell.

Also, what the OP describes, an intermittent scraping sound, especially when turning, comng from the front end - pretty much what was the sound I had.
Thanks for that info BTW, I did the whole tire shake thing, but still have a few questions about your method, sent you a PM.

Thanks for the help!!
Glad I could help. Mine started doing that after I went mud bogging and thought I broke something bad, but I still have some issues. THANK YOU for letting us know what the problem was, as most people find it, but the thread is left hanging without a resolution. Thanks again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts